Best Way To Slipstream Updates?

Hey,

Just was wondering if the way I slipstream updates into wim files is the best method.

I download all the msu updates and then extract the updates one by one using the following command in a batch file:

expand "blah1.msu" -F:* c:\extract

expand "blah2.msu" -F:* c:\extract

expand "blah3.msu" -F:* c:\extract

I then go into the c:\extract folder and delete everything except for the cab files that were extracted.

I run WSIM and mount the wim file and create a xml answer file with all the cab files included.

After that I run the following batch file to integrate the updates into the wim:

dism /mount-wim /wimfile:c:\extract\install.wim /index:1 /mountdir:c:\mount /quiet

echo %errorlevel%

start /wait "" pkgmgr /n:"c:\extract\updates-x86.xml" /o:c:\mount;c:\mount\windows /s:c:\sandbox

echo %errorlevel%

dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:c:\mount /commit /quiet

echo %errorlevel%

Is there a better process in doing this? Is there a better way or more efficient way?

Edited by oilernut

Why expand msu's? Just use /Add-package command to integrate them:)

Something like this after i mount the image?

dism /image:c:\mount /add-package /packagepath:C:\extract\blah1.msu /packagepath:C:\extract\blah2.msu

You dont have to specifiy each and every msu, just place them ALL in a single folder and use only the path to the folder in /packagepath

/packagepath:<path_to_folder>

What he wrote. packapgepath is good if you want to integrate specific packages but if you want them all, its the <path to folder>

• 3 weeks later...

Well finally had time today to try this method out and no go...

/Add-Package /PackagePath:<path_to_package>

Installs a specified .cab package in the image. Multiple packages can be

added on one command line.

/PackagePath can point to either a .cab file or a folder.

Examples:

DISM.exe /Image:C:\test\offline /Add-Package

/PackagePath:C:\test\packages

DISM.exe /Image:C:\test\offline /Add-Package

/PackagePath:C:\test\packages\package.cab

Tried pointing it to the folder with the msu files and failed, so I tried pointing it to the extracted cab files failed as well.

Yes as above, easiest way is to use dism command to add all msu's found inside a specified folder. For example:

dism /image:C:\Users\max\Desktop\win7lab\mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\Users\max\Desktop\win7lab\updates32"

This single line adds every msu file found inside the updates32 folder to the mounted wim file automatically. I just download all the msu's and put them in the folder. Then after mounting my wim using dism, I run this command and watch it install them one after the other all automatically.

Edited by maxvre

dism /image:C:\Users\max\Desktop\win7lab\mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\Users\max\Desktop\win7lab\updates32"

This single line adds every msu file found inside the updates32 folder to the mounted wim file automatically.

That will also add all .cab from same folder

oilernut all you need is the folder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...