7Customizer components XML

How am I supposed to get this to work? It runs now, but I type in a search such as "HomePremium" and it just prints a **** log, then sometimes I run the same command and it creates an XML, other times nothing. what's going on here?

Not every keyword works.

What xml creator does is search through all manifest files in Windows\winsxs\Manifests and select the ones that have your keyword in the first <assemblyIdentity> tag (in the name attribute).

Have you extracted a WIM file to some folder and pointed settings.ini to it? Otherwise it will give a warning.

You need to run create.exe from an elevated command promt because it needs to load the registry hives from the extracted WIM file into the registry. That only works with administrative rights.

If you give me the command line you use, the version of create (create.exe -v) and paste the contents of your settings.ini into a code tag here, I can look into what's not working.

I've actually just mounted the Ultimate wim, as it's less messy than extracting hundreds of files, here's my create.exe version and settings.ini contents.

Create.exe version 1.0 copyright 2012 Daniel Just.

; This file is absolutely needed! Do not delete it!
; Adjust the paths below to their correct location
[paths]
; path where the windows installation source manifest files can be found
; path must be absolute; no backslash at the end
manifestPath=D:\Users\Marcus\Desktop\Remove_Componets\mount\Windows\winsxs\Manifests\

; path where output xml and log file should be saved
; path can be relative to this dir or absolute
outputDir=D:\Users\Marcus\Desktop\Remove_Componets\Logs\

; path to registry hives
; path must be absolute; keep last backslash
regHivePath=D:\Users\Marcus\Desktop\Remove_Componets\mount\Windows\System32\config\

; path to installation sources
; path must be absolute; keep last backslash
sources=D:\Users\Marcus\Desktop\Remove_Componets\mount\

Edited by marcusj0015

Well, my Windows 7 partition crashed and I'm on Windows 8 CP right now (I hardly ever use it) but it's saying that It has to run on Windows 7, and I'd like to strip Win7 before I reinstall, is there anyway to run it on Win8?

After a reboot it's working... but still only generating XMLs every other time...? and can I use this to search for say Shell32, and delete all of the old versions of Shell32? How do I go about doing that?

With Shell32, you mean the shell32.dll? As long as you can find manifest files in Windows\winsxs\Manifests, you can create an xml with create.exe. Otherwise you have to construct an xml manually.

But why it creates xmls only every other time, I can't say why this happens without a bit more info. When using the same keyword, does it work one time and not the next? Could you attach a log file of a successful run and an unsuccessful run (if there is one)? I can only do guesswork if you don't give me a little more information.

Well, my Windows 7 partition crashed and I'm on Windows 8 CP right now (I hardly ever use it) but it's saying that It has to run on Windows 7, and I'd like to strip Win7 before I reinstall, is there anyway to run it on Win8?

Hmm, I haven't thought about Windows 8. I'll fix it in the next version. Unfortunately, I can't say when I'll be able to release it.

Yeah, I'll run it a few more times, sometimes I'll run it twice, and it doesn't make an XML file either time, other times on the first run, and other times it works the second time. I'll delete and redo the log files so it's all clean and easier to check. give me a couple days.