SATA Driver integration problem

ctgface

We have 3 Laptops. One of me, another are of my brothers. 3 Laptops are difference in brands (Acer, Dell, HP). We would like to use XP Professional. But problem is my XP Setup doesn’t continue for SATA problem. Searching google I found Msfn help. I already downloaded some SATA drivers from msfn link.I can also add it in my XP CD with Nlite (Reading msfn forum).

My question is how much drivers or which brand drivers I’ll add to work setup process properly in my Laptop(different brands). I want to use this XP CD for all Laptops. I’ve read the posts on sata drivers integration here. But I’m not clear still about my question. I’m new here. So I’m sorry for any wrong.

@ ctgface:

First of all: It is no problem to get the original Windows XP (with SP2 or SP3) installed onto all of your laptops, unless the SATA Controllers have been set to "AHCI" or "RAID" mode within the BIOS.

Now to your question: As X already has written, the tool nLite is able to integrate as many different SATA drivers into the XP image as you want. But that does not automaticly mean, that you will be able to get the nLited XP installed onto all different SATA systems. A wrong SATA driver may give you a BSOD shortly after the beginning of the XP installation.

That is why I recommend you to check, which SATA drivers your 3 laptops really need, and to integrate just these drivers. The more SATA drivers you integrate the more you risk a BSOD, when you are starting the real OS installation.

If you want to create an AIO-CD with a big variety of included SATA drivers, you better should use the DriverPacks.net method (>LINK<).

Regards

Fernando

BTW, and JFYI a pretty much interesting new approach to install XP from .iso on USB device has been developed (and is in an advanced testing phase):

and:

http://sites.google.com/site/rmprepusb/tutorials/install-xp-from-an-iso

the "advantage" (if any) is that with this approach you can have a "vanilla" (or plainly slipstreamed to SP1, 2 or 3) XP .iso and have as many "F6 floppy" images as the different AHCI/SATA you need to install.

From time to time it happens that someone posts about a company policy (or whatever) that seemingly does not allow a "modified .iso" and of course Commercial use of nlite is NOT allowed.

The method of course need the setup to be attended.

Many laptops do not have an option to set the internal SATA to "IDE emulation" mode, if those can, you can always post-install the SATA driver, an example is given here:

jaclaz

Thanks all for kind responses. Your explanation and given links are very useful. I’ve known much more.

I’m very sorry for my weak knowledge. I’m not clear about “BSOD”. What is the difference among AHCI, SATA and RAID? I didn’t find any sata driver pack in http://driverpacks.net/downloads . Can you give me DELL, ACER, HP sata driver link or sata driver packs link?

-X-']

If you are asking if you can add drivers for the different laptops to the same CD the answer is yes.

Fernando 1']

I recommend you to check, which SATA drivers your 3 laptops really need, and to integrate just these drivers. If you want to create an AIO-CD with a big variety of included SATA drivers, you better should use the DriverPacks.net method.

jaclaz ']

Many laptops do not have an option to set the internal SATA to "IDE emulation" mode.

Very good advices.

What is the difference among AHCI, SATA and RAID?
SATA hdd's can be managed by 3 different modes: "IDE", "AHCI" or "RAID". Not all systems do fiully support all 3 Modes.

If your SATA hdd is running in "IDE" Mode, no special SATA driver has to be loaded or integrated, because the generic XP in-box IDe driver is able to detect and to manage the SATA hdd.

So there is only a need for a special SATA driver, if the SATA hdd is running in "AHCI" or in "RAID" Mode.

I didn't find any sata driver pack in http://driverpacks.net/downloads .
They are within the Mass Storage Driverpack.
Can you give me DELL, ACER, HP sata driver link or sata driver packs link?
None of the pc and notebook manufacturers are developing and offering own drivers. All SATA drivers are made by the manufacturers of the Southbridge chipsets, which is integrated into the mainboard. So the choice of the correct SATA driver doesn't depend on DELL, Acer, HP etc., but on the Southbridge chipset of the special system.

Nevertheless you may find a suitable SATA driver for your special laptop at the Support pages of your laptop manufactiurer, but these drivers are made by other companies and may be already outdated.

Regards

Fernando

Thanks, Thanks and Thanks awfully Fernando 1. Very fine, helpful and friendly answer really you've given.

They are within the Mass Storage Driverpack.
What you want is "Mass Storage" drivers.

I've decided to add 'Mass Storage Driverpack'. I think it'll be better for me. Best regards.

Edited by ctgface

Just to prevent a new problem:

You have to use the tool BASE for DriverPacks instead of nLite.

Regards

Fernando

Very useful instructions.

You are really great.Thanks.