Windows XP Needs Re-Activation

HarrisonS

76475000 seems to be XP Home SP2 FPP (possibly upgrade version) and the date 08/04/2004 is consistent with that. But 76475 is an unusual MPC, so we cannot be sure. The CID 000 means retail (= FPP = Full Packaged Product). So we now know it's not OEM, and not Volume License. Now, since yoú were able to boot from it. I'd say it is full retail. The volume label (not the label on the sleeve, but the name the CD says it has, when asked) should be VRMHCCP_EN if upgrade retail and VRMHFPP_EN if full retail.

76475000 seems to be XP Home SP2 FPP (possibly upgrade version) and the date 08/04/2004 is consistent with that. But 76475 is an unusual MPC, so we cannot be sure. The CID 000 means retail (= FPP = Full Packaged Product). So we now know it's not OEM, and not Volume License. Now, since yoú were able to boot from it. I'd say it is full retail. The volume label (not the label on the sleeve, but the name the CD says it has, when asked) should be VRMHCCP_EN if upgrade retail and VRMHFPP_EN if full retail.

I am afraid it is VRMHCCP_EN, so it is upgrade retail! So I guess we are really in trouble now!

OK, here's your alternatives.

#1 - "Borrow" someone's pre-XP CD (if anyone has one) and follow these instructions (step#9 tells which pre-XP qualifies).

#2 - Create a LiveXP from the CD you already have and (hopefully) find a folder named "Windows\Install" on the C-drive (that's the original Windows ME install folder) then follow the procedure in the link.

#2 (How-To continued...)

You'll have to have a Workgroup Network Hub -or- a Router -or- a USB-stick (e.g. Flash Drive, even an old MP3 player may work) to do this.

a - Easiest is to have a USB Flash Drive. There are utilities to Partition and Format them to FAT-32 (look in the "How to Install from USB" to find them). After USB-prep just boot to the LiveXP and copy the WinME Install folder (all of it) to the USB, take the USB to another PC with a Burner, plug it into it, copy that Folder to that PC, rename it to WIN9x, burn a CD with that Folder as the contents (NOT what's in the folder) and use that as "Proof"

b - Harder is to re-Create the LiveXP providing the correct Network Card drivers so you can boot to it again, define a User-ID with Password, start Folder Sharing, go to the other PC, connect to the failing PC through the Network Neighborhood, then copy the above-mentioned Folder to it, and burn as instructed.

To do either "a" -or- "b" the second PC will have to have a burner. To do "b-instead" you'll need connectivity between the Bad PC and the Good PC (as specified), in addition to identifying the Network Card in the Bad PC (to provide the Driver for the LiveXP).

=====

Final note (for this post) - As you can now see, it takes a "Semi-Techie" to do PC Repair (bit off too much, didn't you).

Bottom line - you must have the hardware in the combination specified to do the above. Confirm you have this and we'll proceed from there.

Addendum - The USB-stick need not be a large one (a 1-gig is fine). MP3 players are (generally speaking) just "USB sticks inside a Player" and use a special "mode-switch" to force them to be used as such.

MP3-Player WARNING! the songs may be wiped, but not necessarily if there's room for the folder on it after Mode Switch. An example of one is a SanDisk my wife bought that I switched modes and transfer/copy her songs directly (no format required).

Edited by submix8c

All right, thanks. I do have a Router and a couple of USB-sticks, but not a Workgroup Network Hub. It may be a while before I get back to you. My other PC does have a burner.

Also I have a Win 2000 full install disk here as well as NT 3.51 and 4.0 disks, which may be upgrade or full.

By the way, the I386 folder file you were asking about was SP2.CAT.

Any full version of a previous Windows is acceptable, so I'd say your 2k full will do fine. And you don't actually need to install it, just have the CD on hand, and put it on the CD reader, when asked, to satisfy the XP upgrade need of proof, AFAIK. So I think you're all set now. :yes:

Any full version of a previous Windows is acceptable...
Stipulation - not a "Server" version (won't work). In addition, the problem is that the XP is Home Upgrade, not XP Pro. See this, this, and particularly MS' KB292607. You're stuck with the available WinME (XP Home is more restrictive as it's the "consumer" version and Professional is the "business" version).

Still, better to "hope" that "Install" folder is there and save it off. Usually the COA for the Original WinME PreInstall is "glued" onto the Tower. FYI, just to allow you to "keep" your Original (with the Folder contents) for "backup insurance". If you think you might want to "keep" the WinMe and the stcker with Key (COA) is missing, there should (hopefully) be a Backup CAB file that it can be extracted from. Both the "INSTALL" Folder and the Backup File (a special Registry backup) should be there unless manually deleted. Upgrades to XP don't (AFAIK) "delete' that stuff.

Also, you don't need the WinME key for installing XP as it's usually assumed that you have "given up the EULA rights" to it (it's being OEM and all) when you Upgrade anyway. (Not that MS cares anyway, since support for WinME is long-gone.) Just thought you might want to have it for "hysterical" purposes.

