Help getting PC games to utilize all available RAM

Ironman69

Hello once again guys! Now that I've installed 1gb of RAM on my Win98SE computer, and adjusted system.ini parameters and all, I have windows recognizing 1022mb RAM. So I fired up my favorite game, IL2 1946, and tried to see if I can see a FPS improvement over my old 512mb ram setup. None at all. Fortunately, I have CACHEMAN installed, and it reported during heavy game play that my game was only utilizing 600mb of system RAM and 400mb of ram was still UNUSED! How can I get my games to fully use all available RAM? For reference, I have a GeForce4ti4400 video card with 128mb of onboard RAM. On my mobo settings, I have AGP aparture size set to 128. Also, I have disabled VIRTUAL MEMORY to try to force Windows98SE to use all available RAM, but this did nothing to improve the games. Any more advise would be greatly appreciated!!

128MB of AGP aperture means you've got 128MB of your onboard memory that can be used as VRAM subsitute for storing textures for your game, try increasing your AGP aperture to 256MB if your BIOS allows it and see if it improves things. I don't think it will as it is highly unlikely it will increase your framerate considering that RAM is slower than VRAM and I suggest you upgrade your graphic card to a faster one if you want to really improve things.

Edited by loblo

loblo, if the game can utilize only 600 Mb of RAM, it will not be faster on a PC with more RAM. It just will not use more RAM. It will run slower in case there is not enough RAM for it and it needs to use pagefile. And if there is enough RAM, and pagefile is not used, it does not matter how much additional RAM you have.