Can you slipstream XP-SP2 AND SP3 at same time with nLite

mitchsc

I have a copy of XP Home with no service packs. I understand that you must have SP1 or SP2 prior to loading SP3 on a running Windows system. I've read all sorts of conflicting information about this. Some people say, if you're slipstreaming you can go directly from XP-SP0 to SP3. Others say you must have SP1 or SP2 before slipstreaming SP3. Still others say that it is better to have SP1 than SP2 (and vise versa) before loading SP3.

So I'm totally confused. This will be my 1st experience with nLite. I would like to know, if I first need to load SP1 or SP2 before slipstraming SP3, can I integrate both SP's at the same time with a single nLite slipstream?

If not, can I slipstream SP1 or 2 with nLite, make the complete file, then start over and slipstream sp3 as a final version?

So what exactly is the best procedure? Again, my primary question is can I do everything I need to do in one shot with nLite.

Thanks... (I hope I made sense)

If you want to slipstream to a source, you can (and should) slipstream directly SP3 to your "vanilla" SP0 source.

If you want to update a running Windows XP system to SP3 you need SP1 as an SP0 install "won't take it".

(but you are right :thumbup , there is a lot of mis-information about this particular thing of SP1 needed :()

The time I fell for it :blushing::ph34r: :

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=24257

(cdob is of course correct :thumbup )

To integrate the SP3 you can use direct slipstreaming (no need to use nlite), follow this:

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/slipstream-xp-service-pack-3.shtml

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

That's fantastic! Can someone tell me why nLite is not recommended? From what I have read, it "seems" easier.

Also, I did not receive an email notification of your responses. I did the other day. Can someone tell me what setting I am missing? I checked my Settings > Notifications, and it's a bit difficult for me to understand all of them.

Thanks so much...

Edited by mitchsc

Looked up AutoStreamer. I have no idea if this other post knows what he is talking about, but thought I'd throw it out here just to make sure. ( http://discuss.pcmag.com/forums/thread/1004403865.aspx )

I initially asked (above) if I needed to slipstream from XP-SP0 CD... SP1a, or SP2 before SP3. Most agree that is not necessary. Then I read this:

The article states that any version of the Windows XP installation disc may be used (e.g. XP, XP SP1, XP SP1a and XP SP2) to slipstream the XP SP3. Although, it is true that you can successfully slipstream SP3 to any of these, there is a problem with doing so. After slipstreaming SP3 to Windows XP and installing it, I was unable to install any version ( 7, 8, 9 or 10) of Musicmatch. I then slipstreamed SP3 to Windows XP SP2, installed it and then was able to install all version of Musicmatch. I did not attemp to try slipstreaming SP3 to SP1 or SP1a. Hopefully this information will help anyone slipstreaming SP3. P.S. If you only have an XP disc or have XP SP1 or SP1a disc, then slipstream SP2 first and then slipstream SP3 and you will have no problems.

I also read several posts that say nLite is easier to use than AutoStreamer. I know that everyone has their own opinion about these things.

1) Can anyone comment about this guy's problem slipstreaming directly from SP0 to SP3?

2) Any other feedback on nLite vs AutoStreamer?

Since I've never done this before, I'm looking for simple and stable.

Thanks again...

"Autostreamer"??? A 'stripped-down" nLite! nLite does the EXACT SAME THING! And then some (if you like), adding nothing special at all (if only slipstream the Service Pack); just as if you did it "by hand".

And in reference to that single poster, did they start with a "clean" or "stripped down" CD (yes, they do exist). Slipping SP2 may very well have "filled in" some "stripped out" items.

Do what you want and test in a Virtual Machine; you'll find that the best info, advice, and tools are right here on MSFN.

edit - Yes, I have slipstreamed a "FULL" RTM ("SP0") directly with SP3, compared to a "FULL" pre-Integrated SP3 and they are nearly identical. After further checking, you'll find that the differences are due to... Slipstream/Integration (uncompressed files, components "missed" during removal, etc.). Been there, done that, and can state conclusively they are, for all intents and purposes, identical.

(and can also tell you specifically what the difference is between each release)

Edited by submix8c

Thank you. Glad to hear it (again), that I can go from sp0 to sp3 !

Think I'll try nLite. There's a lot more step by step tutorials available for that utility.

I'm sure this is quite simple, but never having done it, and just reading about it, can make it sound more involved than it probably is.

Thanks again all...