Flash Player Update 10.2.152.32

I've used Firefox since version 1.0 and have been a big fan, but it's been painfully slow starting with versions 3.x on my older hardware. Opera is significantly faster.

The errors stopped after I uninstalled Adobe Flash Player 10 and reinstalled version 9. I may try installing version 10 on another system to see if the same error recurs. Still no idea why it's happening as others apparently have successfully used it.

Very strange, I wouldn't have thought that Adobe Flash would have anything to do with your browser functionality, unless it's the actual flash that you're having the issue with.

The errors stopped after I uninstalled Adobe Flash Player 10 and reinstalled version 9. I may try installing version 10 on another system to see if the same error recurs. Still no idea why it's happening as others apparently have successfully used it.

Flash cookies maybe? Read about them at www.flashtester.org and try deleting them. Also review the options selected in the flash control panel, only accessible trough the flash player itself, or via adobe's site. It's a longshot, but it never hurts to try. Maybe there's some cookie in your machine that Flash 10 interprets but 9 ignores, at the heart of your issue.

Thanks dencorso. I was not aware of them but I don't get the feeling they're the root cause of the problem. Still, I'll try it and see if it makes a difference. It appears to be an incompatibility or conflict between Opera and Flash Player 10, at least the versions I'm using. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is able to successfully use that version of Flash Player with Opera 10.63.

Edited by Prozactive

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks loblo. I have not had the time or energy to try it again. When I do so, I'll use the latest Flash Player version 10.2.159.1 just released by Adobe. I have to say that I'm quite surprised that I'm apparently the only one who's encountering these errors.

Guest wsxedcrfv

I have flash version 10,2,153,1 (why do they use comma's instead of periods?).

It works fine on both Firefox 2.0.0.20 and Opera 11.01Build 1190.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally loaded Adobe Flash Player version 10.2.159.1 on my desktop PC and it appears to work fine with Opera 10.63. However, it still causes Opera 10.63 to crash on my laptop as previously described, which is extremely puzzling since I've configured both systems almost identically. I even reloaded Opera on my laptop to make sure there weren't any corrupted Opera system files. I'm completely baffled why it works on my desktop PC and not my laptop. Obviously the hardware is different but I don't think that should be a problem. The systems also run different AV software but again I don't think that should matter.

Edited by Prozactive

Obviously the hardware is different but I don't think that should be a problem.

It may. Go to any flash content and right-click on it, then select "Settings" and disable Display hardware acceleration, on the set-up that's crashing. That may solve it. BTW, 10.3.181.14 is out, already.

Thanks dencorso. Subsequent to my post I did think about the fact that my laptop is quite RAM-limited and wondered if it met the minimum memory requirements of Flash Player 10. I checked and apparently it does, although not by much. I also wondered about its graphics processor (ATI Rage) but didn't find any indication that it was incompatible. The laptop also has Shockwave 10 installed which I don't believe is installed on my desktop PC but I'm not 100% sure of that and will need to check. Again, I'm not sure if this has any effect on the errors I'm experiencing.

Per your advice, I will try disabling hardware acceleration to see if it helps. The Opera errors pop up randomly on webpages that do not have any obvious Flash content (Facebook, etc.) generally followed by an Opera crash at some later time. I also did not realize that Adobe released yet *another* update to Flash Player. O.o It seems like a never-ending losing battle trying to patch all the security holes.

UPDATE: Well that failed miserably. I am unable to access any Flash content so I can't edit the settings. Opera immediately crashes when I try to do so.

Edited by Prozactive

Well I've completely given up trying to install Adobe Flash Player 10. It just will not work with Opera on my laptop for some reason, possibly due to hardware issues. The strange thing is, as I previously mentioned, it works fairly well on my desktop PC although with a few quirks that I've subsequently noticed (e.g., Opera tabs won't close and Opera temporarily freezes when playing Flash 10 content).

Edited by Prozactive

The systems also run different AV software but again I don't think that should matter.

Well I've completely given up trying to install Adobe Flash Player 10. It just will not work with Opera on my laptop for some reason, possibly due to hardware issues. The strange thing is, as I previously mentioned, it works fairly well on my desktop PC although with a few quirks that I've subsequently noticed (e.g., Opera tabs won't close and Opera temporarily freezes when playing Flash 10 content).

I only use 98SE offline these days and use W2k to go online with. Even so I have experienced the same symptoms you have described using Opera 11.10 and Shockwave Flash 10.1 on W2k. Some flash content causes my virus scanner (Symantec) to scan it furiously causing temporary freezes and gobbling up practically all the rest of the 512MB of RAM.

The only way I can get out of it at times is to open task manager and shut Opera down. Sometimes I can restart Opera and "continue from last time" and it will work ok but I always close unnecessary tabs before they are fully reloaded.

I suspect the AV on your laptop might also be partly to blame for your problem.

• 6 months later...

An update on this topic. After installing Opera 11.51/11.52 on my laptop as discussed in the KernelEx thread, I decided to try installing the latest version (11.1.102.55) of Adobe Flash Player again and was shocked to find that it now successfully works without errors. I completely gave up on Flash Player 10.x with Opera 10.63 after repeated consistent crashes and errors as discussed earlier in this thread. I don't know whether the now-successful installation is a result of Opera 11.5x, Flash Player 11.x, or a combination of the two but I'm very pleased. I should note that the successful installation was achieved with KernelEx 4.5.1, not the latest version 4.5.2.

Edited by Prozactive