Is it possible to slipstream post-SP3 Windows Updates?

mitchsc

Can you double check your last session.ini and make sure WindowsXP-KB2115168-x86-ENU.exe is listed there? Also, see what version L3CODECX.AX_ is on the CD or ISO. A stock SP3 should be 1.5.0.50 and the patched on is 1.6.0.52. I don't know how you get a 1.6.0.51.

You will need to expand L3CODECX.AX_. 7-Zip or WinRAR will do it or just type expand -r PATH_TO_FILE\L3CODECX.AX_ DESTINATION_DIRECTORY

I did a test run after I made the major changes a few weeks back and my Windows Update came up clean.

Edited by -X-

L3CODECX.AX_ in the new ISO has today's date, so it was one of the ones created today. Once extracted, it does show 1.6.0.51 on the Version tab.

Yes, WindowsXP-KB2115168-x86-ENU.exe is among the many files listed in [Hotfixes]. Looking inside that file, I see that the key files are dated June 15, 2010, which is the date of the .52 file once installed (I later updated via WU and got .52), but somehow the .51 file is the one that ended up in the nLite output dir and made it into the .ISO and so was the one ultimately installed.

Are you running any other updates other than the ones the UDC script downloads? That's the only thing I can think of. Even then, the .52 from KB2115168 should overwrite any previous versions.

This is the second time in 24 hours that I recommend this tool

Cheers

I prefer cabtool. It does 1 more thing...it will make a folder a .cab file. Great for add-ons. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on W7 and probably Vista. Just place cabtool.exe somewhere and throw a shortcut to it in your SendTo menu.

Also, if you don't need the folder function this will do...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Expand]
"extended"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Expand\command]
@="expand -r \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Makecab]
"extended"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Makecab\command]
@="makecab \"%1\""

Press shift while right clicking for it to show on the context menu. Remove "extended"="" if you want it always on the context menu of any file you click.

It does 1 more thing...it will make a folder a .cab file.

I actually still have it installed on my PC, but I replaced it with 7-Zip (for making add-ons) just because of that extra folder I had to create. Anyway, the add-on I had for cabtool puts the .exe in system32 AND creates a shortcut in the SendTo menu (quite handy, I must say). As for the reg entries... I did not know that. I'm starting to like it again :yes:

Cheers