Windows XP Needs Re-Activation

HarrisonS

I am checking out a friend's computer that has been out of se for a couple of months. However, after I log on, I get a message box that says, "This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate Windows now" . If I click 'yes', it goes to a screen with a green abstract design, and the Microsoft logo. After about a minute, it just goes back to the logon screen again. If I click 'no', it just goes directly back to the logon screen.

Obviously, it needs an internet connection. The problem is that my friend only had dial-up, and there is no Ethernet card in the computer to connect to the internet through my LAN. I have several questions as to how to resolve this Catch-22 dilemma:

1. Why does Microsoft suddenly need to resolve this copy of Windows at all? It was installed about five years ago, and never re-installed.

2. If I just buy a network card, plug it in and connect it to my LAN which is connected 24/7 to the internet, would Microsoft be able to "find" the computer to verify Windows?

3. Is there any legitimate way to bypass this verification process altogether, since it is NOT a new installation, is legal and was successfully registered years ago?

4. Are there any other issues that I need to be concerned about?

Edited by HarrisonS

Registration and activation are not the same. To my knowledge activation is only needed once (while registration is not even mandatory), unless there is a "significant" change in hardware (read this for more precision). Other possible cases are ...

-your friend installed a Service Pack (update) that detected the use at the time of a now blacklisted activation key.

-a repair involving different versions of Windows XP discs (different versions of Internet Explorer integrated) has been performed.

I conclude you haven't heard the whole story and there is probably a reason why the computer was out of service. Or someone might come with an alternative potential explanation.

As for adding a network card (they are dirt cheap indeed), providing the drivers are included in XP (not too recent) and the card can connect to your LAN with default values, it might work. Even better if MS was clever enough to let you fix that connection. Good luck.

+You might want to edit question 3) because it steps on forum rule "1a".

Edited by Ponch

If you choose yes to activate, does it give you the option to do it by telephone? It involves you reading a bunch of numbers over the phone to a recording that may or may not be able to understand you, but you might get to talk to a person if that is the case. They can get you the activation numbers to type in.

In the current case, i think there was a huge change in the MB manufacturer and as XP check against the bios it wants to activate again. The XP is most likely an OEM version and you won't get around without making a butchery. The fastest way is to backup the needed files and reinstall or do a repair install and you'll need a XP cd and a valid licence key.

Edited by allen2

In the current case, i think there was a huge change in the MB manufacturer and as XP check against the bios it wants to activate again. The XP is most likely an OEM version and you won't get around without making a butchery. The fastest way is to backup the needed files and reinstall or do a repair install and you'll need a XP cd and a valid licence key.

I have reached an impasse. I disconnected the computer from the LAN and hooked it directly to the internet, but still the verification fails. I tried to reinstall Windows XP from the original CD (from Microsoft, not an OEM), but there is no way to start the installation, since I cannot start the install process, and it does not boot from the CD drive. I even tried an old boot diskette for installind Windows 2000, but the computer will only boot from the hard drive. There is no option to verify by telephone. No matter what I try, it stays in a perpetual loop: logon, attempt (unsuccessfully) to verify, return to logon screen. It seems to be impossible to break out of this loop. At this point, I think a "butchery" might be the only alternative. This would most likely have to be done at the hardware level, such as replacing the hard drive with a new one.

Any suggestions, anyone?

Other possible cases are ...

-your friend installed a Service Pack (update) that detected the use at the time of a now blacklisted activation key.

-a repair involving different versions of Windows XP discs (different versions of Internet Explorer integrated) has been performed.

If you choose yes to activate, does it give you the option to do it by telephone? It involves you reading a bunch of numbers over the phone to a recording that may or may not be able to understand you, but you might get to talk to a person if that is the case. They can get you the activation numbers to type in.
I have reached an impasse. I disconnected the computer from the LAN and hooked it directly to the internet, but still the verification fails. I tried to reinstall Windows XP from the original CD (from Microsoft, not an OEM), but there is no way to start the installation, since I cannot start the install process, and it does not boot from the CD drive. I even tried an old boot diskette for installind Windows 2000, but the computer will only boot from the hard drive. There is no option to verify by telephone. No matter what I try, it stays in a perpetual loop: logon, attempt (unsuccessfully) to verify, return to logon screen. It seems to be impossible to break out of this loop. At this point, I think a "butchery" might be the only alternative. This would most likely have to be done at the hardware level, such as replacing the hard drive with a new one. Any suggestions, anyone?

