WIN98SE, recommeded Servicepacks

soek

Dear Forum,

Being an older computer programmer, i quite like the Win98 operating system because i have some "aged" development applications that have to be maintained

over the years, based on WIN98.

What i dont like is the Web integration in WIN98.

Browsing the net you find so many "recommendations" on what custom service pack you should use to get a fast lean WIN98SE.

This is quite confusing.

Well, i just have this:

WIN98SE

98lite-sleek

unofficial servicepack 2.1a.

current USB drivers would be nice.

(remark: i do not intend to put w98 on an AMD 6-core)

Maybe you can give me some recommendations on :

- what current service packs are proven good (and what they include)

- install order

- where to get it.

thanks.

You're off to a good start with Gape's Unofficial Service Pack 2.1a (this has been updated a few times since, now at beta 4, but sticking with 2.1a is fine either way). Next, you can get Maximus-Decim's Native USB Drivers (NUSB) for USB support, and call it a day for now, or continue from there. It could be a lot of research depending on how updated you want to be. Since you're a former programmer, you'd already know to check the details to see if you really need those updates, versus installing them because they're available.

The first place you should look at is the pinned Important Stickified Thread, which will lead you to a ton of details and download links. Find the service packs, updates, patches, add-ons, etc. that are relevant to you, and then read up on them. Even though most of them are well-tested, always backup before proceeding just in case.

Keep in mind that since you have 98lite SLEEK, you may encounter compatibility and/or functionality issues due to the watered down shell.

Keep in mind that since you have 98lite SLEEK, you may encounter compatibility and/or functionality issues due to the watered down shell.

ok, what influence will this implicate on the OS performance?

Sleek replaces your shell with Win 95's. The problem is that some applications expects, or even requires the Win 98 shell. That's one of the trade offs of using the lighter, older shell. And if you want to add updates/patches/packs, it could get potentially hairy. If you prefer to go this route, maybe one of the members with experience running 98lite and the various updates/patches could advise on how to go about this.

Edited for grammar

Edited by Foxbat

OK, understand, i am just using the "freeware" version that only supplys "sleek".

maybe i should reinstall with just 98lite-option to uninstall iexplore.

i mean it would be nice to get rid of all the Web.integration and just have a plain OS to build on.

Do you actually recommend using 98lite?

I've been using 98lite for years, both the free and paid versions. On my PCs, I've always selected the "chubby" install as I don't have a copy of 95. I also prefer being able to single click, and I keep just enough to make this possible. Even with a chubby install, you can remove Internet Explorer. IMO, getting rid of Internet Explorer is the single best thing you can do for 98 from both a stability and security perspective. Removing IE does break some apps that use its components. On the few occasions I've run into this, it's been one or two files the app needs. These can be put into the applications own folder, which solves the problem most of the time.

Regarding other upgrades, I've had excellent results with Gape's service pack, both the 2.1 and 3.X beta versions. If you need USB, the NUSB packages are excellent, both the SE and FE versions. It gets along fine with the Orangeware drivers that many USB-PCI cards use. These 2 together gave my old 98FE unit a dependable USB 2.0 capability. On my Pentium 4 Dell, KernelEX works great. On older hardware, there are other limitations that limit application compatibility which KernelEx can't address. Revolutions Pack is a good upgrade for both appearance and improved stability. There's a kernel32.dll fix that allows 98 to handle files up to the maximum size permitted by FAT32 and an update for ESDI_506.PDR that will Enable 48BitLBA on 98, allowing it to work with much larger hard drives. There's an unofficial fix for shell32.dll that fixes many lockups. All of these work as described and together make 98 a better system than it's ever been. There's plenty of others plus a lot of tweaks that help even more.

There's no single correct approach for upgrading your 98 system. It really depends on how you want to equip it and whether you like to assemble your own package or prefer a single big upgrade. All of the upgrades listed here and on MDGX are good. Just pick what matches your needs. When you have a fair amount of free time, browse through MDGX. It's a gold mine for 98 users.

I've always used 98lite during the initial 98 setup. I can't say if the order really makes any difference, save for the possibility of the service pack upgrading components that were removed by 98lite. I would save Revolutions Pack and KernelEX for last.

might do a new install with 98lite set "chubby".

USB drivers:

get a bit confused about NUSB33.exe. It says, "need to install NUSB.exe first" in the install info text???

I would like to see USB-sticks, USB harddisks, USBcamera, USB video capture sticks to be modernly supported. (wish)

Whats this VIA11 image pack ?

any suggestions?

i have a computer with USB 1.1. Is NUB33 compatible?

I think, yes. I have a computer with USB 1.1 and I use NUSB. I don't remember exactly its version. It can be 3.3 or 3.2. However, sometimes I experience hangups when rebooting with USB flash stick plugged in. These problems reproduce only with KernelEx installed and not every time and I can live with them.

funny though, i installed nusb33 (with all USB devices detached) , rebooted.... no change ? somewhere i red version 33 is only for USB2.0 enhanced USB.

how do you exactly install that thing ?

Well, I just installed it, rebooted, and flash memory sticks just started to work. I think, USB devices were detached too. Though, may be, it was NUSB 3.2, not 3.3. I just can't verify it now. May be in a week or two I'll can take a look on my Windows 98 PC.

How well NUSB works with 1.1 is going to depend on the specific USb device. Some don't work well at 1.1 speeds.

The NUSB package installs like any other application. It's not going to show up in the device manager until you plug in a device that needs one of its components. NUSB supplies the drivers but windows doesn't install any until they're needed.

If your hardware is limited to USB1.1, a 2.0 PCI card is a good investment. Many USB cards use the Orangeware drivers, which get along quite well with NUSB.