Integrating Windows Updates

vipejc

No, it does not cause any problems. Go to my page and use the UDC tool to download all the updates. Then just add them to the Hotfix, Add-ons and Update Packs section of nLite.

Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates

Note: I haven't done March yet because I'm trying to figure out something peculiar about KB2481109. For sure you will also need to add WindowsXP-KB2479943-x86-ENU.exe and the peculiar one is WindowsXP-KB2481109-x86-ENU.exe.

After you install Windows with all the updates, please report back on what Windows Updates shows as far as KB2481109 still being needed or whatever.

Edited by -X-

Wikipedia:

Adding patches to the install source is also another time saver. However, not all (Windows) patches can be applied in this fashion and one disadvantage is that if it is discovered that a certain patch is responsible for later problems, said patch cannot be removed without using an original, non-slipstreamed install CD.

Is an official Microsoft Windows XP Home with SP3 install disc considered an original, non-slipstreamed install CD?

X, I'm not downloading and installing all the XP Windows Updates until 2014, when XP Extended Support is scheduled to end. I wanted to learn how so I'm ready when that time comes.

Is an official Microsoft Windows XP Home with SP3 install disc considered an original, non-slipstreamed install CD?

Yes

X, I'm not downloading and installing all the XP Windows Updates until 2014, when XP Extended Support is scheduled to end.

Do you mean you don't plan on making the CD until 2014? I hope you are patching your live system monthly.

I wanted to learn how so I'm ready when that time comes.

I've explained how.

Yes

By official I mean the ISO is a copy of an official Windows XP Home with SP3 install disc. Still yes?

X, I'm not downloading and installing all the XP Windows Updates until 2014, when XP Extended Support is scheduled to end.

Do you mean you don't plan on making the CD until 2014? I hope you are patching your live system monthly.

I use Windows Updates once a year.

Edited by vipejc

Still yes.

Why only once a year? Patches for security vulnerabilities are released monthly or sometimes sooner. You could get hacked if you're not patched especially if you are using Internet Explorer. You can set up Automatic Updates if you don't feel like hassling with it manually.

Still yes.

Why only once a year? Patches for security vulnerabilities are released monthly or sometimes sooner. You could get hacked if you're not patched especially if you are using Internet Explorer. You can set up Automatic Updates if you don't feel like hassling with it manually.

Because some Windows' updates require a reboot, which is hard on hardware. Plus, I don't feel like it. There's less than a one percent chance of my system being hacked. I've been working this way since 2004 and using IE, and never had a problem.

Does UDC download all post-SP3 updates to present or only the High Priority? What's the differences between your UDC and jcarle's WUD?

High-priority. These are the ones that appear on Windows Updates main page.

WUD is a fine tool but if you blindly download everything the updates lists(UL) say, some don't work with nLite. Also the UL's are rarely up to date.

High-priority. These are the ones that appear on Windows Updates main page.

WUD is a fine tool but if you blindly download everything the updates lists(UL) say, some don't work with nLite. Also the UL's are rarely up to date.

Why only High-Priority Updates? In August 2014 you won't be able to download XP updates. What happens if you need to reinstall the OS and need Optional Updates? Is it not possible to integrate all post-SP3 XP Windows Updates into an install disc?

You will be able to download XP updates probably forever (not literally of course). Optional software like Windows Search and .NET frameworks? I have no interest in them. They are not really updates.

If you are talking about QFE (quick fix engineering) updates that haven't been fully tested, ryanvm.net has some updates packs I think.

You will be able to download XP updates probably forever (not literally of course).

I thought once Microsoft Extended Support for XP ends in 2014, XP users will no longer be able to download any XP updates from Windows Update? Or, am I misreading that, and it really means Microsoft won't produce anymore XP updates, but you can download the existing ones at any time?

Edited by vipejc

The second part of your question is correct.

So, could a Windows 9x user with a gold-version (no Service Packs) Windows 9x install CD visit Windows Update and the software would automatically find every update for that OS? Or, would they have to spend months manually finding and downloading them?

I don't mind doing the work. How do I manually find all the XP post-SP3 updates and integrate them into my XP install disc with nLite?

So, could a Windows 9x user with a gold-version (no Service Packs) Windows 9x install CD visit Windows Update and the software would automatically find every update for that OS?

Yes. Every high-priority update.

I don't mind doing the work. How do I manually find all the XP post-SP3 updates and integrate them into my XP install disc with nLite?

I've already explained how. You go to my page, download and run the UDC tool and add the resulting downloads to the Hotfix, Add-ons and Update Packs section of nLite. If you want IE8 also, you do what's written on my page.

I don't understand why you are having so much trouble with this. You have 2 threads going and your questions have been answered.

Perhaps I am missing something? Are you after the QFE, a.k.a hotfixes, updates also?

Edited by -X-

So, could a Windows 9x user with a gold-version (no Service Packs) Windows 9x install CD visit Windows Update and the software would automatically find every update for that OS?

Yes. Every high-priority update.

I've already explained how. You go to my page, download and run the UDC tool and add the resulting downloads to the Hotfix, Add-ons and Update Packs section of nLite. If you want IE8 also, you do what's written on my page.

I'm asking how I can manually find ALL post-SP3 updates for XP to date without assistance from your UDC tool.

Perhaps I am missing something? Are you after the QFE, a.k.a hotfixes, updates also?

I want ALL post-SP3 updates for XP to date, including high priority and optional.

Sorry for the confusion and appreciate your help.