[Solved] Shortcut icons corrupt

lost_packet

EeFQJ.jpg

I've had this issue before on another computer; then it cleared with some unknown action I performed. This is a new install (went 'clean install' for SP1 as it bluescreened as update) on exactly the same hardware that performed normally previously. As in the example picture, all shortcut icons (internet and file) have a black square superimposed over the lower left side.

What I am running:

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit with ATI HD 5450 graphics card, 1920 x 1024 resolution.

What I have tried so far:

Installed an updated graphics driver (catalyst driver without CCC the second time), tried new screen resolutions, removed system generated shortcut icon arrow and added it back, deleted the icon cache and rebuilt it.

Interestingly, the black square appears in List, Details, Small icon (in these three there's no picture, just a plain black square), Tile and Medium icon. In Large and Extra Large the icon is normal. If I then return to Tile after viewing Large, the icon has been repaired.

Edited by lost_packet

What I have tried so far:

...removed system generated shortcut icon arrow and added it back, deleted the icon cache and rebuilt it.

It happens when we use a registry file incorrect to remove the shorcut arrow!

It happens when we use a registry file incorrect to remove the shorcut arrow!

I didn't use a registry file to do this. I used "The Ultimate Windows Tweaker" from The Windows Club (freeware) which gave no issues before.

Can you be specific about the registry entry I should check?

You can launch Ultimate Windows Tweaker.exe to restore the arrows from shorcuts icons:

1) Inside the left pane: select: Additional Tweaks

Uncheck: Remove arrows from Shorcut Icons

Restart the computer to see effect!

2) Or you can delete this reg key (maybe 2 reg keys).

Restart the computer to see effect!

Arrows_Shorcut.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Restore Arrows from Shorcut Icons

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons]
"29"="empty.ico,0"

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons]
"29"="empty.ico,0"

Arrows Shorcut Icons:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/how-to/remove-windows-7-shortcut-icon-arrow-overlay/

If you want keep the Icons whithout arrows, you can try to copy/paste the file empty.ico inside C:\Windows

And add this reg key below

You will find the empty.ico file inside the folder uwt\UWT v2.2

Shorcut Icons .reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons]
"29"="C:\\Windows\\empty.ico,0"

Edited by myselfidem

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons]
"29"="empty.ico,0"

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons]
"29"="empty.ico,0"

I have neither of these reg keys, and neither is created with the Ultimate Windows Tweaker "remove arrows on shortcuts" tweak. No reference whatever to "empty.ico" in the registry!

I am convinced the issue is something within the graphics rendering of transparency on icons at a certain resolution. I should point out that I have Aero switched on, and at 110% text size, but the effect of the black square persists in Vista Basic theme (haven't tried rebooting with that set, though). If I revert to 100% text size (default) shortcut icons magically become normal. Upon reboot, the black square is back.

The empty.ico file inside the Ultimate Windows Tweaker folder appears on my system as a black box, nothing else, if viewed in Tile view or smaller. Once we reach "Medium Icons" it becomes a proper transparent icon. then reverting to Tiles shows it still as transparent.

I'd love to know more about this problem - especially because, as I said, this SP1 install is on identical hardware with practically identical programs.

Edited by lost_packet

I have temporarily restored the shortcut arrows on this rig. Big and gangly though they are, the arrows are better than looking at a gaping maw of black square sitting over nearly half an icon.

Still hoping that someone else has found a successful way to remove arrows from shortcut icons.

When I use the method explained above, I haven't any problem even if I change the size icons on the Desktop! The arrows are removed from the shorcut icons!

As I said in my reply to you, The empty.ico file inside the Ultimate Windows Tweaker folder shows as a black box on my system. Thus, pasting a link for this to appear in place of the system's shortcut arrow is why I see a black box over any shortcut icon. This much I've established, although the graphics complexities of why it is black in some icon sizes and transparent in others is beyond me at the moment.

You are using Win 7, x86, is that right? Perhaps the registry entries you gave work only in 32-bit systems. I'm using 64-bit Win 7, and those registry entries do nothing in mine.

I solved this issue.

Having tried just about all the options for removing this accursed arrow, I found that the replacement icon overlay itself is the problem. It does not contain all possible icon sizes, and setting it to total transparency borks some graphics setups. I'm not the only one reporting a black square over shortcuts. Whether it's a reg. import linking to the file or programs like Ultimate Windows Tweaker or Yamicsoft Windows 7 Manager, that black square still appears.

Here is the icon file you need in place of the empty.ico in any other application or tutorial: https://rapidshare.com/files/1753700483/empty.zip

It's an icon overlay with 1% opacity (essentially it looks the same as 100% transparent) in all the possible icon sizes. If you are using software to remove the icon arrow, put the new empty.ico in the folder to overwrite the old one and procede as normal.

Will Microsoft make ditching the shortcut arrow easier in Windows 8? Don't hold your breath...

Your download link isn't available!?

Interesting result. The first time I tried it, I was taken to an entirely unrelated download with Unavailable, like you. The second time, I got the correct file OK. Rapidshare's usually more reliable than this.

It's only 2.6kB to download; here's the file as an attachment. Please PM me if there's a problem with this one in the future.

empty.zip