Ponch could be correct on either point.

Have you tried Tripedacus' suggestion? Usually, there's an option you can select to "Activate by Phone" instead of "Activate by Internet" If not...

As you state this is a Retail Full/Upgrade CD (not OEM), so allen2's comments don't apply.

So... Disconnecting LAN/Connecting Directly has nothing to do with the problem. If it can't be done via Tripedacus' recommendation - Have you changed the Boot sequence in the BIOS (F2/ESC/F10/F11/DEL key or whatever the MoBo uses)? It's probably set to boot HDD first so you'll never boot from CD or Floppy. BTW, there's a set of Boot Disks (4 of them) available at MS for a particular CD's Service Pack level. And begs the question - is this an RTM CD, i.e. No Service Pack integrated? If so and a Service Pack had been installed on the running XP, you'll have to integrate (preferably SP3) into the CD's contents before a Repair/Over-the-top Re-Install. Note that this is not a Boot to CD then select "Repair" - you must tell it Install then tell it to install to the original/failing installation. Finally, if the CD is an Upgrade CD then it's not Bootable and you'll have to have a prior Windows to install it (e.g. 95, 98, ME, 2kPro).

BTW, "butchery" at the HW level was not suggested as it can't be done (not an option - has to be done at the BIOS-Boot+OS level).

(sorry about the repeated/quoted text, guys - just making my comments quite clear.)

edit - and on a final note (ref. Ponch) without a valid for that CD Key, you're toast! You'll have to extract the key from the "buggered" system via special CD-Bootable tools and pray it's not a blacklisted.

Edited by submix8c

There is no "Activate by Phone" option given at any time. But, if anyone has a phone number for this, I might try it. I do have the valid installation key for the CD, so that won't be a problem. Undoubtedly it is set to "boot HDD first", but I do not have the sequence for accessing the BIOS settings on this machine, a ten year old Gateway. For this reason, I would not be able to use the floppy boot diskettes, either.

Some more:

-the key that has been entered at installation of the system that is running now will only work in case of hardware change or if Windows was reinstalled and never activated (and passed the 30 days deadline).

Your friend really holds the key to this problem, you'll save hours asking him what really happened.

->from what cd (label) was Windows installed ?

-was a key manually entered at install (or included automatically)?

-what key (sticker on the machine or sticker packed with CD)?

-was it ever activated?

-was Windows reinstalled just before problem happened ?

-did any hardware change occur ?

Those are very simple questions.

And as Submix8c says, swapping the hard drive won't change the fact you don't boot from cd. It normally tells you what key to hit to get into Bios...Try to hit "Del" at boot, or F1, F2 ?

Edited by Ponch

Some more:

-the key that has been entered at installation of the system that is running now will only work in case of hardware change or if Windows was reinstalled and never activated (and passed the 30 days deadline).

Your friend really holds the key to this problem, you'll save hours asking him what really happened.

I did not mention this earlier, but there is evidence that there has been some malicious tampering by neighbors during the past year. For one thing, Remote Access was installed in the computer without my friend’s knowledge or permission, and probably some other malicious tampering. At this point, however we do not know the full story, or the extent of the tampering.

Anyway, I will answer your questions here. Any insights you have will be greatly appreciated.

->from what cd (label) was Windows installed ?

This 10 year old computer originally came from Gateway with Windows Me installed. About five years ago it was upgraded to XP Home Edition. This CD is a Microsoft product and is so labeled. It is physically the same CD that I have now, in case I need to do a reinstall.

-was a key manually entered at install (or included automatically)?

Manually. I did it myself about five years ago.

-what key (sticker on the machine or sticker packed with CD)?

The key was on a sticker packed with the CD, and I have this key now.

-was it ever activated?

I assume so. The computer was in regular use for five years without any problems, until recently.

