tomasz86

Do you want SP6?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want SP6?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • UR2 is enough.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/23/2017 at 02:16 AM

4 hours ago, Martin G said:

Has anyone a recommendation what to do here with minimal impact on the system?
- Is there a browser which runs on W2K and supports actual JavaScript-Apps?
- What must be done (in a minimum) to install Firefox 54 successfully?

I have not been actively reading BlackWingCat's threads recently so there might be some development going on on this but currently Firefox 54 does not start, even when using the latest release of his extended kernel, due to "The procedure entry point SleepConditionVariableCS cound not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll."

The newest beta of SeaMonkey released in April this year however does work. SeaMonkey does not change its UI at all with updates, only the engine, so there is probably a greater chance that it will continue to work in Windows 2000. The extended kernel is still always required though.

I do not think there is any browser that still officially supports Windows 2000 at the moment :(. You can easily test the browsers yourself by using the portable packages from PortableApps. This way you will not be messing your current profile up.

4 hours ago, Martin G said:

@tomasz86: I saw your complete W2K-update-universe (wow!). But I am not willing to install all this. Is there a simple path for people like me who want to change only the minimum? And what has to be done then?

It is not that bad... There are only ~400 updates to integrate :P. If you are using an English version of Windows 2000 then you can download my HFSLIP2000 full pack where the updates are already included. You still need to slipstream them and install the system fresh. There is no easy method to update an existing installation. If you really hesitate to reinstall then you may try to install everything from Windows Update (as long as it is still working in your OS) and then install BlackWingCat's extended core and kernel over it. The result will not be as fully updated as when using my updates lists but it may be enough for you. Be sure to create a full system backup before doing anything though, and also remember that the BlackWingCat's packages are available only in selected languages (basically ENU and JPN as far as the newest versions go).

Frankly speaking, nowadays you cannot really do anything without the extended kernel because all the newest software will not run without it.

Thx Tomasz,

when I understood right, I can't do anything with an existing W2K version in my language (German). Correct?

I need to buy W2K in English and then download HFSLIP2000 or BlackWingCat's extended kernel.

Is there a way to migrate W2K (German) to W2K English without loosing all my stuff in the machine?

Not that I know of. But I'm pretty sure that an English-only (ENU, for instance) version of the exact same flavor than yours ought to accept your own valid license key all right, as a new install, regardless of language. So an original iso of the ENU version ought to be enough for you, no need to acquire another one, in case you decide to substitute German for English.

12 hours ago, Martin G said:

when I understood right, I can't do anything with an existing W2K version in my language (German). Correct?

I need to buy W2K in English and then download HFSLIP2000 or BlackWingCat's extended kernel.

Well, you can still use the updates listed on my site to create a fully updated ISO with HFSLIP2000 for a German version of Windows 2000. Of course, you would have to download all the updates one by one yourself.

When it comes to the unofficial updates though, your options are very limited. It is technically possible to forcibly install English updates over a German system, but doing so will result in a mishmash of English and German. Everything should still work fine but will not look very pretty.

Edited by tomasz86