Can't run Win95 Safe Mode on new computer

Hi. I am trying to run Windows 95B on a new computer. When installing the OS I was getting an error message of "Insufficient memory to initialize Windows". I found a suggestion to add "Maxphyspage=30000" to the Windows/system.ini file before restarting the computer during installation and that fixed the problem. I then got the "While initializing device IOS: Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer." error. I fixed that problem by using the Fix95cpu file I found on this forum. Win95 is now installed and running. However when I run into a problem and want to boot into Safe Mode I get the "Insufficient memory to initialize Windows" error again. I cannot seem to figure out how to get around this problem and start Safe Mode. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I think in "Safe Mode" the memory limitation is being forgotten. It is as if Safe Mode doesn't pay attention to the setting. You need to get that limit into the SafeMode configuration.

Try this:

it yacks about system.cb being the place...

tom

Thanks Tom, Problem solved. I edited the Windows/System.cb file by adding :

[386Enh]

Maxphyspage=30000

Had to boot into Safe Mode twice to get it to work. Safe Mode works like a charm now. Thanks again.

Brian