Do I need to upgrade my hardware

NoUserName

Hello,

Right now I am using:-

AMD Phenom II X4 955 black edition 3.20GHz

16 GB ram ddr3 1033

Gigabyte 790

ATI Radeon 4850

I am working with editing and producing movies and do rendering a lot.

Is it effectve or I do need to upgrade my hardware?

If answer is yes, then please advise.

Also does overclocking will do any help or no use?

Replies are highly much appreciated.

Overclocking is dangerous. Can be done but could "burn out" components faster or even cause total failure.

The question is really "does all my software function efficiently now" which can only be answered by yourself as probably no-one else has your exact configuration.

Try asking about specific recommendations after answering your own basic (unspoken) question.

(I would however recommend upgrading the video card - get away from ATI or get a better model - that based on other reviews)

As you can see in this benchmark you could have replace you AMD mainboard and cpu for a top intel ones and the time for processing a scene with 3DSMax would be halved.

But depending on the software you're using, you might be interested in a dual cpu workstation like for example an HP Z800.

For the software you're using sandy bridge (lastest intel cpu) aren't the fastest but are faster. The fastest intel i7 extreme will be a lot faster than your current config. Also do not forget the storage part of the config, a good raid controller might be expensive but reduce by ten the overall processing time when handling big files (that's why i directed you on a workstation).

The bi cpu solution might help processing two or more heavy tasks at same time (but multi-core already do a lot for this).

Also an optimized system and software might help a lot .