SumatraPDF for Win98SE

aru

Hi all,

Recently a lot of malware utilizes some security issues of Acrobat Reader.

Latest version of Acrobar Reader that works on Win98SE it's the 6.0, but has these security bugs.

I have tried also Foxit that sometimes crash on my pc.

I have found SumatraPDF, a GPL open source project: the only version that starts on Windows 98 it's the 0.8.1 but with a lot of problems (no menu, etc.), so I have downloaded the sources of this old version and I have changed the code for to works better also on Win98SE.

The .exe and the sources modified are available from here:

http://www.andrearusso.eu/sumatra/SumatraPDF.zip (1,2 Mb)

I hope it's useful to someone.

aru

Edited by aru

I'm using a latest version (4.3.1) of Foxit Reader but I haven't problem to open pdf file with newest (1.4) portable version of Sumatra PDF (KernelEx 4.5 Final installed).

I have not yet installed KernelEx, for the moment I prefer to resist.

I will install KernelEx only only when I cannot make otherwise.

So my version of SumatraPDF works without KernelEx.

aru

Guest wsxedcrfv

I've just tried to install SumatraPDF 1.4 (original version, not the version modified by aru) and it throws up a message "Installation failed! Couldn't create installation directory". This is on win-98se with KernelEx 4.5.101. I tried to unpack the file using winrar, but winrar couldn't do it (says the files are "unknown method"). I then tried 7zip, and it worked (3 DLL files, 1 exe, 1 ttf) and I can run SumatraPDF from that directory. I opened the largest pdf I could find on my system (40 mb - the technical service manual for my Sony TV, about 150 pages) and it seems to work fine:

http://software-files-l.cnet.com/s/software/11/81/71/67/SumatraPDF-1.4-install.exe?e=1300562034&h=318dff4c27597c8b851e40e391de7cdd&lop=link&ptype=1901&ontid=10743&siteId=4&edId=3&spi=7aa0028a6b1316118bcbf75c87490c7a&pid=11817167&psid=10698785&fileName=SumatraPDF-1.4-install.exe

PDFXchange also works well on 98 with KernelEX. For me, it works better than Foxit as it doesn't continually deplete system resources.

PDFXchange 2.5.0193 portable works fine on Win 98 4.10.2222 without KernelEx.

PDFXchange also works well on 98 with KernelEX. For me, it works better than Foxit as it doesn't continually deplete system resources.

Does PDFXchange print in Win 98SE? It doesn't for me but Foxit and SumatraPDF do. (I use KernelEx.)

Does PDFXchange print in Win 98SE? It doesn't for me but Foxit and SumatraPDF do. (I use KernelEx.)

I don't have a printer so don't know, but it will export as image to file.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not yet installed KernelEx, for the moment I prefer to resist.

I will install KernelEx only only when I cannot make otherwise.

So my version of SumatraPDF works without KernelEx.

aru

yeah I guess, but without those essential menu bar and menu options.

personally I prefer using sumatrapdf 1.x w/ kernelex and with the menu options on an old 98se machine.

using sumatrapdf under 98se with no menu bar & no menu bar options looks so awkward.

• 10 years later...