Problem in creating a Windows 7 SP1 dvd by reverse integration

Hi guys,

I have read many threads and posts here saying that reverse integration is better than slipstream for creating SP1, so I have decided to create a SP1 DVD by reverse integration. Primarily I tried with my already trimmed Ultimate DVD but unable to update, as the sp1 update was not showing. Then I tried to delete vlite registries and tried again but didn't work.

Then I tried with untouched edition of windows 7 Ultimate, and then installed the SP1 it got installed properly but when I try to sysprep everything was going to smoothly till restart in Audit mode and then when I check generalize option and shutdown I got a fatal error. I am not sure what went wrong. I didn't modify even a single file in the OS. And when I tried to reboot my OS it was showing the OOBE animation and then got the message "Unable to complete the installation restart the installation" and then the system is restarting again and again.

Can anyone help what should I do and has anyone faced the same problem?????????

vlite? that is so Vista man , I know they trying to keep it alive but it is so past tense

If you want to do that reverse then install the OS with none of the above to a clean Hard drive. Install SP1 and then capture that with a Gimagex cd.

me I unplug Inet cable when doing that so nothing interferes. I might inject Drivers and updates wth my right click .wim

What do you mean by Gimagex cd? I usually boot my system in winPE (with Gimagex) and capture my install.wim, but this time I am unable to sysprep my OS, so there is no question of booting my system in winPE. And I am not the only one who is facing this problem, I have read number of posts like mine about SP1. Many are facing restarting problem with SP1.

In the above case I have installed SP1 from offline installer does it something to do my problem.

Ok I wish to know which SP1 is better, the offline installer or Update?

If at first you dont succeed try again

I once got a similar sysprep error when generalizing, dont know what caused it...repeated it again and everything went OK

So give her a second go

Edited by ricktendo64

If at first you dont succeed try again

I once got a similar sysprep error when generalizing, dont know what caused it...repeated it again and everything went OK

So give her a second go

Thanks ricktendo64, but as I said, my OS doesn't allow me to try once again as it was restarting again and again, so I have to install the OS once again and now I would update and try to sysprep once again. I hope this time everything goes smoothly.

Hey ricktendo64 did you get the same msg "Unable to complete the installation, restart to complete the installation." something like this at the oobe animation? And doesn't allow you to go to the desktop?

No I did not reboot, after I got the sysprep error I reinstalled and redid my customizations

The reason for my error I think was because I used bcdedit /delete to delete the sysprep'd install from the bootmanager before generalizing

Has both the Media Player DRM issue and Network Location issue been fixed with SP1? These two issues I have seen cause the error you are getting.

Yes, what he said...dont set your network to home or work set it to public (I dont set it at all, I dont need to connect to the net)

I've never seen the errors people usually get when doing this, but I also build in a VM with no network adapter at all, so perhaps that could be it. I would concur though, stopping those services before running sysprep is usually a good idea.

Has both the Media Player DRM issue and Network Location issue been fixed with SP1? These two issues I have seen cause the error you are getting.

Yes, what he said...dont set your network to home or work set it to public (I dont set it at all, I dont need to connect to the net)

I did set it to public only, and I had to connect to network and I tried installing SP1 with offline installer and I got that error, this time I would update my OS online for installing SP1 and then try to capture my image, I hope this time I won't get any error.

I would also try the VHD method.

BTW thanks to all of you guys. I really learnt a lot from this forum.

During sysprep, I've don't use the connection window at all (just close the window if this one appears), installed SP1 "Offiline" and all is fine!

The connection window doesn't appears when I've installed Windows 7 on a second partition!