XP or 7?

xmf

18 members have voted

1. 1. Buy Windows 7 or stick with Windows XP?

• Buy Windows 7
    • Stick with Windows XP

Totally go with Windows 7.

It's pretty much between 7 Pro 64 and 7 Ultimate 64 at this point. I'm just trying to figure out if you all use the VHD feature.

Thanks, Magic, for the link, but I still don't quite understand what Microsoft was aiming to accomplish with that feature. For home consumers who don't want to wipe their drives clean? Is it more for servers? Why do you all use it (if you do)?

I use VHD boot to test several Windows versions (Server 2008 R2, Win8, Win Embedded) side by side. I don't have to care about partitions any longer. I've I don't need the Windows any longer, I delete the VHD and the BCD entry. I can also copy the VHD to a safe location and make an easy backup.

For someone like me, a home user who doesn't particularly know what to do with VHD, what might I use it for?

Edited by xmf

if you never heard about it and never used it why paying a lot of money for things you don't use?

So if I'm looking at cars, and there's a BMW with some spiffy traction control that I've never heard about and never used, does that mean I shouldn't check out that option?

I'm B.Y.B. I appreciate the help Magic.

Edited by xmf

So if I'm looking at cars, and there's a BMW with some spiffy traction control that I've never heard about and never used, does that mean I shouldn't check out that option?

If you are looking for cars and your needs are for commuting from home to the train station daily (a 8 km one-way trip) and back and you never heard of traction control and you live in, say Southern Texas, AND you are looking for a BMW you have chosen the wrong car manufacturer even before knowing about it's spiffy traction control..... :whistle:, but anyway you should wait for the next snowfall, then ask the car dealer for a test drive..... :angel (which essentially is what MagicAndre1981 advised you about ;))

jaclaz

If you are looking for cars and your needs are for commuting from home to the train station daily (a 8 km one-way trip) and back and you never heard of traction control and you live in, say Southern Texas, AND you are looking for a BMW you have chosen the wrong car manufacturer even before knowing about it's spiffy traction control..... :whistle:, but anyway you should wait for the next snowfall, then ask the car dealer for a test drive..... :angel (which essentially is what MagicAndre1981 advised you about ;))

I'm not entirely convinced that you know exactly what my commuting needs are, or what state I live in. Hopefully though, you're right, because all the other extras on 7ult. are unappealing.

Edited by xmf

I'm not entirely convinced that you know exactly what my commuting needs are, or what state I live in. Hopefully though, you're right, because all the other extras on 7ult. are unappealing.

That's good :thumbup , since I am NOT AT ALL convinced I know what your commuting needs are. ;)

:lol:

jaclaz

• 3 months later...

I got a really good deal on a legit copy of Win7 Pro 64 and so far I'm not all that impressed.

There are a few nice conveniences:

- I was able to put a folder in the quick-launch toolbar which is convenient for my uses and I didn't have in XP (it may be possible to do this in XP though)

- The search feature in the Start Menu seems fairly convenient

- I could see breadcrumbs in W.E. being really convenient after I get a little more used to it

- It seemed easy to make Win7 play nice with my SSD

Pretty minimal stuff though...

I miss the up-front nature of XP. To me at least, it seemed a lot easier to access all types of settings. I'm sure familiarity is a huge factor here, but 7 seems to really be trying to hide a lot of the controls that many people don't ever use. I don't care about nifty new themes and visual effects in 7. Previews on the task bar, etc. Whatever.

I haven't figured out how to allow each folder to retain its unique view settings yet. Overall, it seems like a fairly sleek skin for the XP I know and love, a skin I think I could largely do without.

Thinking about going back to XP (in 64 bit). Anyone want to convince me otherwise? Is there more going on behind the scenes than I may realize?

Edited by xmf

How long have you been running Windows7? If this is just you having used it for a matter of hours, stick with it for a while (a week at least). Get used to things like Aero Peek (you say you don't care about visual effects - this one is genuinely useful) or integrated search (which is way faster than any third-party solution I've tried on XP). Not having to bother with the Start Menu flying out across the screen is another nice perk as well.

If you're going for new hardware get the new operating system. There are hardware features that simply aren't supported well under a 10 year old OS such as XP, and you'll likely get better performance from Windows7, especially if you go with an SSD for your boot drive.

Note you're going to start seeing computer OEMs like Dell, Lenovo, and HP start to skip releasing XP drivers for hardware soon, and while building boxes on your own usually buys you more time in that arena, you still will find it near impossible in a short few years to get drivers for XP for even mainstream hardware. I would have to agree here with Zxian, Andre, and perhaps a few others - give it a try (180 day trial of Enterprise is indeed legal and free), and see if you can use Windows 7 or not. Generally, unless you're a diehard or have somewhat obscure hardware or software requirements, you can run Windows 7 without issue with your usual programs. Windows 7 is not change for change's sake, and a lot of the features really are useful. If you find after a trial that you just cannot change your computing habits a bit, though, you can always acquire a copy of XP from your favorite retailer and use that instead.

How long have you been running Windows7? If this is just you having used it for a matter of hours, stick with it for a while (a week at least). Get used to things like Aero Peek (you say you don't care about visual effects - this one is genuinely useful) or integrated search (which is way faster than any third-party solution I've tried on XP). Not having to bother with the Start Menu flying out across the screen is another nice perk as well.

If you're going for new hardware get the new operating system. There are hardware features that simply aren't supported well under a 10 year old OS such as XP, and you'll likely get better performance from Windows7, especially if you go with an SSD for your boot drive.

At the time of my first post I believe I'd been using seven for 6 days. The computer does have new hardware and I'm getting used to things now (w/SSD boot drive btw). I don't quite understand your comment about the start menu. What is enabling you to use it less? These responses are very encouraging to keep going on 7.