ST2000DL003 (Seagate Barracuda LP Green 2000GB) suddenly ceases

Thank you for your quick answer, jaclaz. I had already googled thru a lot of those posts and they will surely (and hopefully) help many as to make them try out a solution. As for me, I am very clumsy at electrical/electronic handling, but if someone succeeds and post the concrete solution for the case of the Model we´re talking about (ST2000DL003 Barracuda LP Green 2000 GB P/N 9VT166-301 F/W CC32 and PCB 100617465 "REV B") I´d blindly go and buy the stuff and try to connect and type everything right, but I´m not so confident/daring as to attempting by myself and fail to enter the correct hypeterminal commands and spoil it all. Sorry for my English but I´m Spanish where our educ system teachs u English for a lifetime and one ends up stammering out some scarcely intelligible words in the best case (so bad! :angry: ); well, stopping the blathering, I also posted in the SEAGATE thread for this subject 2 days ago and today after 267 posts one of the Moderators prompts us to contact technical support. I appreciate it but I fear the response will be to make use of the guarantee (which still covers me, just like the most of us with this problem, for I bought this HDD in April 2012, so everyone can change the HDD for a new one, but what about the data?). Well, thank for your attention, and please don´t let this post down (nor the SEAGATE one if you SEAGATE people are reading this). Have a good day :sneaky:

Edited by pich39

Thank you for your quick answer, jaclaz. I had already googled thru a lot of those posts and they will surely (and hopefully) help many as to make them try out a solution. As for me, I am very clumsy at electrical/electronic handling, but if someone succeeds and post the concrete solution for the case of the Model we´re talking about (ST2000DL003 Barracuda LP Green 2000 GB P/N 9VT166-301 F/W CC32 and PCB 100617465 "REV B") I´d blindly go and buy the stuff and try to connect and type everything right, but I´m not so confident/daring as to attempting by myself and fail to enter the correct hypeterminal commands and spoil it all. Sorry for my English but I´m Spanish where our educ system teachs u English for a lifetime and one ends up stammering out some scarcely intelligible words in the best case (so bad! :angry: ); well, stopping the blathering, I also posted in the SEAGATE thread for this subject 2 days ago and today after 267 posts one of the Moderators prompts us to contact technical support. I appreciate it but I fear the response will be to make use of the guarantee (which still covers me, just like the most of us with this problem, for I bought this HDD in April 2012, so everyone can change the HDD for a new one, but what about the data?). Well, thank for your attention, and please don´t let this post down (nor the SEAGATE one if you SEAGATE people are reading this). Have a good day :sneaky:

Well, said from an Italian ;), your English is much better than the "average" we find on this forum, I wouldn't be so critical about it :).

The sheer "electrical/electronic" handling is not particularly complex, once you will hvae reviewed the guide you will see how it is little more than (say) find out why your Chrstmas tree lights don't work....

The real issue here is that unlike for the 7200.11 (and to a far lesser degree the 7200.11 ES2) for the LP we have little "certainties", and scarce informations on both the "cause" and the "remedy".

But don't worry, shouild you have no other choices and decide to "go ahead", someone will assist you. :)

jaclaz

I post because I´ve found this recent page (posted ending July-2012) http://blog.pcbfordatarecovery.com/?p=8 where the tech guy there talks of the issue relative to the ST2000DL003 being inaccessible to hyperterminal commands (perhaps he had to have shorted the pins and didn´t??), although there´s a dim scope for hope for he makes a final statement in the sense that SEAGATE Manufacture Engineers would "reveal" a solution at the end of August 2012. Let´s pray for September now, and don´t give up, sooner than later the clouds will go. Good day 2 ye all :yes:

Edited by pich39

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a Seagate b

I have no idea whether this is now known here, but it seems that during February and March, many ST2000DL003 (Seagate Barracuda LP Green 2000GB) drives have failed for users all over the world. Mine died a few days ago (2 days after purchase), so I tried connecting to its monitor to see what happens (and maybe try the N1/m0,2,2... fix), so here's what I've found out:

The dead drive is:

ST2000DL003

P/N: 9VT166-301

F/W: CC32 (NOTE: I've seen reports of this failure w/ CC31, too)

DATE: 11311

SITE: SU

Kind of failure: Without a previous hint of problem, the drive suddenly ceases to talk to the controller (i. e., it cannot be detected by the BIOS when the machine is starting up). The sound of the spinning up is perfectly all right.

I managed to connect to the disk's serial interface, and this is the diagnostic output it gives upon power-up. Hopefully someone qualified can step up and tell us what it actually is that the ST2000DL003s are choking on.

