Win XP Pro w/silent Office 2003 Install - Solved!

Mobes

Hello,

I am slowly progressing towards creating my unattended Win XP Pro cd. I just recently integrated SP3 to the program and have added I believe all of the KB's from Microsoft Update up to SP3. I thought I would test this version before spending more time on it.

I did have one interesting mssg during install - MSVBVM60.dll could not install. It gave me the option to retry, exit or I believe ignore. I chose to retry and then it continued. I believe it was installed?? No other issues until it finished and Windows began to reboot.

I was getting:

1. ISASS.exe error

2. Write operation was attempted after volume was dismounted

At this point, Windows kept attempting to restart and came back to these errors. There was also an error regarding "not enough resources" but I could not catch all of the wording before it began to reboot again. I am using an older Dell machine that previously had WinXP Home edition installed.

Can someone please review my Last Session.ini? I did see a similar post where it may have to do with some of the patches and hotfixes....

Thanks!

Summary: Thread is pretty long, but contains good info from spoiledbrat! I could have successfully completed much quicker except for not realizing I needed to use SETUPPRO.exe in my batch.cmd instead of SETUP.exe and also I inadvertently skipped past the step in creating the unattended.mst where you need to include the Product Key! I'll call it a rookie mistake!

Last Session.ini

Edited by Mobes

Hi,

It coudn't possibly be nLite's fault because it does nothing special - it's just the updates. I see you have updates for .Net, WMP and IE8, but where have you integrated them? You need to integrate them before. Search the forum for addons (some/all of these three cannot be integrated directly into SP3 by nLite). Also, some WMP updates are problematic (depending which version you have in the source - nLite just picks the highest version), so they too need to be taken care of.

Always assuming you have a "clean" source and it's better to not use nLite more than once on the same source.

MSVBVM60.dll update, AFAIR, was different then others (it lacks some of the information regular hofixes have). I just replace the dll after install without problems. In any case, it shouldn't pose any significant problem, whatever you do.

And by the way, it's lsass (Local Security Authority SybSystem), small letter L. ;) But the error is serious. :(

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

Hi,

It coudn't possibly be nLite's fault because it does nothing special - it's just the updates. I see you have updates for .Net, WMP and IE8, but where have you integrated them? You need to integrate them before. Search the forum for addons (some/all of these three cannot be integrated directly into SP3 by nLite). Also, some WMP updates are problematic (depending which version you have in the source - nLite just picks the highest version), so they too need to be taken care of.

Always assuming you have a "clean" source and it's better to not use nLite more than once on the same source.

MSVBVM60.dll update, AFAIR, was different then others (it lacks some of the information regular hofixes have). I just replace the dll after install without problems. In any case, it shouldn't pose any significant problem, whatever you do.

And by the way, it's lsass (Local Security Authority SybSystem), small letter L. ;) But the error is serious. :(

GL

Hey thanks GrofLuigi! So, should I begin by integrating WMP, .Net and IE8 followed by those Updates? I may just attempt without any additional updates and once I have a good working disk and start adding from there.

Can you clarify "clean source" and not using nlite more than once on the same source?? I wasn't clear on what that meant.

Mobes

Clean source is original CD from Microsoft, not OEM (most of the time they work, but you never know) or obtained from some questionable source (so you don't know if someone modified it).

Running nLite again on the same source (the resulting folder of the first run) is better avoided. It works fine with simple operations, like slipstreaming a service pack first time, but there were many reports of unexplained problems. So you should take special care if you want to integrate .Net, WMP and IE8 addons - they must come first before their updates (if any). Reorder them on the Hotfixes and Update Packs screen. Making a first run with them might also work, but according to the reports I've seen on the forum, has less chances of success than doing it all in one go. Finding good addons is essential. Forum user -X- has a good page on updates. There are also all kinds of addons on this board and over at Ryan's.

