LCD monitor going black after several seconds [Solved]

Wai_Wai

LCD monitor going black after several seconds

This is how the incident occurred.

A roommate used a towel to clean the back of the monitor, but he mistakenly loosed the power cable a bit (on the monitor), and so the monitor went off. Once replugged, the monitor acted weird.

Every time you switch on the monitor the screen is lit for several seconds. Then the screen will turn black (the power button is indicated on). You switch the button off and then on. The screen will show for several seconds and turn black again.

I tried to remove all cables and put them back. It doesn't work.

I tested the monitor in two computers with the same (miserable) result.

I used different cables too. Tried both D-SUB and DVI. No luck.

It's hard to believe the monitor went out of order after such clean-up. How could this happen?

Any pointer to the problem?

Edited by Wai_Wai

+1 on PuntoMX. and jaclaz.

I've fixed many a monitor with blown capacitor. Only way to make sure it's the capacitors and not the lights themselves is to totally rip it apart and visually check.

I would say 9/10 times it's either the backlights or capacitors that are bad. That unlucky 10th time it's usually a part of the circuit that is faulty or just died, like the 22" Dell I have. No bad caps, but I needed a resistor mod to keep a circuit below 2.8W in order to keep the unit running.

That unlucky 10th time it's usually a part of the circuit that is faulty or just died, like the 22" Dell I have. No bad caps, but I needed a resistor mod to keep a circuit below 2.8W in order to keep the unit running.

Interesting, so Dell does the same as HP. You know this fix will work for only some time do you?

• 2 weeks later...