Need help for HDD partion

kali

I’ve bought a Hard disk of size 500 GB. I decided to allocate C drive 20 GB. One of my friends told me this size will be harmful for my hard disk and advised me to allocate C drive 50 GB for safety. He told C drive should be Minimum One 3rd of HDD.

Is there any rule to allocate HDD partitions size?

I’ll make my HDD dual boot (XP and win7). What size of partition will be preferable for dual boot. I’ll need 15GB for XP.

I'd say it really depends on which OS you will be using on the partition. If you're installing Win7 on a 20GB partition, I'm afraid you will need more. The system requirement is at least 15GB; take into consideration the pagefile, the programs you're going to install and the defragmentation minimum in percent, so I'd go for at least 30GB. However, other users might have more experience with dual booting.

Cheers

I'd say it really depends on which OS you will be using on the partition.

I want C drive for XP and D for Win7. Of course I'll allocate D drive 40 GB.

If I make this HDD single boot (XP), what size will not be harmful for HDD? 15 GB will be sufficient for my XP. I want to know what size is harmful for HDD?

You have a 500Gb hard drive - why are you limiting the partitions just to install the OS?

Just create a 125Gb for XP, another 125Gb for Win7 and the rest for whatever.

Boot from the XP CD and install it first; boot from the Win7 DVD and install it. This will create the dual-boot option when you start the system. Done

You have a 500Gb hard drive - why are you limiting the partitions just to install the OS?

Just create a 125Gb for XP, another 125Gb for Win7 and the rest for whatever.

I use Windows drive only for Windows and installing software. For these 20/25 GB will be sufficient for me for XP. So 125GB will be unnecessary for me.

However size is not matter. I just wanted comments about my friend's advice that I heard never before (15 GB Partition will be harmful in 500 GB HDD).

Boot from the XP CD and install it first; boot from the Win7 DVD and install it. This will create the dual-boot option when you start the system. Done

Good advises. Thanks

Never heard of a harmful size of partition and i also don't see how there might be one.

Me too

Thanks all for comments.

Edited by kali

I use Windows drive only for Windows and installing software. For these 20/25 GB will be sufficient for me for XP. So 125GB will be unnecessary for me.

However size is not matter. I just wanted comments about my friend's advice that I heard never before (15 GB Partition will be harmful in 500 GB HDD).

There is a very good English word for it, word that we are not allowed to write on the forum :whistle: but that is related to what comes out of a crack in the back of a male large mammal sporting huge horns. :rolleyes:

Tell your friend that the real problem is if the partition ends at cylinder 666 :w00t:, but that's about 5 Gb..... :angel

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz