Integrating Windows Updates

vipejc

Install XP. Visit Windows Update. Note down the updates it installs. Reboot. Visit Windows Update again. Also, look at Software, Optional but most of those WILL NOT work in nLite as is.

But why? If you don't want to use my UDC tool just look at the list on the page and download them manually. I've already done all the work for you.

Some updates, like the Windows Media ones will break XP unless you use my add-ons or slipstream WMP11.

Edited by -X-

Install XP. Visit Windows Update. Note down the updates it installs. Reboot. Visit Windows Update again. Also, look at Software, Optional but most of those WILL NOT work in nLite as is.

Is it possible to get them working?

But why? If you don't want to use my UDC tool just look at the list on the page and download them manually. I've already done all the work for you.

I'm sure your tool is very good. I don't plan to start this project until the start of 2014. I feel guilty that people like you do all the hard work. I'd like to contribute, but I'm not a programmer, so the least I can do is some work and learn along the way.

Some updates, like the Windows Media ones will break XP unless you use my add-ons or slipstream WMP11.

I want to integrate WMP11 and IE8 updates, also. Doesn't SP3 include WMP11? If so, will the WMP updates still break XP?

My concern at this point is will my slipstreaming RAID drivers into my XP install disc prevent me from removing a slipstreamed update if needed? Wikipedia is never clear.

Edited by vipejc

Is it possible to get them working?

Some yes. Some, I don't know. I have zero interest in them and am not going to investigate them for you.

I want to integrate WMP11 and IE8 updates, also. Doesn't SP3 include WMP11? If so, will the WMP updates still break XP?

XP SP3 has WMP9. If you slipstream WMP11 with Booogy's tool then the updates will not break XP. To slipstream IE8, follow the instructions on my page.

My concern at this point is will my slipstreaming RAID drivers into my XP install disc prevent me from removing a slipstreamed update if needed? Wikipedia is never clear.

Trust me. You are not going to need to remove an update. The only update that I can recall that gave people problems was one in which the computers were infected with the Alureon Rootkit => http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-BSOD-Cause-by-Alureon-Rootkit-Not-by-Security-Patch-135407.shtml

If you by some miracle you need to remove an update you just copy the files from an untouched XP3 CD. So just forget that Wikipedia article.

Edited by -X-

OK, let's straighten this confusion out!

Read this. It means what it means, no hidden meaning.

And to "uninstall" a Slipstreamed Hotfix you will have to use the official MS way (which will vastly increase the size of your Install CD, unless you intend to use DVD). Note also that the best method (to be able to "uninstall") of "integrating" is to use the $OEM$ folder, as even MS' method "overlays" the original CD files. Right?

In addition, I think you are confusing folks by "bouncing" between topics

BTW, thanks for starting another XP vs 9x topic. :realmad:

Edited by submix8c

If you by some miracle you need to remove an update you just copy the files from an untouched XP3 CD. So just forget that Wikipedia article.

What do you mean by this? If in the very rare instance I need to remove a Windows update but can't through Add/Remove Programs, how would copying SP3 files from CD remove the files and registry data for the update on the live OS?

Let's suppose I use the tools and integrate the add-ons for IE8 and WMP11 so I can slipstream them with nLite. What's to say that future IE8 or WMP11 updates won't require new add-ons or break XP?

Those are my last two questions. I know what must be done and thank you very much for all your help. This stuff is tricky.

And to "uninstall" a Slipstreamed Hotfix you will have to use the official MS way (which will vastly increase the size of your Install CD, unless you intend to use DVD). Note also that the best method (to be able to "uninstall") of "integrating" is to use the $OEM$ folder, as even MS' method "overlays" the original CD files. Right?

I will use a DVD. But, where is this MS way of uninstalling integrated updates? The link just points to Microsoft links that explain how to integrate, not uninstall integrated, updates? I'm talking about uninstalling a problematic update on the live OS, not the CD. Wouldn't I just delete the problematic KBxxxxxx file in the $OEM$ folder on CD and then reburn the disc to remove a problematic update on the XP CD?

In addition, I think you are confusing folks by "bouncing" between topics

Sorry, I like to keep things neat. Since I was inquiring about WUD, logic told me to ask WUD questions in a WUD thread.

BTW, thanks for starting another XP vs 9x topic. :realmad:

This thread is unrelated to this topic and is not an XP-vs.-9x-motivated thread. It's a place where legacy users can discuss the challenges of using legacy OSes and hardware and share tips to keep going.

Thanks mostly to -X-, I'm clear on how it's done. Only XP updates properly integrate into the XP CD with nLite. Integrating WMP11 or IE8 updates require special tools or add-ons.

Edited by vipejc

What do you mean by this? If in the very rare instance I need to remove a Windows update but can't through Add/Remove Programs, how would copying SP3 files from CD remove the files and registry data for the update on the live OS?

People generally think an update does mysterious stuff to their OS. In reality the overwhelming majority of updates just replace files. Lets say you need to remove a slipstreamed update that contains shell32.dll. You would first go to your system32\dllcache folder and delete shell32.dll from there. Then you go to the system32 folder and rename shell32.dll to shell32.old (this is because the file is in use and cant simply be overwritten - SFC will complain about the file being tampered with and to put in your CD. Click ignore or cancel.). You would then pop in your CD of a stock XP SP3. Lets say your CD is on the D drive. You then open a command prompt and type....

expand D:\i386\shell32.dl_ C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll

Then you would simply reboot and then delete the shell32.old.

In the rare instance that the update writes important data to the registry you would extract the update by using the /x switch. Look in the update folder for update_SP3GDR.inf. Note down what in the [Product.Add.Reg] section besides the standard entries of.....

[Product.Add.Reg]
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup", "LogLevel", 0x10001, 0
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%","ParentKeyName",0x00000000,"OperatingSystem"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%","ParentDisplayName",0x00000000,"%PARENT_DISPLAY_NAME%"
HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%,"Installed",0x10001,1
HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%,"Comments",0,%SP_TITLE%
HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%,"Backup Dir",0,""
HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%,"Fix Description",0,%SP_TITLE%
HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%,"Installed By",0,""
HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%,"Installed On",0,""
HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%,"Service Pack",0x10001,%SERVICE_PACK_NUMBER%
HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%,"Valid",0x10001,1
HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%\File 1\,"Flags",0,""
HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%\File 1\,"New File",0,""
HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%\File 1\,"New Link Date",0,""
HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%\File 1\,"Old Link Date",0,""
HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%,"ReleaseType",0,%SECURITY_UPDATE%
HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%,"RegistryLocation",0,"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP%SERVICE_PACK_NUMBER%\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%"
HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP%SERVICE_PACK_NUMBER%\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%,"Description",,%SP_TITLE%

Let's suppose I use the tools and integrate the add-ons for IE8 and WMP11 so I can slipstream them with nLite. What's to say that future IE8 or WMP11 updates won't require new add-ons or break XP?

Why would they require a new add-on? It's already on your system. WMP11 and IE8 are the last versions that will ever be released for XP.

Lets say you need to remove a slipstreamed update that contains shell32.dll.

How would I know this update added "shell32.dll?" All it says in Add/Remove Programs is KB12345678.

In the rare instance that the update writes important data to the registry you would extract the update by using the /x switch. Look in the update folder for update_SP3GDR.inf. Note down what in the [Product.Add.Reg] section besides the standard entries of.....

And then just delete the data the update changed in the Registry?

Why would they require a new add-on? It's already on your system. WMP11 and IE8 are the last versions that will ever be released for XP.

Because couldn't one of their updates cause a problem being integrated into the XP install disc, not on the live OS? Wouldn't it be safer to store WMP11 and IE8 and all their updates on a USB stick, instead of integrating them into the XP CD and having a possibility one might corrupt the XP CD? Also, why keep reburning the XP CD countless times when XP updates are still coming and not wait until 2014 so you can do all the work at once and test the XP CD just once, making sure it works with ALL XP, IE8, and WMP11 updates? Or, not integrating IE8 and WMP11 and their updates, and just copying their executables and updates from the USB stick to the OS target hard disk for installation?

Edited by vipejc

How would I know this update added "shell32.dll?" All it says in Add/Remove Programs is KB12345678.

You extract the update with the /x switch (EX: C:\WindowsXP-KB2481109-x86-ENU.exe /X) and look at the files in the SP3GDR folder.

Yes

I'll let someone else answer your last paragraph. I'm tired. Stop thinking an update is going to cause a problem.

You extract the update with the /x switch (EX: C:\WindowsXP-KB2481109-x86-ENU.exe /X) and look at the files in the SP3GDR folder.

Yes

I'll let someone else answer your last paragraph. I'm tired. Stop thinking an update is going to cause a problem.

All I'm saying is why do all this work here and there instead of all at once in 2014?

Edited by vipejc

Because most people will be installing before 2014. My main PC just died and I'll probably have to replace the mobo. I'll make an up to date XP CD now and use that for the re-installation.

Because most people will be installing before 2014. My main PC just died and I'll probably have to replace the mobo. I'll make an up to date XP CD now and use that for the re-installation.

I'd just use a stock XP SP3 CD and Windows Update. You could bring the system up to date in less than 45 minutes. Creative differences.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it's up. Let me know if you still cant reach it and I will upload it somewhere.

nm, looks like they are restructuring.

EDIT: Download from my site. It's back up. http://xdot.tk/

Edited by -X-