Calling all XP with SP 2 or 3 users...

vipejc

Honestly, I've never heard of it being done any other way (successfully). An "over the top" reinstall (aka "upgrade in-place") usually works but you have to reinstall all of subsequent the SP's/hotfixes again and (maybe) retest all of your apps (to make sure nothing got clobbered). I've done this before and haven't found a problem with it. Just time-consuming (which is what you're massively losing right now - time!).

That's exactly why I do NOT want to perform an in-place upgrade. I wonder if my theory would work: manipulate the Registry offline using BartPE (hard disk controller data); delete "hal.dll" from the system32 folder, replace with correct HAL file, and rename "hal.dll"; and then reboot.

I wonder if my theory would work: manipulate the Registry offline using BartPE (hard disk controller data); delete "hal.dll" from the system32 folder, replace with correct HAL file, and rename "hal.dll"; and then reboot.
This does work.

Beside hal there is kernel, chipset, cpu and custom drivers.

Old and new hardware is importand. A backup would be nice too.

I wonder if my theory would work: manipulate the Registry offline using BartPE (hard disk controller data); delete "hal.dll" from the system32 folder, replace with correct HAL file, and rename "hal.dll"; and then reboot.
This does work.

Beside hal there is kernel, chipset, cpu and custom drivers.

Old and new hardware is importand. A backup would be nice too.

I can find plenty of articles on how to migrate an XP installation from a WORKING SOURCE SYSTEM to DESTINATION SYSTEM, but not one on migrating XP from an IMAGE OF A DOWNED SYSTEM to destination system.

So it can be done, but how? Exactly what hard disk controller data needs to be changed in the Registry to make this procedure successful? How do we set the offline Registry data for XP so it uses Windows' standard drivers, such as the Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller?

Which old and new hardware do you use?

Motherboard, hard disk, CPU, chipset, mass storage controller

Does old windows map ControlSet001 to CurrentControlSet?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc978529.aspx

Boot a PE, load system registry and read default.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc978530.aspx

Exactly what hard disk controller data needs to be changed in the Registry to make this procedure successful?
Settings relating to the unknown controller.
How do we set the offline Registry data for XP so it uses Windows' standard drivers, such as the Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller?
FixIDE or another one.

Why exactly are you opposed to a repair install? I had done a repair install on my old XP system and it saved all settings and everything was exactly the same. I even had used the wrong media type to do the reinstall so I only had to activate Windows and it was just like before.

Why exactly are you opposed to a repair install? I had done a repair install on my old XP system and it saved all settings and everything was exactly the same. I even had used the wrong media type to do the reinstall so I only had to activate Windows and it was just like before.

Because an in-place upgrade requires reinstalling all Service Packs and Windows' updates.

Jaclaz, my motherboard failed and I don't have a backup system. I want to set my XP installation to use Windows' Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller and change the HAL, without reinstalling or performing an in-place repair. Is this possible using BartPE or any other tools?

About the IDE, yes, it is possible, and you have been told how to do it.

About the HAL it is also possible, but depending on the actual "before" HAL and "after" HAL it may be tricky.

I would rather use the BOOT.INI capabilities of "forcing" a HAL - at least for testing. :unsure:

As cdob pointed out other drivers (essentially the chipset ones) may get in the way.

My personal advice is:

• I think everything is possible
  • what you want to do though possible is VERY complex (and prone to problems)
  • if you are doing it in order to "save" your previous install it would be much easier to buy (used) a motherboard identical to the one you have
  • if you are doing this for fun/research it is allright, if not ANY other solution, the above or the "in place upgrade one" will be faster ad safer
  • In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

jaclaz

Because an in-place upgrade requires reinstalling all Service Packs and Windows' updates.

uh, not if you can "slipstream" them.

I've also done "repair" installations of XP with integrated/slipstreamed SPs/updates on a few XP computers and I had no huge problems with them.

sure some personal settings may get resetted but it's no big deal.

uh, not if you can "slipstream" them.

I've also done "repair" installations of XP with integrated/slipstreamed SPs/updates on a few XP computers and I had no huge problems with them.

sure some personal settings may get resetted but it's no big deal.

vipejc wants to not slipstream so as to "keep updates separate from the install". I would, however (with that in mind), go along with slipstreaming the SP3 (if pre-SP3).

submix8c' timestamp='1301540044' post='961192']

vipejc wants to not slipstream so as to "keep updates separate from the install". I would, however (with that in mind), go along with slipstreaming the SP3 (if pre-SP3).

No, I want to integrate all XP and other updates that go with XP using nLite and make a master XP install DVD, but that doesn't seem possible, as I've read an integrated update breaks something or the update can't be integrated. I already have an XP CD with SP3 slipstreamed. At this point, I'm just playing the waiting game, and in late 2014 when XP updates are done and the mod makers smooth it all over, that's when I'll do that.

No, I want to integrate all XP and other updates that go with XP using nLite and make a master XP install DVD, but that doesn't seem possible, as I've read an integrated update breaks something or the update can't be integrated. I already have an XP CD with SP3 slipstreamed. At this point, I'm just playing the waiting game, and in late 2014 when XP updates are done and the mod makers smooth it all over, that's when I'll do that.
Uh, uh! nothing "breaks". You just have to do subsequent integrations "fresh" as if done for the first time, not "integrate on top of a previous integration". Fresh only! No Probs! Where did you read "it breaks stuff"? Never seen it...

Have you read nLite instructions? It specifically states "start from untrammeled source" and it's been stated everywhere repeatedly. (sheesh!)

Integrate yes! Re-integrate NO!

(make up my mind... I thought you stated you didn't want to integrate because of all the future updates. is the fear of not being able to integrate future updates the problem? start afresh each time and voila!)

Edited by submix8c