Recovery Partition

yaardvaark

Once and for all, can someone tell me if it is possible to create an installation disk from a recovery partition. I have a Compaq laptop with Vista Home Basic, ca 2006 vintage, recovery partition only - no install CD. I would like to make an install disk in order to slipstream SP1 & SP2 & slim down using VLite.

If this is indeed possible, please advise step-by-step procedure for doing so.

Thx.

Edited by yaardvaark

Once and for all,

With all due respect :), I have seen better innuendos at first post. :w00t:

can someone tell me if it is possible to create an installation disk from a recovery partition.

Most accurate answer would be YMMV, (your mileage may vary) there is NO way to know what actually is inside your recovery partition, it could be contain BOTH an "install compatible" set of files and an "image" of the pre-configured system, or just the latter. :(

I have a Compaq laptop with Vista Home Basic, ca 2006 vintage, recovery partition only - no install CD. I would like to make an install disk in order to slipstream SP1 & SP2 & slim down using VLite.

If this is indeed possible, please advise step-by-step procedure for doing so.

See links given here about similar situations:

jaclaz

Sorry, I meant no disrespect. - my frustration must be showing through!

I am a day trader & use 2 laptops for charting and trading apps. Computer problems mean I can't make money because I'm trying to fix computers instead.

Thanks much for the links - I'll digest thoroughly & give it a go.

Thanks & regards.

BTW, the PC in question is a Presario C500 with Celeron M440 & 945 Express chipset.

BTW, the PC in question is a Presario C500 with Celeron M440 & 945 Express chipset.

Yep :), once you have a general idea (through the given links), if you have problems, do post a directory listing of the partition containing the files and some more details (like is it hidden normally, is it FAT32 or NTFS, etc.)

A quick search for that models hints that what you have in it is most likely just the recovery partition with an image of the "factory status", but maybe it is still possible to re-create a working setup disk using those files. :unsure:

jaclaz

Create the recoverydisks would be a good thing to start with. But you can try mount the recoverypartition by giving it a driveletter and see if you can find an install.wim or install.swm files.

You cant slipstream SP2 with vista, you need to use reverse integration:)

• 1 month later...

there is NO way to know what actually is inside your recovery partition, it could be contain BOTH an "install compatible" set of files and an "image" of the pre-configured system, or just the latter. :(

Just for info, as this post is quite fresh, we've just receive 3 new Dell laptops that are shipped with a "Recovery" partition that is only meant to start a REPAIR (WinRE). The Wim file is ~155 MB. . The partition is ACTIVE by default but is not assigned a drive letter in Windows. So you can still boot and try to repair from it when you've butchered your system, but there is not enough in there to completely rebuild a PC. New fun!

Comes in time when I just scratched my head for days reinstalling my in law's 3 years old Inspiron1720 which was shipped at the time with 4 primary partitions (yeah Dell, go go go !). 1DellDiag, 2Recovery(real one), 3System and 4(extended)Dell/Roxio Media Direct. Icing on the cake was Vista. And of course I had to change the HDD. Nothing works now :D

Software Included:

Recovery partition (including possibility to recover system, applications and drivers separately); Optional re-allocation of recovery partition; Recovery CD/DVD creation tool; ...

HP/CPQ doesn't pull the krap Dell does. An Acer Netbook has the WinRE and the full set of WIM/SWM (2 partitions only). Dell stinks (an opinion)! "Altered" power supplies? Seriously? ("Dude, you're gettin' a H#LL")

Make the Recover CD's/DVD's (bet it works the same as Acer, eMachine, etc.) for insurance. Also bet you'll see the WIM/SWM sets on them... Also, this implies that the FULL SET is on the Recover Partition. Otherwise (sometimes JUST the Drivers/Apps), you MUST have gotten the Recovery (OS-part) DVD when shipped.