Troublesome Sysprep answer file

Hi All,

I am trying to sysprep a Windows 7 VM on VMWare to be a template for future VMs. I get

Windows could not parse or process the unattend answer file for pass [specialize]. A component or non-list setting is specified more than once in the answer file.

after rebooting machine from sysprep shutdown.

I am attaching the answer file I am using

Sample.xml

Something is interfering with the install. Many people notice this error with an HP SmartStart. I don't know what that is tho.

The answer file parses properly! How did you make it? Are you using MDT?

How do you do your install, is it from a DVD or from a server? Do you boot into Audit Mode using an answer file and then run sysprep /unattend?

Anyways, we'd like to see the setuperr.log from either/both of the Panther folders.

Tripredacus: This a VM on a VMWare ESX 3 which I installed using a DVD (no Answer file). I used WSIM to produce the XML file. The error withing the setuperr.log file doesn't say much, so I attached the whole Panther folder.

On the running VM I run following command

start %WINDIR%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /audit /reboot

and after reboot I do

start sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:Unattended_Win7_en-US.xml

myselfidem: I have removed the servicing part to no avail. How can I test the xml with WSIM, when I hit validate I don't get any errors.

Panther.zip

Edited by rojanu

Use an answer file on your install to put the OS into Audit Mode. You shouldn't be going through OOBE and then run sysprep. You uploaded the wrong Panther folder. Need to upload C:\Windows\Panther.

@myselfdiem I had no errors in WSIM. I did modify the CLG path at the bottom to point to where my Enterprise install.wim was located. WSIM did give me errors if I try to open it against just a CLG file for Enterprise for whatever reason.

@myselfdiem I had no errors in WSIM. I did modify the CLG path at the bottom to point to where my Enterprise install.wim was located. WSIM did give me errors if I try to open it against just a CLG file for Enterprise for whatever reason.

In any case I delete inside my Autounattend.xml the last line about (example):

<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim://byx1s4j/downloads/2k3/win7%20ent%20x86/sources/install.wim#Windows 7 ENTERPRISE" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />

And I see no eror after removing "servicing" part! I don't validate the file with WSIM but just to see if erors.

Really, WSIM doesn't care that is missing? Here is what my version of sample.xml has:

<cpi:offlineImage xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" cpi:source="wim:e:/sources/install.wim#Windows 7 ENTERPRISE"/>

Honestly, I wonder if WSIM even checks those servicing options. Are they normal for Enterprise installs? I've only used them in Server 2008 unattends.

here is the output of the setuperr.log

2011-06-08 11:56:04, Error CSI 00000001 (F) 8022001b [Error,Facility=FACILITY_STATE_MANAGEMENT,Code=27 (0x001b)] #1155# from CChildContextStore::CreateListSetting(path = /settings/FavoritesList, settingName = FavoriteItem[FavID=1], enumerator = @0x2306108, settingType = 16 (0x00000010))[gle=0x80004005]

2011-06-08 11:56:04, Error CSI 00000002 (F) 8022001b [Error,Facility=FACILITY_STATE_MANAGEMENT,Code=27 (0x001b)] #1154# from CWcmStateNodeCore::GetOrCreateChildOneLevel(fCreate = TRUE, fTopLevel = FALSE, fPredefinedList = FALSE, node name = [FavID=1], name in handler = 0, childType = 16 (0x00000010), childMetaData = @0x231e0d8, childNode = NULL)

[gle=0x80004005]

2011-06-08 11:56:05, Error CSI 00000003 (F) 8022001b [Error,Facility=FACILITY_STATE_MANAGEMENT,Code=27 (0x001b)] #1165# from CChildContextStore::CreateListSetting(path = /settings/FavoritesList, settingName = FavoriteItem[FavID=2], enumerator = @0x2306258, settingType = 16 (0x00000010))[gle=0x80004005]

2011-06-08 11:56:05, Error CSI 00000004 (F) 8022001b [Error,Facility=FACILITY_STATE_MANAGEMENT,Code=27 (0x001b)] #1164# from CWcmStateNodeCore::GetOrCreateChildOneLevel(fCreate = TRUE, fTopLevel = FALSE, fPredefinedList = FALSE, node name = [FavID=2], name in handler = 0, childType = 16 (0x00000010), childMetaData = @0x231e0d8, childNode = NULL)

[gle=0x80004005]

2011-06-08 11:56:05, Error CSI 00000005 (F) 8022001b [Error,Facility=FACILITY_STATE_MANAGEMENT,Code=27 (0x001b)] #1177# from CChildContextStore::CreateListSetting(path = /settings/SearchScopes, settingName = Scope[scopeKey=SearchProvider1], enumerator = @0x2322fe0, settingType = 16 (0x00000010))[gle=0x80004005]

2011-06-08 11:56:05, Error CSI 00000006 (F) 8022001b [Error,Facility=FACILITY_STATE_MANAGEMENT,Code=27 (0x001b)] #1176# from CWcmStateNodeCore::GetOrCreateChildOneLevel(fCreate = TRUE, fTopLevel = FALSE, fPredefinedList = FALSE, node name = [scopeKey=SearchProvider1], name in handler = 0, childType = 16 (0x00000010), childMetaData = @0x231df20, childNode = NULL)

[gle=0x80004005]

2011-06-08 11:56:05, Error [setup.exe] SMI data results dump: Source = Name: Microsoft-Windows-IE-InternetExplorer, Language: neutral, ProcessorArchitecture: x86, PublicKeyToken: 31bf3856ad364e35, VersionScope: nonSxS, /settings/SearchScopes/Scope/[scopeKey=SearchProvider1]

2011-06-08 11:56:05, Error [setup.exe] SMI data results dump: Description = This list setting is marked for add, but a list item with the same key value already exists.

