CRT monitor best resolution

victorhugo289

Hi all,

I am using Windows XP with a 15-inch CRT monitor and I want to make the best of it, I am looking for the best settings as to:

--resolution

--theme

--font size

--DPI

is concerned.

Right now I am using 800x600x32 and the Windows Classic theme.

I would like so bad to use 1024x768 resolution as I do on Ubuntu but here in Windows everything looks sooo small, and if I modify the DPI the results are... let's say unsatisfactory.

I know CRT has limitations, but please someone help me how to make the font look great on 1024x768!!

I am planning on using Autocad 2007 heavily and the tools and the drawing space is tool cluttered, the tools are out of place, there's gotta be some way of making this look great.

I'm not gonna buy a new monitor any time soon, I'll have to stick to this, so any help would be appreciated.

Edited by victorhugo289

Best resolution - Highest native resolution that supports a comfortable refresh rate. For some people 60 Hz is good enough. Others require at least 75 Hz to avoid eye fatigue.

Best theme - Satisfy your own personal tastes.

Best font size/DPI - Stick with default. Some applications are not written to adapt to changes in font size or DPI, and will truncate text or images to within the hard-coded window size.

For AutoCAD or any other graphics or design software, you should really be using the largest high resolution monitor you can afford. Back when I was into it, a 21 inch CRT was the bare minimum.

You definitely should be able to get a decent 1024x768 on a 15". Check if some buttons on screen (sometimes at the back of it) allow you to increase the display area.

• 2 weeks later...

Most 15" will only do 60Hz on 1024*768, you will get tired eyes from that.

I know you said you won't be buying another screen soon, but there are lots of 17" screen used for just 200 to 300 pesos (16 to 24 USD, Samsung, LG) that would work well with 1024*768 at 75Hz. A new 15.6" LCD with a resolution of 1366*768 would cost 1100-1200 Pesos (about 95USD, Acer, 3 years warranty).

Most 15" will only do 60Hz on 1024*768, you will get tired eyes from that.

not only that, using 1024x768 screen resolution on a 15' monitor at 60hz can sometimes cause headaches along with eye strains, actual physical headaches which I have to take some Tylenol to relieve them.

my eyes hurt sometimes when using 1024x768 resolution at 60hz, seeing the monitor flicker like that.

I'll eventually replace this old hp pavilion mx50 15 inch monitor and get a bigger one where I can use the 1024x768 resolution at least a 70hz refresh rate. many web sites today require a mininum of a 1024x768 resolution for them to work correctly.