System Restore causing PC to freeze

Sophy

I'll try to explain this as clearly as I am able.

I purchased and ran Captain Optimizer. After that there seems to be something amiss with System Restore.

I am able to set a restore point, but it takes forever and sometimes it will freeze my system. If I wait long enough my PC will come out of it.

I used to do other things while waiting for SR to open, and then while waiting for the restore point to set. Now I don't dare to do a thing because if I do I freeze up.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Vista Home Premium SP2 / Avast Internet Security 5 / WinPatrol / RoboForm / Soluto / Malwarebyes and SUPERAntiSpyware free versions to run on demand / Registry Commander / Captain Optimizer / Secunia PSI

I was so hoping to get some advice on this problem. Is there no one out there who can offer anything? Before going to bed last night I selected to run the disk scan. I don't know what the results were as this morning my login screen was showing. I also ran sfc /scannow yesterday and that was clean.

I dunno that much security software is bound to conflict SOMEWHERE. :S

I would personally grab a bootable scanner of some type and remove all of that stuff, take it offline and scan the s*** out of the drive from dos or pe environment.

Then run ccleaner and delete ALL previous sys restore points and make a new one.

After that I would just stick to 2 Maybe MS essentials and malwarebytes? (Has worked for me for awhile now and I am DEFINITELY NOT a safe surfer :P )

Captain Optimizer scans your system to detect processes and settings that slow your system down. It then initiates immediate corrective actions to optimize the system for improved performance. Relevant components are scanned, cleaned and tuned for greater speed, performance and overall experience. The result: A PC that runs like new again. Key Features: keeps your PC fresh & clean. Increases performance with powerful sub apps: Optimizer, System Cleaner, Memory Optimizer. A speedy solution for most common PC issues. Tune up your system settings to get the most out of your PC. Detect and eliminate duplicate files from your system. Customize and enhance windows with: Driver Updater, Startup Manager, Uninstall Manager. Backup important files and settings to restore them whenever required. Recover accidentally deleted files or lost data.
I'd say it's conflicting with Restore, just like Norton Goback (yuck!) would "hose" the OS (particularly WinME, which also uses System Restore). Best bet would be to use it, then "shut it down" (if possible) to allow for Restore Points. Take a look at what the software is actually doing (its logs, etc.) - betcha!

P.S. I find that it's "unsafe" to allow any program to "remove redundant files" as some software actually expects it to be in a different folder (or at least in the "path"). Besides, that's a rather "generic" description they give.

All the security programs don't run. I have the free versions of Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware which I try to open and run once a week. The only security program actively running is Avast IS. Everything else is opened and run on demand and I only have the 3, compared to your 2. I have the Malwarebytes because it is a little different than just a spyware scanner.

I can't even swear that Captain Optimize is responsible. I only know that after running it is when this started happening. This, too, I open and run on demand, along with Registry Commander.

Perhaps if I turn System Restore off, reboot and then turn it back on that will help some.

Thanks, everyone, for answering. I'm not an advanced user so guess I thought maybe there would be a simple answer.