2011-06-08 11:56:05, Error [setup.exe] SMI data results dump: Source = Name: Microsoft-Windows-IE-InternetExplorer, Language: neutral, ProcessorArchitecture: x86, PublicKeyToken: 31bf3856ad364e35, VersionScope: nonSxS, /settings/FavoritesList/FavoriteItem/[FavID=2]

2011-06-08 11:56:05, Error [setup.exe] SMI data results dump: Description = This list setting is marked for add, but a list item with the same key value already exists.

2011-06-08 11:56:05, Error [setup.exe] SMI data results dump: Source = Name: Microsoft-Windows-IE-InternetExplorer, Language: neutral, ProcessorArchitecture: x86, PublicKeyToken: 31bf3856ad364e35, VersionScope: nonSxS, /settings/FavoritesList/FavoriteItem/[FavID=1]

Above settings are in the file only once but system installed already has these settings!!

Use an answer file on your install to put the OS into Audit Mode. You shouldn't be going through OOBE and then run sysprep. You uploaded the wrong Panther folder. Need to upload C:\Windows\Panther.

@Tripredacus: I am installing IIS using the answer file as the application we test on these VMs is dependant on IIS to be installed.

Did I understand you correctly? Now I added audit Mode to Autounattended.xml file to get me in to audit mode straight after a install then do

sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown

as unattend.xml file is already cached.

[EDIT]

OK, now I am using Autounattended.xml I get most of what I want. The problem is that I now get the OOBE Wizard, which ask for user comp name, username, password etc. and two users I added in XML are not created

[/EDIT]

Thanks

Edited by rojanu

Alright, I see some things (not necessarily) wrong with this, but different than how I would approach it. Everyone has their own ways about doing things, that is for sure.

I would have 2 XML files. One for doing the install to Audit mode, and one that is used during sysprep. So in the one you use for the install to Audit Mode, it would look something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
<settings pass="windowsPE">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<UserData>
<ProductKey>
<Key>RHPQ2-RMFJH-74XYM-BH4JX-XM76F</Key>
<WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
</ProductKey>
<AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula>
</UserData>
<ImageInstall>
<OSImage>
<InstallTo>
<DiskID>0</DiskID>
<PartitionID>1</PartitionID>
</InstallTo>
</OSImage>
</ImageInstall>
<DiskConfiguration>
<Disk wcm:action="add">
<ModifyPartitions>
<ModifyPartition wcm:action="add">
<Active>true</Active>
<Extend>true</Extend>
<Format>NTFS</Format>
<Label>System</Label>
<Letter>C</Letter>
<Order>1</Order>
<PartitionID>1</PartitionID>
</ModifyPartition>
</ModifyPartitions>
<DiskID>0</DiskID>
<WillWipeDisk>true</WillWipeDisk>
<CreatePartitions>
<CreatePartition wcm:action="add">
<Order>1</Order>
<Size>20480</Size>
<Extend>false</Extend>
<Type>Primary</Type>
</CreatePartition>
</CreatePartitions>
</Disk>
</DiskConfiguration>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<SetupUILanguage>
<UILanguage>en-us</UILanguage>
</SetupUILanguage>
<InputLocale>0409:00000409</InputLocale>
<SystemLocale>en-us</SystemLocale>
<UILanguage>en-us</UILanguage>
<UserLocale>en-US</UserLocale>
</component>
</settings>
<settings pass="oobeSystem">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Deployment" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<Reseal>
<Mode>Audit</Mode>
</Reseal>
</component>
</settings>
<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="catalog:d:/sources/install_windows vista business.clg" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
</unattend>

So just those items from your current XML file. This will put the OS into Audit Mode. You don't want to do all those other settings at this point because a lot of them will be applied specifically to the Administrator account. Also, do not put the following into either of the XML files:

<settings pass="auditSystem">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<AutoLogon>
<Enabled>true</Enabled>
<LogonCount>999</LogonCount>
<Username>Administrator</Username>
</AutoLogon>
</component>
</settings>

So after your image PC boots into Audit Mode. Make sure you cancel the Network location box! Do not pick a location if it comes up. Then put your second XML file someplace in the OS, example c:\windows\panther. Also close the Sysprep box that is on the screen. When you are ready to capture the image open the CMD and type this in there:

c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /oobe /generalize /shutdown /unattend:c:\windows\panther\sysprep.xml

Now you are ready for either capture or test to see what it does when it does its first boot.

Also, don't worry about that product key in my XML example, it is the Home Premium install key. Also it appears I chose a 64bit XML so be aware of that if you copypasta any of my example.

• 2 months later...

I experienced the same thing for Windows 7 Ultimate!

Open a Windows Image or Catalog File

Because Windows image files can be opened only by an administrator or one user at any given time, Windows SIM will automatically create a catalog of the Windows image that you open.

Create or Recreate a Catalog

When you open a Windows image (.wim) file in Windows System Image Manager (Windows SIM), a catalog (.clg) file is automatically created. If a catalog file already exists, Windows SIM recreates the catalog based on the contents of the Windows image that you select. When a catalog is created, it queries the Windows image for a listing of all of the settings in that image.

Important

Because the contents of a Windows image can change over time, it is recommended that you recreate the catalog file periodically.

Regards

Edited by myselfidem