(P) SATA Reset

SIM Error 1009

RW Error 00000080

User Data Base 00990DE8

MCMainPOR: Start:

Check MCMT Version: Current

MCMainPOR: Non-Init Case

MC Seg Disc and Cache Nodes: 4011982C 4011793C

Seg Write Preamble VBM start: 000010A7 end: 000010CE

Footer - start: 000010D0 end: 000010F7

Seg Read Preamble VBM - start: 000010F9 end: 00001120

Footer - start: 00001122 end: 00001149

Reconstruction: MCMT Reconstruction Start

Max number of MC segments 22E0

Nonvolatile MCMT sequence number 000070B0

[RSRS] 0EBA

Reconstruction: EXCEPTION: Segment Overall Sequence Number Mismatch

00004221 00000000 A

Recon Last Chance Header ID FFFFFFFF SeqNum FFFFFFFF Current

Segment, Head

Rst 0x40M

MC Internal LPC Process

LED:000000BD FAddr:00005652

Apparently the firmware is running into an assertion failure based on something it reads from the platters when starting up.

The bad news is there's no way to fix this using the "seagate fix" described all over the various Internet boards (that is, issuing commands N1 to reset the SMART log and m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 to re-format the user partition), because one never gets to the monitors prompt (ctrl-z won't work after the firmware has stumbled upon the exception). Insulating the contacts to either the motor or the heads (or both) doesn't help in this regard, because Seagate, as it seems, has crippled the electronics on these new drives by making the monitor (and presumably everything else) dependent on something that first has to be read from the platters. In other words, while older disks would communicate on the serial monitor even with the PCB totally disconnected from the motor and the heads, these new drives don't even start to log anything into the monitor until after they've spinned up and read a couple sectors from the platters. I tried taking the electronics off from several drives I have lying around (7200.9, 7200.10, 7200.11 and also one 2.5-inch drive), and this new drive is the only one that needs to read something from the platters before starting the serial monitor. I can't resist commenting on this observation... It simply seems that Seagate has made a pretty bad [cost cutting?] decision here.

Also, if you want to try to connect to a dead ST2000DL003's monitor yourself, note that:

- this new drive needs 5V to send/receive on the TX/RX lines (as opposed to 3.3V with all the older drives),

- while some older drives would communicate at 9600 bps, the ST2000DL003 communicates at 38400 bps,

- using a PCB from another, completely healthy disk doesn't help, because although the PCB will be able to spin up the drive, it won't then be able to read the initial couple of sectors (perhaps because of some platters-specific calibration data stored in the 512K Winbond flash?) and thus start the monitor.

Hope this helps someone eventually.

I have no idea whether this is now known here, but it seems that during February and March, many ST2000DL003 (Seagate Barracuda LP Green 2000GB) drives have failed for users all over the world. Mine died a few days ago (2 days after purchase), so I tried connecting to its monitor to see what happens (and maybe try the N1/m0,2,2... fix), so here's what I've found out:

The dead drive is:

ST2000DL003

Kind of failure: Without a previous hint of problem, the drive suddenly ceases to talk to the controller (i. e., it cannot be detected by the BIOS when the machine is starting up). The sound of the spinning up is perfectly all right.

I managed to connect to the disk's serial interface, and this is the diagnostic output it gives upon power-up. Hopefully someone qualified can step up and tell us what it actually is that the ST2000DL003s are choking on.

(P) SATA Reset

SIM Error 1009

RW Error 00000080

User Data Base 00990DE8

[RSRS] 0EBA

00004221 00000000 A

Segment, Head

Rst 0x40M

MC Internal LPC Process

Apparently the firmware is running into an assertion failure based on something it reads from the platters when starting up.

The bad news is there's no way to fix this using the "seagate fix" described all over the various Internet boards (that is, issuing commands N1 to reset the SMART log and m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 to re-format the user partition), because one never gets to the monitors prompt (ctrl-z won't work after the firmware has stumbled upon the exception). Insulating the contacts to either the motor or the heads (or both) doesn't help in this regard, because Seagate, as it seems, has crippled the electronics on these new drives by making the monitor (and presumably everything else) dependent on something that first has to be read from the platters. In other words, while older disks would communicate on the serial monitor even with the PCB totally disconnected from the motor and the heads, these new drives don't even start to log anything into the monitor until after they've spinned up and read a couple sectors from the platters. I tried taking the electronics off from several drives I have lying around (7200.9, 7200.10, 7200.11 and also one 2.5-inch drive), and this new drive is the only one that needs to read something from the platters before starting the serial monitor. I can't resist commenting on this observation... It simply seems that Seagate has made a pretty bad [cost cutting?] decision here.

