Are you using Windows 9x or ME with modern hardware?

vipejc

Well, my 98 machine now is:

CPU: Pentium D820

MoBo: ASUS P5PE-VM

Mem: 1GB

GPU: Gigabyte (nvidia) 7600 GS AGP

HDD: 100 GiB PATA

Sound: Integrated SoundMAX 1888

^rloew

I try your Demo Multi-Core program and it dosn't work, watch this picture.

post-291521-0-36043200-1299972870_thumb.

I have a couple of the new 3TB Drives and have no problem using them or even booting from them.

The Seagate Go Flex 3TB Drive (USB) works fine in Windows with the Patches.

[somewhat off-topic]

@RLoew:

Which Seagate HDDs are actually big sectored (Advanced Format)? Or, putting it the other way, which are still using 512-bytes sectors?

Only those already manufactured? Which size sectors has a 1TB Barracuda LP? I once thought 4kiB sectors would be used just on 2TB+ HDDs, but it seems that's not the way things are. And what about Seagate SmartAlign? Is it any good?

[/somewhat off-topic]

post-134642-0-21772900-1299979418_thumb.]

Guest wsxedcrfv

A couple of years ago I tried to install win98se on this board. Everything worked fine except the sound card. I tried a Trident 4-D Wave and a Creative Labs Sound Blaster

PCI: model CT4740. Both tripped the Automatic Skip Driver when I rebooted and windows refused to load the drivers. I was hoping you found a card that worked or a way around this.

Well, now that I'm actually trying, I'm finding it somewhat difficult to fully install the Audigy2 board in the Asrock system. I'm running a program called ct2apxx.exe from the 5.12.05.522 whql driver package, and it's asking for Windows 98 base5.cab (what's it looking for?). Some parts of the board it can install drivers for (joystick, for example) but the install program eventually locks up the computer, and when I reboot I get (!) in device manager for "Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)". This might be related to the fact that I have a (!) beside a PCI Bus entry under System Devices (something about two different PCI.VXD's being reported by the system).

I have a couple of the new 3TB Drives and have no problem using them or even booting from them.

The Seagate Go Flex 3TB Drive (USB) works fine in Windows with the Patches.

[somewhat off-topic]

@RLoew:

Which Seagate HDDs are actually big sectored (Advanced Format)? Or, putting it the other way, which are still using 512-bytes sectors?

Only those already manufactured? Which size sectors has a 1TB Barracuda LP? I once thought 4kiB sectors would be used just on 2TB+ HDDs, but it seems that's not the way things are. And what about Seagate SmartAlign? Is it any good?

[/somewhat off-topic]

All Seagate SATA Drives I have seen, including the 3TB drive, use 512 Bytes Sectors Physically and Logically..

Certain lines of Western Digital Drives use 4KB Physical Sectors Internally but only expose 512 Byte Sectors Logically.

The Seagate Go-Flex 3TB USB Drives use a Bridge that maps 4KB Logical Sectors to the 512 Byte Sectors of the Enclosed SATA Drive.

My Software can handle any combination of Physical and Logical Sector sizes, and can emulate the Go-Flex's USB mapping.

@RFMaster: Did you install the VXD required for the MultiCore Demo to work?

@petekeller: I have ended up using USB Audio on the last three Computers I built. Audio and Video are the two areas that Windows 98 Support is unavailable for newer Motherboards.

I wouldn't worry about the Advanced Format hard disk for many years. WD knows it's a delicate decision that causes problems for legacy users (XP and below), and standard changes in this industry take a long time. But even if the Advanced Format hard disk does become the new hard disk standard, a jumper or sector-realign utility will allow us legacy users to use them.

I used the following:

Windows 98SE Install CD.

My TBPLUS Package for IDE and SATA.

My RAM Limitation Patch for 16GB of RAM, with /M Option for Gigabyte Ethernet Memory Issue

Patched Windows ME USB Driver Files.

USB2.0 Driver Files from NUSB.

RTL8111 Windows 98 Driver

Added NVIDIA 6200 GS Video Card with 77.72 Drivers. Internal VIdeo Disabled.

Added USB Audio Device. No Driver for Internal Device.

I must say, that I'm really impressed.

It means, it's possible to adopt more AM2+ (or even AM3) motherboards in that way?

Btw, what CPU you are using with Gigabyte mobo?