(Geez, I'm just full of bad tidings, ain't I...)

We'll get there - all you need is one USB stick, USB ports on both PC's, XP CD, Internet for the LiveXP Setup Download, and a burner. ;)

Stipulation - not a "Server" version (won't work). In addition, the problem is that the XP is Home Upgrade, not XP Pro. See this, this, and particularly MS' KB292607. You're stuck with the available WinME (XP Home is more restrictive as it's the "consumer" version and Professional is the "business" version).

Still, better to "hope" that "Install" folder is there and save it off. Usually the COA for the Original WinME PreInstall is "glued" onto the Tower. FYI, just to allow you to "keep" your Original (with the Folder contents) for "backup insurance". If you think you might want to "keep" the WinMe and the stcker with Key (COA) is missing, there should (hopefully) be a Backup CAB file that it can be extracted from. Both the "INSTALL" Folder and the Backup File (a special Registry backup) should be there unless manually deleted. Upgrades to XP don't (AFAIK) "delete' that stuff.

Also, you don't need the WinME key for installing XP as it's usually assumed that you have "given up the EULA rights" to it (it's being OEM and all) when you Upgrade anyway. (Not that MS cares anyway, since support for WinME is long-gone.) Just thought you might want to have it for "hysterical" purposes.

(Geez, I'm just full of bad tidings, ain't I...)

We'll get there - all you need is one USB stick, USB ports on both PC's, XP CD, Internet for the LiveXP Setup Download, and a burner. ;)

Thanks. I have a few questions. I am puzzled because the links you provided seem to contradict what was said in the earlier link given by submix8c that Win NT 3.51, NT 4.0 or Win2000 full versions would be suitable, or that "any full version of a previous Windows is acceptable" for the upgrade.

Also, how can I access the "Windows\Install" folder on the C: drive? In the present state, I cannot access anything on the HDD, either by using Windows Explorer or going to the command line in order to copy them to a flash drive. Is there another way to copy them?

I am also considering picking up a brand new HDD instead, and installing it. For one thing, the present drive is tiny (20 gigabytes). If I can then install XP Home on it, and then I could reinstall the old drive as a "slave" D: drive and copy anything to be kept from it to the new drive.

I will probably have more questions later.

Any thoughts? Thanks again.

Edited by HarrisonS

Stipulation - not a "Server" version (won't work). In addition, the problem is that the XP is Home Upgrade, not XP Pro. See particularly MS' KB292607. You're stuck with the available WinME (XP Home is more restrictive as it's the "consumer" version and Professional is the "business" version).
..the links you provided seem to contradict what was said in the earlier link given by submix8c that Win NT 3.51, NT 4.0 or Win2000 full versions would be suitable, or that "any full version of a previous Windows is acceptable" for the upgrade.
I thought that was explained (see above). Dencorso made the same assumption that the Link I gave said and that's not true for Home Version but only for Pro Version. The link (see above) is directly from the horses mouth!

Also, how can I access the "Windows\Install" folder on the C: drive? In the present state, I cannot access anything on the HDD, either by using Windows Explorer or going to the command line in order to copy them to a flash drive. Is there another way to copy them?

OK, here's your alternatives.

#1 - "Borrow" someone's pre-XP CD (if anyone has one) and follow these instructions (step#9 tells which pre-XP qualifies).

#2 - Create a LiveXP from the CD you already have and (hopefully) find a folder named "Windows\Install" on the C-drive (that's the original Windows ME install folder) then follow the procedure in the link.

#2 (How-To continued...)

See #2? LiveXP Bootable CD!!!! Along with the USB-stick.
I am also considering picking up a brand new HDD instead, and installing it. For one thing, the present drive is tiny (20 gigabytes). If I can then install XP Home on it, and then I could reinstall the old drive as a "slave" D: drive and copy anything to be kept from it to the new drive.
How are you going to install without a "qualifying previous operating system"? You have an UPGRADE CD, not a FULL CD! Back to Square One!!! Potentially, if you slaved the old one and pointed to the (hopefully existing) folder then it might work!

You want to reinstall XP or not? Trust me/us (and Microsoft) or don't. The LiveXP is a "project" that will need to be BUILT to "gain access" to the HDD. Only other option is a LiveLinux (same-o same-o). Either one will BOOT to CD and NOT the HDD (kind of like a Super-Duper-Duper High-Powered Can Access USB-stick and DOS Can't Floppy).

edit - and think about this... 37 posts???? (read back through this, your thread)

Edited by submix8c

• 3 weeks later...

Now that you can get into the BIOS, you can set it up so you can boot from a CD. Since you think the system was tampered with, you might as well re-install XP and go through the activation process. If it fails, then I'd call Microsoft.

Even if this system really was tampered with, I don't think anyone else could have used the product key to activate another system. If that did happen, Microsoft's records should show that your friend's use of this key was the first, and then they'd probably kill the illegitimate installation if possible.

But since it's XP, an "ancient" system in their eyes, what will probably happen is that your call to MS will simply get them to OK your activation with few questions asked on their part.