Also, if you want to try to connect to a dead ST2000DL003's monitor yourself, note that:

- this new drive needs 5V to send/receive on the TX/RX lines (as opposed to 3.3V with all the older drives),

- while some older drives would communicate at 9600 bps, the ST2000DL003 communicates at 38400 bps,

- using a PCB from another, completely healthy disk doesn't help, because although the PCB will be able to spin up the drive, it won't then be able to read the initial couple of sectors (perhaps because of some platters-specific calibration data stored in the 512K Winbond flash?) and thus start the monitor.

Hope this helps someone eventually.[/quote

The dead drive is:

ST2000DL003

(P) SATA Reset

SIM Error 1009

RW Error 00000080

User Data Base 00990DE8

[RSRS] 0EBA

00004221 00000000 A

Segment, Head

Rst 0x40M

MC Internal LPC Process

Hope this helps someone eventually.

I have the same drive as you but I was getting a different error, drive wouldn't show up on the PC I did the read short trick and the drive was recognized in my PC but there was a problem windows still didn't boot so I connected it to my laptop via USB and the drive ask to format it. Knowing if I did this my data would be lost forever so I didn't. I tried it a couple more times to make sure and was given the same propt. I knew my data wasn't gone, I hope it wasn't so I did a little bit of digging and found a program called DMDE. Its a disk recovery software when launched ask me to choose my drive. My first priority was to get my data before something goes wrong so I did. There were other options but recover data first then play with the drive. After hours waiting on the recovery and playing with the available options I found out that I could restore the partitions in one click, I didn't know I restored it until I restored my operating system. I hook it up via USB and instead of format my data showed up. I shut the PC down hook the drive up as normal and it loaded my os everything in tacked no slowdowns as stated in previous post. Bottom line is use the read short trick, it my take several tries but it will work. I don't remember the strange beeping noise, all I no was it showed error reading something something, and I held the pins until it stopped terminal was easy access able. Did the smart ect ect drive shows up to format. Yours my be different if it shows up in your PC us dmde or similar software to correct the partition. Good luck and thanks for all your support in this forum I never would've restored my drive without it

• 2 months later...

I just got this issue after doing a factory reset of my NAS. Been having a discussion with the tech support at Seagate, which sucked, then finding this lovely thread. A serial cable has been ordered.

But:

This method seems to be very promising. I have one of these drives and I tried shorting it at the points shown above and then tried connecting it as an external hard drive. My computer can now see the drive and it's contents but the access is extremely slow. I did not do the terminal commands yet as I had to order the hardware to do so and haven't received it yet. I'm assuming that after I do the terminal commands it should fix the slow access issue. I'll report back once I receive the hardware and attempt the terminal commands, but I'm pretty confident it will work.

Are you saying you did the shorting of the read points without the use of a serial cable and terminal? I might want to try that as well, but I don't know when to start shortening it?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I got two drives of this model (ST2000DL003-9VT166) that both died at the same time after a power shortage of ReadyNAS 1100 I got. Neither of them was found in a regular computers BIOS, but they where identified by the NAS unit, altough they failed to initialize - Error messages said that the drives were BUSY.

After some paniciing and fury I found this thread, ordered a CA-42 (copy) cable. Got it the other day, took it apart and today I finally got acces using serial connection.

Drive 1: Success.

Before I got the cable I shortned the two pins (found in image in post #9), hoping that would work solely - it did not. So when I go the cable I connected it and finally got some output from the boot process:

Rst 0x40M MC Internal LPC Process(P) SATA Reset User Data Base  00991680 MCMainPOR: Start:  Check MCMT Version: Current MCMainPOR: Non-Init Case MC Seg Disc and Cache Nodes:  4011A624  40118734 Seg Write Preamble VBM start: 000010A7 end: 000010CE  Footer - start: 000010D0 end: 000010F7 Seg Read Preamble VBM - start: 000010F9 end: 00001120  Footer - start: 00001122 end: 00001149Reconstruction: MCMT Reconstruction Start   Max number of MC segments 22E0 Nonvolatile MCMT sequence number 00000002 [RSRS] 0000Reconstruction: Completed 0: HeadPtr was unwritten [MCMTWS] MCMainPOR: MCTBufferPtr->Header.MCStateFlagsDisc = 00000001 MCMainPOR: MCTBufferPtr->Header.MCTStateFlags = 0000002A MCMainPOR: MCStateFlags = 00000001 MCMainPOR: Feature Enabled...

There the output ended. Pressing Ctrl+Z did not do anything. So I started to short the pins, and I got:

InitiateMarkPendingReallocateRequest for disc_lba: 08EFAE2A

After that the drive sounded a bit more than usual and after each periodic sound it added a "!" at the end of "08EFAE2A".

I tried Ctrl+Z again and finally got access! So I ran the commands:

F3 2>Z(took around 14 secs to spin down)F3 2>UCtrl+ZF3T>i4,1,22F3 2>/1F3 1>N1Then powered down.