@petekeller: I have ended up using USB Audio on the last three Computers I built. Audio and Video are the two areas that Windows 98 Support is unavailable for newer Motherboards

Did you try a PCI or PCI-e card? What brand(s) of USB did you use?

I wouldn't worry about the Advanced Format hard disk for many years. WD knows it's a delicate decision that causes problems for legacy users (XP and below), and standard changes in this industry take a long time. But even if the Advanced Format hard disk does become the new hard disk standard, a jumper or sector-realign utility will allow us legacy users to use them.

My Partitioning tools can align Sector accesses to be compatable with "Advanced Format" for Windowx 9X. Western Digital provides a Partitioning tool for XP.

@rainyd: I installed an AMD Athlon X2 6000 Processor and used DDR2 RAM.

@Petekeller: I am using the built-in USB with Altec Lansing and other Headsets. Any Windows 9X Compatable PCI should work. I don't think there are any Windows 9x Drivers for PCI-E Audio cards.

^Rloew

Yes, i copy Democore.vxd to C:\Windows\System and add DEVICE=DEMOCORE.VXD under [386Enh]

I have attached a program to read your APIC Memory.

Run the program from Real DOS and capture it's output as follows:

APICDUMP >LOG

Post the results.

Apicdump.exe

@RFMaster

Based on further research I have attached another program to read your APIC MSR.

Run the program from Real DOS and capture it's output as follows:

APICMSR >LOG2

Post the results.

Apicmsr.exe

Edited by rloew

Ok, but could you be more specific because when I run the program Apicmsr.exe from the Real DOS

i can not start Demo.exe because it is Windows software.

Or have you thought that I put the command in autoexec.bat or somewhere to this Apicmsr.exe started

when the system starts???

:blink: No. AFAICS, you've got it all wrong, sorry! Apicdump.exe and Apicmsr.exe are diagnostic apps, intended to produce a text result each, to be posted here (zip and attach, please) or sent to RLoew by e-mail. You need to run each but once. They're intended to help him figure what's happening, so that he can hopefully fix it. They're *not* a magical solution to your issue, intended to be used on a permanent basis.

rloew said

<I am using the built-in USB with Altec Lansing and other Headsets.>

I suppose those are gaming headsets. I'm not a gamer and the sound from these USB cards with a basic C-Media chip is fine for my purposes.

The problem is they lack stereo mix and line-in. I think I found one on E-bay today that has these features.

< Any Windows 9X Compatable PCI should work.>

You would think so! Windows accepted the drivers on two different cards but refused to load them on the reboot.

I never heard of the Automatic Skip Driver until then! I've never found anyone who actually succeeded installing a PCI sound card

without HD audio on a motherboard with HD Audio.

< I don't think there are any Windows 9x Drivers for PCI-E Audio card>

I know. Some claim to have modded drivers for PCI-e 16x video cards. I was hoping there was some such thing for PCI-e sound card.

Anyway...I've just about given up on the 4Core Dual SATA2 board. I am very intrigued by your Gigabyte boards. Thanks for the response.

Edited by petekeller

rloew said

<I am using the built-in USB with Altec Lansing and other Headsets.>

I suppose those are gaming headsets. I'm not a gamer and the sound from these USB cards with a basic C-Media chip is fine for my purposes.

The problem is they lack stereo mix and line-in. I think I found one on E-bay today that has these features.

The Headset was just a cheap USB Headset. i am not a gamer, I just needed Audio.

< Any Windows 9X Compatable PCI should work.>

You would think so! Windows accepted the drivers on two different cards but refused to load them on the reboot.

I never heard of the Automatic Skip Driver until then! I've never found anyone who actually succeeded installing a PCI sound card

without HD audio on a motherboard with HD Audio.

Until now.

I just installed a CMI8738 4 Channel Sound Card and had no problems.

< I don't think there are any Windows 9x Drivers for PCI-E Audio card>

I know. Some claim to have modded drivers for PCI-e 16x video cards. I was hoping there was some such thing for PCI-e sound card.

Even unmodded Drivers can run a few PCI-E Video cards, only the INF file needs to be changed. Unfortunately Shutdown or stability problems occur with the ones I tested.

Anyway...I've just about given up on the 4Core Dual SATA2 board. I am very intrigued by your Gigabyte boards. Thanks for the response.

Which one?

Check the Ethernet Controller. It is one device where support varies from Motherboard to Motherboard.