XP or 7?

xmf

18 members have voted

1. 1. Buy Windows 7 or stick with Windows XP?

• Buy Windows 7
    • Stick with Windows XP

I'm gearing up for a new system and I'm not sure whether to buy 7 or stick with XP.

I'm not a gamer (though I may occasionally install an old game or venture out for a new one), nor am I obsessed with syncing smart devices and the like (I hear 7 is good for that).

The system will be used primarily for basic tasks such as internet, word proc., playing music, movies, etc.

I quite enjoy my XP installs (currently using XP Pro) - they feel very streamlined and fairly no-nonsense for a Windows install.

I'm committed to sticking with Windows for now.

Would I be missing out on performance or the maximizing of some great new hardware if I stick with XP?

Flashy looks, etc. I don't really care about (although I've seen some really nice custom desktops running 7).

TIA

If you can afford 7 Ultimate and XP Pro, I'd say you should create a double boot machine, especially in case you go with the hardware CoffeeFiend suggested you. Why not have the best of both worlds?

If you can afford 7 Ultimate and XP Pro, I'd say you should create a double boot machine, especially in case you go with the hardware CoffeeFiend suggested you. Why not have the best of both worlds?

Interesting. Poking around online I found that XP won't support more than 3.xx gb of RAM. That's pretty much a deal killer right there (I think).

Also, why go 7 ultimate (vs 7 Pro) when the only differences are language support and bitlocker (which I won't use)? Am I missing something?

Edited by xmf

Neither 7 Ultimate x86 will.

For that you need a x64 OS. Both 7 Ultimate and XP have x64 versions, which do support >> 3 GiB

Thanks for the explanation. So I'll definitely be buying a new OS then. Now, which to choose...

If you don't need XP Mode then you can settle for Home Premium—there's always VirtualBox if you want to use XP (provided you have a spare XP CD)..

And if you don't want the eye candy or Media Center then Home Basic should suffice. :)

yes, but vboot doesn't really work. It crashes so often and damages the VHDs. I gave it up to use the tool.

Sure, life is tough :(.

Though what would you expect from experimental things you can have for free?

As soon as vboot will work, it will become a Commercial program, anyway.

wimb's approach does work and is surprisingly stable - at least for me and using XP.

jaclaz