Adobe Shockwave Player 11.5.9.620

I have 2 browsers, one being the older I.E6 and the newer which I run as default being Firefox 3.6.14

I have KernelEx installed as default mode.

Because of the installation error that windows 98 usually brings I used the tool finesse, which lets me install successfully the latest Adobe Shockwave player version 11.5.9.620, however when I go to check the version installed on Adobes web site http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/ it shows as the older version being 10.2r23 and yet when I look in my add/remove program list plus the Firefox plug-ins it shows as 11.5.9.620.

Now here is a strange thing, I un-installed all flash last night, then I installed flash player 10.2 plus the I.E version with no problems at all, however I keep some of the exe files in case of problems like these, so I hunted on my system for the 10.2r23 of shockwave and installed it, when I checked adobes web site it showed as 10.2r21, notice it says 1 instead of 3 at the end, but here is the wierd part, when I opened I.E to check adobe for the shockwave version it showed 10.2r23, I then went back to Firefox to check again, and this time it showed 10.2r23, so it looked like as soon as I asked I.E6 to view on adobe this seemed to alert Firefox to show 10.2r23 instead of 10.2r21

Why would this be? and why no matter what I do even using finesse will not let me visit adobe like it does for version 10 of shockwave as it reports that I have 10 even though I had earlier used finesse to install 11.5.9.620.

I have had problems like this with shockwave for a long time, and just wondered if anyone could lend a hand.

Just to let you know I installed the correct versions for each browser.

Install FineSSE in Win.ini, and see what happens.

I have added the line as described by jumper in the win.ini, and I will report back here.

Edited by frogman

I added the line in win.ini as jumper mentions in the flash 9 thread, and I executed the slim installer for shockwave 11.

It shows up in the Firefox plug-ins as shockwave director, but does not show when I visit the adobe site test for shockwave being that the animation remains blank.

So would you then say that although the installation said successful in actual face it isn't?

I often wonder if my Internet Explorer 6 has anything to do with all of this.

You know, your problem/s could be hardware related.

Here are requirements for Shockwave Player:

http://www.adobe.com/products/shockwaveplayer/productinfo/systemreqs/

The only thing that differs on my PC to that from that link is 512MB of RAM, as I only have 256 RAM installed on mine, but would that really make a difference to whether it reports correctly on adobes site?

And of course windows 98, but then I have K-EX installed as default.

Oh and mines is an Athon not Intel® Pentium® 4 processor.

Edited by frogman

If you want flash on 98, your going to be using a mozilla browser like Seamonkey or K-melon.

The installation I used was

flash 6,

flash MX 2004 ( flash maker program, with it's own instalation of flash )

Then I used flash 7 or 8?? I forget but I don't know if I used 9. I remember I downgraded the flash after

seeing the error messages in Youtube.

• 3 weeks later...

Because of the installation error that windows 98 usually brings I used the tool finesse, which lets me install successfully the latest Adobe Shockwave player version 11.5.9.620, however when I go to check the version installed on Adobes web site http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/ it shows as the older version being 10.2r23 and yet when I look in my add/remove program list plus the Firefox plug-ins it shows as 11.5.9.620.

The 10.2r23 version number should be for Adobe Shockwave Player only, not for Adobe Flash Player.

Latest version of Flash Player currently available is 10.2.153.1.

Now here is a strange thing, I un-installed all flash last night, then I installed flash player 10.2 plus the I.E version with no problems at all, however I keep some of the exe files in case of problems like these, so I hunted on my system for the 10.2r23 of shockwave and installed it, when I checked adobes web site it showed as 10.2r21, notice it says 1 instead of 3 at the end, but here is the wierd part, when I opened I.E to check adobe for the shockwave version it showed 10.2r23, I then went back to Firefox to check again, and this time it showed 10.2r23, so it looked like as soon as I asked I.E6 to view on adobe this seemed to alert Firefox to show 10.2r23 instead of 10.2r21

Why would this be? and why no matter what I do even using finesse will not let me visit adobe like it does for version 10 of shockwave as it reports that I have 10 even though I had earlier used finesse to install 11.5.9.620.

I think there's some confusion here. Flash Player and Shockwave Player are two different things.

The Adobe Shockwave Player 11 files should be installed into the \Windows\System\Adobe\Shockwave 11\ folder.

If you truly have Adobe Shockwave 10, those files should be installed into the \Windows\System\Macromedia\Shockwave 10\ folder.

As for Adobe Flash Player, those files are placed in the \Windows\System\Macromedia\Flash\ folder.

check these folders carefully, frogman, and see if you have the correct files.

Also, make sure you have removed/uninstalled Shockwave 10 first before installing Shockwave 11. Installing Shockwave 11 ontop of Shockwave 10 can cause version number confusion, which is why you're probably seeing different versions of Shockwave Player when visiting the Shockwave Player test page.

The Shockwave Player plugin file for Firefox should be called np32dsw.dll. Look for this file and check its version number.

For Flash Player, look for either flash.ocx, flash10.ocx for IE browsers OR npswf32.dll for non-IE browsers and check their version numbers.

BTW - to test the Adobe Flash Player plugin (not Adobe Shockwave Player), go to the following page:

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

AND be sure to have the GDI+ DLL file (gdiplus.dll) installed under win98se as Shockwave Player 11 needs GDI+ to work correctly.

Edited by erpdude8