Mounting & Installing

I had a little problem on my last try in vmware while being in audit mode.

I rebooted manualy, that caused the system to close sysprep mode and start in user creation.

But as i restart from applications and windows updates, it just starts up in audit mode and continues the work - how come?

For sure ive restarted by start menu, not by the system preperation tool.

May i ask you what the size of the created wim in your video was?

Since ive added all Updates and the SP1, also Office2010 my wim ends up in over 6gb (maximum compressed).

If i slipstream the SP1 and add office by post install, both together just take about 1.5gb, the wim here ends up in a size of ~3.2GB (included all other updates).

The point is, ive tried to integrate the sp1 into the wim by rt7lite and cmd line, for rt7lite i tried it 3 times - 2 times it failed. Manualy ive tried it 2 times, and it aborted with errors (maybe some necessary updates missing before? was clean RTM w7).

Im kind of disappointed now ...

I thought sysprep would work better over all, not to pump up the winsxs such as in regular usage after the system was prepared.

The winsxs in the "clean" windows7 environment has over 10gb already, the "installer" dir. located in c:\windows got about 800mb.

Is there a way to filter permanent installed updates in order to remove the setup files?

I did the disk cleaning utility before i finished in audit mode, it just delete the recycle bin files ...

(i even used ccleaner and disabled recovery options)

Edited by Markus1234

You cant clean the sp1 temp files while in sysprep, you have to do it offline

dism /image:<path_to_folder> /cleanup-image /spsuperseded /hidesp

And yes, with all my programs, waik and office my wim is also close to 6 GB

Edited by ricktendo64

Thanks .. im actually trying! Takes half a hour, so i will edit this post soon.

Any other hints? Maybe files to delete?

Im missing the XP time as you could just delete the HELP dir to save another 50MB.

Unbelievable, the SP1 backup files removal got me over 4GB on the drive, and about 1.5GB in the wim.

Also ive removed the MSOCache from Office2010 (makes another 800mb).

I know office may wont work as it should now - but im gonna try in a minute.

Markus I think you must use original sp1 integrated msdn iso for reduce dvd size.

secondly

I thougt vmware is virtually can make everything.

so I created 30 gb vmware for win7x64. in setup I divide the hdd 2 part. I installed and sysprepped win 7.

Then I changed the vmware iso from settings and loaded win7pe. then booted win7pe and used imagex.

create the syspreded wim image to second partition in vmware. then I transferred to it usb stick. after testing it worked well.

lastly it is not necessary to convert vmvare to vhd. you can do everything in vmware

So to save time i can:

1.) Install W7 on VmWare

2.) Boot into SysPrep

3.) Configure and install everything

4.) Shut it down

5.) Convert my VMWare to VHD

6.) Load the VHD on my running host system

7.) Capture a WIM by the new Partition of the loaded VHD

(8*) Delete VMWare Tools Stuff through dism

* Is there also a way to export and edit the reg hive of the new captured WIM - or should i do this before capturing?

* Or you think VmWare Tools are listened in packages while i use install_wim_tweak (shown in your vids)?

I guess your way is better, my last wim didnt worked/aborted install in end process (without any unattented).

Still im disappointed by the huge size of the image ... its actually way smaller if i integrate all updates and service packs to the DVD, not to the install.

My windows dir was about 12gb at least, just by installing 4, 5 little apps, office was biggest.

I wish there was a way to clean up all the install infos(and saved setup/backup files) without to destroy any way to uninstall them.

I guess your way is better, my last wim didnt worked/aborted install in end process (without any unattented).

Still im disappointed by the huge size of the image ... its actually way smaller if i integrate all updates and service packs to the DVD, not to the install.

My windows dir was about 12gb at least, just by installing 4, 5 little apps, office was biggest.

I wish there was a way to clean up all the install infos(and saved setup/backup files) without to destroy any way to uninstall them.

I am testing and testing and testing.

I believe we can finally learn to produce clean compact and fully customized iso without any garbage.

usually I note every phase in a txt file for future use step by step. If everyone share experinces like ricktendo and markus this forum will be the best one. thanks