File and Printer sharing in Workgroup 98se and 7

Can a simple workgroup work well between a Windows 7 Home premium and a windows 98se machine? I have a printer connected to the windows 98se machine and want to access that printer on a windows 7 home premium PC over a workgroup network. Both macines are in the same workgroup. I can see the shared folder and access the files on my windows 98se machine on the windows 7 PC and I can also see the shared printer on the windows 7 macine but when I actually try to communicate with it from the windows 7 PC it gives Operation failed error with error code 0x00000002. Also the windows 7 PC appears in the network on the windows 98se machine but I cannot access any shared folders on it. I do not want to create a specific share on the windows & machine just to do that. The other windows XP PC in the same workgroup can access the shared printer and folders on the windows 98se PC, and vice versa without any problems. I cannot move the printer to one of the other pcs because they are laptops and I cannot move the printer to them.

Is simple workgoup type networking even possible between windows 7 home premium and windows 98SE?

• 1 month later...

easiest solution you can try is cisco network magic. I'm not sure if it supports 98 though.

it is a registry change that has to be made but i don't remember what it is exactly.... its been a while. but the network magic will do it all for you.