-was Windows reinstalled just before problem happened ?

No. It has never been reinstalled.

-did any hardware change occur ?

None at all, except for the Ethernet card I installed earlier this week.

And as Submix8c says, swapping the hard drive won't change the fact you don't boot from cd.

Of course it won’t. The purpose of swapping the hard drive was simply to bypass the whole problem by starting out fresh .

It normally tells you what key to hit to get into Bios...Try to hit "Del" at boot, or F1, F2 ?

Surprisingly, it does not show any of this information. I tried each of these keys as well as F8, but it seems to be impossible at any time to break out of the boot up sequence, as well as the perpetual, logon-try to activate-logon loop mentioned earlier.

What exactly is the model of that Gateway? Maybe the manual is findable online, and it'll tell us how to access the BIOS.
Ditto - Gateway can be any of a small handful. The "magic key" has to be pressed when you first turn it on. Gateways are usually DEL or F1 (AFAICR). Also, with the documentation, there may be a jumper you can temporarily change to Clear CMOS (reset the BIOS to Defaults). Sometimes when you first power-on you can quickly repeatedly tap the basic set until one "hits" (ESC F1 F2 F10 F11 DEL). Once in, you can usually find a setting that will make it show it to you. Having originally had WinME (from the factory?) on it it has to be a circa 2000/2001 (pre-XP).

edit - maybe the term "Boot" confused you - Two separate Boots involved - First is BIOS (when power on or CTL+ALT+DEL when in e.g. DOS) - Second is OS Boot (based on BIOS Boot Sequence).

Edited by submix8c

What exactly is the model of that Gateway? Maybe the manual is findable online, and it'll tell us how to access the BIOS.
Ditto - Gateway can be any of a small handful. The "magic key" has to be pressed when you first turn it on. Gateways are usually DEL or F1 (AFAICR). Also, with the documentation, there may be a jumper you can temporarily change to Clear CMOS (reset the BIOS to Defaults). Sometimes when you first power-on you can quickly repeatedly tap the basic set until one "hits" (ESC F1 F2 F10 F11 DEL). Once in, you can usually find a setting that will make it show it to you. Having originally had WinME (from the factory?) on it it has to be a circa 2000/2001 (pre-XP).

edit - maybe the term "Boot" confused you - Two separate Boots involved - First is BIOS (when power on or CTL+ALT+DEL when in e.g. DOS) - Second is OS Boot (based on BIOS Boot Sequence).

You are right about the vintage. This computer was purchased new in January 2001. A just talked to the owner, and she said that she does not have the manual, and does not even remember ever getting a manual. I think it is possible that there could be a .PDF manual stored on the hard drive, but, of course, we would not be able to get to it now, if that is the case. We are certain, however, that the CPU is an AMD 950 MHz Athlon, if that is any help. At startup, there is briefly seen the Gateway logo with a progress bar under it. However, pressing F1 or DEL at this time or even Ctl-Alt-DEL does not seem to work. It still goes on to boot up Windows.

Somewhere on the Tower (the "box") should be a label (usually on the back) telling the Specific Model and usually there's something on the tower on the front (e.g. Gateway+E3200, a "generic" model number). We require the Model Number to obtain specific information (the documentation). Just the CPU doesn't help - it's the MoBo/BIOS info we need (based on Model ID from the tag on back).

? Did you try F2 at all? This indicates that (generally speaking) Gateway uses either F1 or F2 (press/tap repeatedly immediately after power-on).

And I repeat - WHEN you turn it on, not AFTER the Logo appears and floats by - too late!

This by chance? "Gateway ATXSTF OXN Select K7-950"...

Edited by submix8c

? Doesn't make sense!!!

Hate to ask this but can you open the case (take the cover off - screws usually in back) CAREFULLY with a non-magnetic phillips screwdriver (unless the tower has "thumbscrews", so just unscrew them). Does the MoBo look like this?

There's absolutely no reason that the F1 or F2 keys don't work UNLESS you have a USB Keyboard connected AND the BIOS does NOT have "Enable Legacy USB Support", in which case NO keys will work at all! Do ANY keys work at any time? Answer this first before cracking open the case!