Can't set default download location in Firefox 3.6.16

KRH

I can set the download location in Firefox 3.16.6 options to "Always ask me where to save files" (using Kernelex, of course) but every time I reopen the browser, or even clear the cache, it reverts to c:\My Documents\Downloads. I know that there's a hack to make Fx the default browser, which I've successfully used, but is there some such for this issue?

Btw, this is the second day in a row that I've posted here, once to respond in a thread and now to start one, and whenever I log in, a big black box comes down in the left, upper corner to block either what I'm writing or the preview of it. Is that another browser glitch or is it a problem with the forum layout?

I can set the download location in Firefox 3.16.6 options to "Always ask me where to save files" (using Kernelex, of course) but every time I reopen the browser, or even clear the cache, it reverts to c:\My Documents\Downloads. I know that there's a hack to make Fx the default browser, which I've successfully used, but is there some such for this issue?

Btw, this is the second day in a row that I've posted here, once to respond in a thread and now to start one, and whenever I log in, a big black box comes down in the left, upper corner to block either what I'm writing or the preview of it. Is that another browser glitch or is it a problem with the forum layout?

I have been seeing the black box for a while now. When I am Posting, I Home My Cursor, enter several blank lines so I can see and then write.

I have noticed that it is not necessary to remove the extra lines before Posting.

1. Edit/check user.js with the following lines:

user_pref("browser.download.defaultFolder", "C:\\DOWNLOAD");
user_pref("browser.download.dir", "C:\\DOWNLOAD");
user_pref("browser.download.lastDir", "C:\\DOWNLOAD");

I think the (default) location might change if you toggle download mode (download every time to this dir/ask every time...). This is general, I'm not taking into account any oddities of KernelEx or the OS.

2. Unblock ajax.googleapis.com in hosts file/firewall or live with it or persuade administrators to abandon it (tough chance :rolleyes:).

*edit: If the box is empty, then maybe it's general javascript issue?

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

GrofLuigi,

Sorry, I should have been a little clearer in stating the problem. Actually, I should have been a lot clearer. My setting in the options box doesn't actually change. It remains, "always ask me where to save". The problem is with the behavior. When I open the "save" dialogue box to save a file after reopening the browser or clearing the cache, the "save in" box has reverted to "c:\My Documents\Download". I know from six and a half years of using Firefox up through version 2.x in Win98SE and version 3.6x in Win2k (the minimum OS required for Fx versions beyond 2.x) that the "save in" box with the "always ask me" option enabled should always show the last folder used, so the problem apparently is with using an advanced version of Firefox with Win98SE and Kernelex.

Here are the settings that appear relevant in about:config:

browser.download.dir;C:\Download\Mozilla\Firefox (This apparently refers to the folder where I downloaded the program, itself).

browser.download.folderList;1

browser.download.useDownloadDir;false

I'm sorry, javascript is Greek to me, but wouldn't the script you provided tend to establish that folder that I don't want as the default? Sorry if that's a stupid question. If you still recommend the procedure after this clarification of the issue, I'll go ahead and try it.

I probably should also post this issue in the Mozillazine forums but I'm afraid I'd be flamed to a crisp for trying to force the browser to work in an unsupported OS and then whining when it doesn't (I get enough flak there for still using Win98SE). There's also a Kernelex thread here at MSFN but it's hosted by the developer and he seems a little touchy about what he calls "complaints".

rloew,

Your solution to the black box problem works fine. Thanks.

Edited by KRH

I have been seeing the black box for a while now. When I am Posting, I Home My Cursor, enter several blank lines so I can see and then write.

I have noticed that it is not necessary to remove the extra lines before Posting.

Is the black box you all are seeing similar to the one I complained about here?

It always comes up for a second and then disappears on my system, doesn't remain to cause problems, but I thought the two issues may be related.

Is the black box you all are seeing similar to the one I complained about here?

It always comes up for a second and then disappears on my system, doesn't remain to cause problems, but I thought the two issues may be related.

No. It is not very big, but it is permanent. It is a Forum Menu with 7 entries and they are active. It appears just below the "Sign Out" Option near the upper left corner.

I am using IE6 SP1.

My reply on the black box issue is the same as that of rloew. It's a drop-down menu with my profile options.

Edited by KRH

KRH,

Yes, it was an example copy/pasted from my user.js (you access it through about:config, it's the same thing). I suggested the three lines above because they gave me rock solid download directory for my needs (fixed), whereas before FF was also 'forgetting' where it was. My idea was for you to set it to the starting directory you want and then just toggle the "ask me every time" thingy in preferences (which I think is the browser.download.useDownloadDir line in user.js/about:config). As I said before, I don't know anything about KernelEx, I'm talking about 'normal' usage of Firefox.

@rloew: definitely ajax.googleapis.com (that's where some javascript libraries used by IPBoard are hosted). I block it in hosts file and the panel can't retract. Unblock it, panel behaves. Or, in your case, IE doesn't like it that they are hosted on another site or it has general javascript problems.

GL