win2k startup

Hello to everyone,glad your back,just got your e-mail the other day.I just purchased win2k pro.Great op sys.I have a Leadtek A170 Geforce4 64mb graphics board.Without loading the drivers,the logo screen with the progress bar acts normally.After I load the drivers the sceen mentioned flashes twice before proceeding.A minor annoyance but I was wondering if anyone else has this problem with any of the other Geforce cards.Also if I may ask another question? As with my win xp, I cannot get the refresh rate ubove 60hz to be flicker free.The monitor is a Viewsonic A-70..........................Thanks to the most useful site...................Zipp

click here to fix the refresh rate problem.

as far as the flickering goes, not too sure about that. mine does the same thing. although i'm using xp pro with a geforce3 ti 200 128mb ddr. i never paid any attention to it until you mentioned it.

:)

i read a letter in a magazine recently, omeone had a simlar problem with winXP. The magazine guys went to all the trouble of setting up two almost identical systems in the office, one did it, one didnt.

they decided that as it was only at boot up, to forget it as its not causing you problems using the pc.

id agree with that so long as it isnt slowing boot time down drastically, also the flicker bug might be the cause, fixing that may rid you of the boot problem, good luck!

"now it wouldnt happen if you bought ATI!"

Thanks to all for the replies.Elite these are silent flashes then the monitor clicks to change it's resolution.I called Leadtek and they didn't know(of course) what it was but they suggested that I download the latest Detonator drivers from Nvidia.I am considering doing just that.The card works fine other than the bug mentioned so it will depend on a coin toss..................Thanks....................Zipp

Funny thing FthrJack I have 2 ATI cards ,Rage Fury running on winxp and a Radeon 64mb Vivo running for now on win98se and I have'nt had a problem with either.What got me interested in the Nvidia card was it's price and TV out feature and also the overclocking utilities.As long as the flashes at boot up are the only problem I won't complain but I reserve that right lol........................Thanks again Zipp

strange.

i have an overclocked geforce2 GTS with XP Pro and im running my monitor slightly out of its range as its just a standard monitor at 85hz with no trouble but i also have the nVidea refresh rate fix which also sorts stuff out with games . sounds like a strange problem, cant help ya with that sorry bud.

• 3 months later...

Aiight, I got an eVGA GeForce 4 Ti4200, 128MB, w/VIVO.

I have used it with every Windows OS you can think

of.

In 2K Pro, Server, Advanced Server, it flickered. I reinstalled the drivers TWICE, and it worked.

My software came with a chipstet AGP driver remover, and display drivers. That helped me alot.

Even if you don't have an eVGA card, goto there site, find your card, and install their drivers.

Sounds weird, but it works.

:rolleyes: = eVGA Drivers

Actually zipp I have a Geforce 4 4200 (myvivio) Leadtek card and since my last reformat I dont even get that load screen with the bars on boot up. Flashes straight past it and flickers a slight blue just as it goes to the login screen. The flicker is so quick you hardly notice it unless your constantly watching the screen at boot. But overall my boot up time is quick as hell so Im happy not to have the bootup bars :)

I wouldnt worry about it unlees your getting some serious boot lag