Connected the drive to a computer and it was found in BIOS. Booted Ubuntu, formated it, ran some SMART tests. It's now connected to my NAS again and is initializing.

Disk 2: Bad..

Booting:

(P) SATA ResetUser Data Base 00991CC0MCMainPOR: Start:Check MCMT Version: CurrentMCMainPOR: Non-Init CaseMC Seg Disc and Cache Nodes: 4011A624 40118734Seg Write Preamble VBM start: 000010A7 end: 000010CEFooter - start: 000010D0 end: 000010F7Seg Read Preamble VBM - start: 000010F9 end: 00001120Footer - start: 00001122 end: 00001149Reconstruction: MCMT Reconstruction StartMax number of MC segments 22E0Nonvolatile MCMT sequence number 000000A6[RSRS] 0061Reconstruction: Completed 0: HeadPtr was unwritten[MCMTWS]MCMainPOR: MCTBufferPtr->Header.MCStateFlagsDisc = 00000041MCMainPOR: MCTBufferPtr->Header.MCTStateFlags = 00000022MCMainPOR: MCStateFlags = 00000041MCMainPOR: Feature Enabled...Rst 0x40MMC Internal LPC ProcessLED:000000BD FAddr:000058E4

Ctrl+Z not working. Power down, power up, shortned the pins the whole time. The drive gave a loud beep. Nothing else changed.

After a few retries I got access to the terminal by using the window (of a few seconds) between "Feature enabled..." and "LED:000000BD FAddr:000058E"

Ran the same commands as for disk 1. Powered down, connected it to a PC - No change: it still was not found my BIOS.

Plugging it back into serial connection, running the commands a few more times, restarting the drive and found that the "LED:000000BD FAddr:000058E" issue persisted.

Trying the "paper over header, under PCB". Gave nothing. At all. So I thought (I know....) "The hell with it!" (I know... I know.." and then I ran:

>m0,2,2,,,,,22User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs        Zone re-format was skipped.

No change when power cycling. Ran the first commands that worked for the dirst disk anothe time, no change, so I started to shortned the pins even longer after restart of the drive. No I started to get these new messages:

FAIL Op=0900 Resp=0005FAIL Op=0600 Resp=0005No HOST FIS-ReadyStatusFlags 0002A1A4

huh? Pressing Ctrl+Z again - still got terminal access. But now when I ran the previous commands, including m0(...) and so on, I started to get:

Init SMART Fail

Then I get kicked out of the terminal and the error message is followed by the old:

Rst 0x40M MC Internal LPC ProcessLED:000000BD FAddr:000058E4

Using the window to get into terminal again I can still spin up and down, but N1 or m0 gives me "Init SMART fail" and I get kicked out.

And that's where I am at right now.

Edited by danielholm

Well, with all due respect :) your reports are either "vague" :w00t: or meaningless :ph34r: (or BOTH).

The only (BTW completely unreferenced/untested/unconfirmed) related post says to NOT run "all commands" (WHICH ones?), so I wonder what you did/have been following. :unsure:

It seems to me clear that:

a. your drives EITHER did not suffer from the same illness OR you cured them somehow differently

b. you completely fail to DETAIL which cure(s) you applied to which drive EXACTLY

Don't take it as an offence :), but if you posted the above in order to hopefully help  someone with a disk suffering from the same issue, your post is not useful as it misses a lot of information on WHAT EXACTLY you did successfully on the first disk drive, on the other hand, if it is to look for help, it is as well not clear WHAT EXACTLY you did unsuccessfully on the second disk drive.

It would be nice if you could (no matter what is the reason of your post) report in more detail what happened and the symptoms they have (I presume that they are/were "BSY") and as well EXACTLY what you did on the one (and on the other).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Well, with all due respect :) your reports are either "vague" :w00t: or meaningless :ph34r: (or BOTH).

The only (BTW completely unreferenced/untested/unconfirmed) related post says to NOT run "all commands" (WHICH ones?), so I wonder what you did/have been following. :unsure:

It seems to me clear that:

a. your drives EITHER did not suffer from the same illness OR you cured them somehow differently

b. you completely fail to DETAIL which cure(s) you applied to which drive EXACTLY

Don't take it as an offence :), but if you posted the above in order to hopefully help  someone with a disk suffering from the same issue, your post is not useful as it misses a lot of information on WHAT EXACTLY you did successfully on the first disk drive, on the other hand, if it is to look for help, it is as well not clear WHAT EXACTLY you did unsuccessfully on the second disk drive.

It would be nice if you could (no matter what is the reason of your post) report in more detail what happened and the symptoms they have (I presume that they are/were "BSY") and as well EXACTLY what you did on the one (and on the other).

jaclaz

No offence taken; you are of course perfectly right.

I have updated the previous post.

Edited by danielholm