Clean Windows 7 Properly?

i have to uninstall alot of updates, and i have to uninstall a bunch of apps, how can i make sure the registry has been cleaned completely? i don't want a bunch of junk in the registry

stray files and folders are NOTHING compreaed to the damage the registry can aquire

Install a clean version of Windows on your system, make a ghost image of it. Install your usual programs, then make another ghost image. After that, install all the test stuff, and just roll back to the more recent ghost image, and if you need to, go back to the default clean ghost image.

no, basically i have a pretty **** good image, but i install WAY too many updates, and i want to update a few apps,

i want the registry to be good and not even partially curropt, but i want to try to keep this image, becasue theres ALOT of work into it, bt if i HAVE to re do it i will,

basically how can i tell if theres registry curroption or messed up parts of the registry?

What you mean, uninstall updates and apps? Are you using a random brand recovery mode?

As long as a program images properly, it shouldn't matter what you use. I use acronis true image and have 2 images, one of a brand new clean install with nothing on it and 1 with all my software installed. Should something happen, like an update that deprecates and old one, I can roll back to one of my images. Usually for basic installs I know I'm going to keep I can just do an update of my second image, however, if I'm going to be installing and testing a bunch of junk, I just roll back to my 2nd image rather than uninstall since it never really cleans the stuff out of the system.

if you don't have a backup of your good image, then you're pretty much stuck with a messed up registry even if you uninstall everything. you should have made an image of your disk before installing a bunch of updates and things you don't really need.

this isn't a running OS, this is a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 image, that i installed ALL the updates on, which i don't need those updates, and there taking up space, if i uninstall those Win7 updates, will it f*** up the registry?

The only time this would be an issue is if you take out something that is a pre-requisite for another update that you leave installed. Remember, when you use DISM/Imagex, any time you add or remove something, it does not remove the (replaced) file from the WIM, just the index. That means it can roll back to previous versions of files when you take something out. The only time those old files no longer exist is when you export the WIM out of itself.

i'm using Microsoft Default WIM Imageing, on Windows 7 Image, it's alot more supported than your random "ghost"

this is supported by MS, "ghost" is not

Marcus, you are a complete a**. Why do people try to help you? Acronis True Image isn't some random "ghost," and you obviously have no idea what ghosting is or how useful it can be. I guess you don't use any software made by 3rd parties on Windows since they're not directly supported by MS, right? Geeeeeeez ...

this isn't a running OS, this is a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 image, that i installed ALL the updates on, which i don't need those updates, and there taking up space, if i uninstall those Win7 updates, will it f*** up the registry?

Also, THIS information quoted here, needed to be specified in the 1st post in this topic. How were we supposed to know that you were putting updates into a wim image, and not a running OS? No mention of it at all, and when you did mention having a good image I'm thinking you installed from a customized wim already pre-configured and were updating a running OS. You aren't very clear in your details.

Personally, I don't really care if you get any of the help you seek anymore. From your posts in other topics and this one you come off as a know it all jerk after folks have tried to suggest things based on your poorly described issues. I'm done with all this.

no, i use tons of third Party stuff, like Photoshop and other more "scene" custom apps, i just perfer to use an oficial method, espically with something so breakable and fragile as a custom windows image

i heard about Acronis, but i have only heard of it with XP, not 7, and XP and 7 are completely different, there needs and reuirements are SOO far off, that i would rather use a method made specifically built for the Windows NT 6.x kernel

i apologise for not being very detailed, i thought the people answering would have already my other posts, and known the Windows 7 x64 details of the situation i'm in

sorry for an elitest attitude, i tend to get rude, i apologise

Edited by marcusj0015