How to copy windows 7 to another drive/partition?

avada

Hi!

I have want to copy my installed windows 7 to another drive. I don't want to clone the partition because I have another bigger ntfs filesystem for windows on ono of the partitions of the new drive. I just want to copy the files/folder folder structure and the file attributes. What is the best way to do that? I guess some configuration modifications might be needed.

It might complicate things that I have some files that seem to be uncopiable/unreadable because of bad sectors. I remember windows handling these thing very poorly.

Hi avada. Are you trying to copy windows from a smaller drive to a larger one? If so, you can use clonezilla for a partition to partition copy. With the -r (resize) parameter in the advanced option screen you can clone a smaller partition to a larger one without any problems.

As for what you asked, I;m sorry, I don't know a best way.

I have want to copy my installed windows 7 to another drive. I don't want to clone the partition

Hi avada:

You can duplicate your existing Windows 7 into any other primary or logical unit as explained at paragraph 4 of here:

HTH

Thanks for the replies!

Cannie:

I guess 4.2-4.3 is relevant to me. I also assume its not a problem that I want to copy everything. I also have Ubuntu. So if I do 4.2-4.3, and install grub will it boot properly? Also what happens with the file permissions?

- So if I do 4.2-4.3, and install grub will it boot properly?

- Also what happens with the file permissions?

1.- Windows 7 incorporates its own "grub" version which works perfect if you only use no matter how many copies or versions of a Microsoft product. No need to install any other version. You may run any Linux product by booting it from a pendrive. I chose KNOPPIX because it loads very fast and runs perfect into a 4GB pendrive, for maintenance purposes only. Old times are far away, now Windows 7 is great.

2- You are using the same product into different drives of the same computer. You only need to activate the original after building the copy and reducing its size, but always before building the compressed file. Activation keeps being valid also for every copy that you run, no matter how many logical units you use to be run as C drive, because you are running the same program into the same computer.

Greetings.

I copied the registry file (%SystemRoot%\System32\Config\SYSTEM) and removed the keys according to 4.2 of your guide. Then I overwrote the one I already had on the new drive. (Because I copied the files previously).

Then I got a missing winload exe error at boot. But I could fix that using the Windows 7 install disk. Now it works fine. Even Grub wasn't wiped. Thanks!

Then I got a missing winload exe error at boot. But I could fix that using the Windows 7 install disk. Now it works fine. Even Grub wasn't wiped. Thanks!

Sorry, I forgot to include paragraph 4.6 into my previous post, which describes the procedure to prevent this disturb.

Happy of being helpful.

Greetings.