New Stinger Update Version Out

Monroe

New version of Stinger released on May 19th ... still works on Windows 98SE. Nice little virus "quick check" program to have on hand, if you don't keep a regular virus detection program on your computer.

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/how-to-use-stinger.aspx

McAfee Labs Stinger

Build Number: 10.1.0.1601

Build Date: 19-May-2011

Stinger is a standalone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist administrators and users when dealing with an infected system. Stinger utilizes next-generation scan engine technology, including process scanning, digitally signed .DAT files, and scan performance optimizations. It detects and removes threats identified under the "List Viruses" icon in the Stinger application.

There is a note for Windows ME/XP/Vista users to read this first. It's instructions on how to disable system restore.

I tried Stinger on 98SE last year to see if it still worked. It worked ok but it also deleted entries in the registry for another old McAfee app I have installed causing it to stop working. Reinstalling the app fixed the problem but sheesh!!!

I never noticed any problems with Stinger on any of my computers. I don't have any other McAfee products on my computer however ... so I don't know. I've always kept the latest update version handy ... "just in case" ! ... I was glad to see it still works with Windows 98.