Installing Win 98 on a partition on Win XP

N30N

Hey there, I am interested in installing Windows 98 on my computer, purely to play old games that I miss, and just have a few questions - This has probably been asked various times, and is readily avaliable from searching, but I prefer to get answers specifically to what I am asking.

So I'm sure I have to create a partition, and convert it to FAT32 - Will use my second hard drive for this.

But I'm just not 100% sure on the rest, I don't want to go messing up my computer. I'd also like to be able to select which OS to boot into on startup, and possibly when I have had enough, delete the OS and partition. Can you deletet partitions?

So if someone could just guide me through what I need to do, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1 - "Hide" the First HDD in BIOS (Disable it, i.e. set it from "Auto" to "None") and Save

2 - Boot to 98 CD or an EBD (or however)

3 - Delete any partitions on the Second HDD (only one "seen" now)

4 - Redefine and Format (or just follow the Bootable CD Sequence)

5 - Install 98 (NOTE - in Step#4 be sure to set the Partition Active)

6 - "Unhide" the first HDD - XP will see both and be the "Master Boot"

7 - Look for Grub4DOS on Google and use that to "add" 98 to the XP Boot Menu ("redirect to HDD2")

Simplistic explanation, but it's basically what I did. You might get better info by looking in the Windows 9x Subforum. This has been done time and again so please do a "Search" (the little "gear" next to Search bar above) in that SubForum (Multiboot, Dual Boot, whatever...).

When done "goofing around", just remove the Grub4DOS modification, and reformat the Partition on the HDD2. Back to sqaure one (with an extra HDD, natch).

(no offense, you must be "new"...)

Ahh I'm not new, I've had previous accounts on here but forgot them, and lots of years of experience, despite only being 17. I could operate a computer by the age of 5, and I know repair them constantly.

I've heard about DOSBox, but I'm not sure if it could handle the games I want to play.. They were system heavy for the time.

I would ideally just like to be able to play the games on my XP but I can't be bothered with the effort that it takes! I did do it once (the game I want to play is The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard) and it worked, but it didn't work properly, the image and sound was jumpy so was unplayable.

This being the case, cannie's tutorials may be of interest to you:

...exception made for the 7/knoppix one, I presume :whistle:

Some "as plain as possible" instructions can be read here (the place is particularly nice as it has everything "categorized" correctly):

http://www.thpc.info/dualboot.html

you are in this "main" category:

http://www.thpc.info/dual/dual_xp_2k_nt.html

But you will need ANYWAY to read the 9x forum to solve possible problems with "lots of RAM". "huge hard disks" and the like :ph34r:

jaclaz