Accessing headless Linux from WIndows ?

Hi All,

I want to learn / study Linux by using my spare HP Desktop dc7700 PC without monitor (headless) so I wonder if the following scenario is working with Ubuntu / KUbuntu Linux:

networkn.jpg

My question is that, is the above blue line (ethernet cable - straight cable can work with the newer model of PC / eg. MDI-X) for peer to peer connection without switch at all ?

The ultimate goal is to be able to connect to the Linux server using VNC from the Windows Server and then scan the wireless LAN for weak password with aircrack or any other tools from (http://sectools.org/wireless.html) because I know that windows cannot be used for such thing anymore.

I have setup BT 4u1 before but then I give up since I cannot make the USB WLAN working or get the IP address :-|

but so far I have tried using Ubuntu for daily testing but not serious hacking and security matter.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Your only problem is the blue cable? Normally there is an intermediate device (a hub or switch) between two PCs which most cables are designed to use. Without that device you need to use a crossover cable.

Your only problem is the blue cable? Normally there is an intermediate device (a hub or switch) between two PCs which most cables are designed to use. Without that device you need to use a crossover cable.

Many thanks for the reply man, the blue cable was planned so that I can access the Linux system through the WIndows UNC mapping or even SSH / Tight VNC :-)