GL

And to pick up where GrofLuigi left, there are quite a few ready-made add-ons for IE8 and all versions of .NET Framework on RyanVM's site. You could also download a great tool called "Nonno Fabio and OnePiece Update Pack/Addon Creator INTL" (the file name is DXUPAC.exe) which creates add-ons for many useful applications like DirectX, IE8 (put the IE8 install file and the updates in one folder and it will merge them into one file), Open Office, WMP11, Adobe Reader, etc. I've successfully used many of them. You can also find some add-ons in my signature and loads more here http://www.winaddons.com/nlite-addons

I also agree on his note about a clean source; copy a clean source, modify with nLite, create an ISO and test it in a virtual machine. If not satisfied, start all over with a new copy/source. Import the settings of what you did previously from the Last Session.ini file and make appropriate changes until you are happy with it.

Cheers

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

Thanks guys! I am going to start from scratch and really do some homework regarding the add-ons. Just to make sure I understand, my clean source would be considered the files I copied from the cd to my hard drive, right? Then I can import previous settings used and make additional changes to test an additional image, right? I am using VirtualBox as well to test.

I love this forum and the information. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can. I will let you know how it works out or if more questions! :)

Thanks guys! I am going to start from scratch and really do some homework regarding the add-ons. Just to make sure I understand, my clean source would be considered the files I copied from the cd to my hard drive, right? Then I can import previous settings used and make additional changes to test an additional image, right? I am using VirtualBox as well to test.

I love this forum and the information. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can. I will let you know how it works out or if more questions! :)

Sorry for the double post!!

Edited by Mobes

my clean source would be considered the files I copied from the cd to my hard drive, right? Then I can import previous settings used and make additional changes to test an additional image, right?

Yes and Yes. You can do the copying yourself, or let nLite do it for you, which is recommended.

Cheers

SUCCESS!! :w00t: After a bit more research based on help from you guys, I was able to successfully install Win XP SP3 in Virtual Box. I'm attaching my Last Session for review.

Going through the install process, I was stopped to answer questions regarding Regional Settings and Network Setup. Is there a way to bypass these??

Also, I checked for MS Updates and found the following:

KB892130

KB2479943

KB890830

KB2483614

KB2495644

Can I include these in my install and how?

I did have a particular problem when trying to access Add/Remove Progs. I got Error: Parser message. Value creation failed at line 451. How can I resolve this prior to creating a new ISO?

Also, under Display Properties the Windows Buttons option only showed Classic Style. There was not an option for XP. Can you assist with these few items?

Also, what other things would you suggest to further customize? I did not integrate any drivers. If I integrate the Drivers for my laptop will that prevent me from using the disk on any other computer?? I'm not clear how this affects a clean installation.

BTW, I did create from a clean source, slipstreamed SP3 and only included OnePiece post XP3 for an add-on.

I'm very excited that this worked and looking forward to trying a bit more to further enhance!

LAST SESSION.INI

Edited by Mobes

In this picture guide http://win-x.co.cc/nliteimages.html, look at pic #21, the Regional tab (pic #25); this is where you set them. Click on the appropriate Language group and that should be it. If not, also choose English (for e.g.) manually, as well as the time zone.

On pic #21, Desktop themes tab (pic #29) to your right, you set the default theme and style.

If I integrate the Drivers for my laptop will that prevent me from using the disk on any other computer?
Well, the point is that nLite is for personal use and you create one CD with one product key for use with one computer.

As a solution for the other updates, see this page http://win-x.co.cc/updates.html (the add-ons are available for download, and the explanation is in the footnotes)

Cheers

Thanks SpoiledBrat. I'm reviewing the info. So, I would also create a separate nlited install for my desktop computer with specific drivers, right?

Also, I did have a particular problem when trying to access Add/Remove Progs. I got Error: Parser message. Value creation failed at line 451. How can I resolve this prior to creating a new ISO?

How can I resolve this before creating another ISO?

Thanks again,

Mobes

To be honest, we don't often come by programming errors in nLite here. Your Last Session.ini is quite simple with no room for errors. Try doing another ISO while implementing the changes I suggested and see if you get the error again. Please report back.

Edit: I see you are no longer mentioning the lsass.exe error, so I presume it is now resolved.

Cheers

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

Just finished a revised ISO and everything looked good! I was able to test the ISO in Virtual Box. I have started working on Office 2003. I am following an Unattended Office from MSFN.

I have gotten to the boot command and the batch commands and would like more detail on that and how it is integrated as part of the Win ISO.

Thanks again for the help. I will be making another ISO for my desktop.

Mobes