slipstream sp3

esmo

I am totally new to nlite, and am trying to slipstream sp3 x86 using my install disk which already has sp1 and sp2. My currently installed xp includes sp3 which I added when it became available. I have downloaded sp3 from several sources, but nlite does not seem to recognize them. Apparently they are .cab files which nlite doesn't seem to like. How do I overcome this problem? Incidentally, I have a SATA drive which uses a Silicon Image SiI 3x12 controller, because my mother board does not have SATA connections. This seems to load before windows loads, so I don't think it will be a problem, Do you have any experience with this? Thanks

Thanks for the prompt reply and the welcome. That is the source I used. The downloads I got are called Windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe. They have the exe extension but they react like .cab files. Do you know of any other source I can use? esmo

I don't know what you mean that it reacts like a cab file but you should try integrating it manually. The command for that is C:\Windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe /integrate:C:\MyXPSource where "C:\Windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe" is the path to the service pack and "C:\MyXPSource" is the path to your XP source.

They have the exe extension but they react like .cab files.

Supposing you use the appropriate part of the program (1st option, integrate Service Pack), after selecting the source and/or working folder, point nLite to the EXE file (SP3) and tell us what error you get.

Edited by Ponch

The reason I am trying to create a disk including sp3 is because I have some minor issues with my xppro sp3 installation, and my service technician suggested a disk like this could solve the problems. He suggested I try nlite because he has heard of problems arising from using the command approach. He said there might be some difficulty making a disk bootable, and that it might not recognize my serial number. When I tried using nlite, it did not recognize that i had a copy of the sp3 download on my computer. I could not get further than the first step of copying the contents of my install disk to a folder on my computer. I did not get any error messages, just nothing happened when I tried to proceed. I prefer to use nlite because it includes other actions which I might find useful. Failing that I will go the command line route if it will produce a fully working disk.

I could not get further than the first step of copying the contents of my install disk to a folder on my computer. I did not get any error messages, just nothing happened when I tried to proceed.

What screen are you stuck on exactly ? Why do you say "nothing happens" and "it behaves like cab files" ? Can you actually point to that exe? Does nLite ignore it ? or go to next step ? or crash ? or close properly after that ?

A screen comes up asking to scroll to the location of the sp3 installation I downloaded from MS. It is on my desktop. nlite recognizes some of the files I have on my desktop, but does not recognize the sp3 install disk named Windowxkp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe. The file is 316 MB in size. As far as nlite is concerned, this file does not exist. This leaves me with a window open waiting for input which is not available, and nothing happens. The only recourse I have is to shut the program down.

You could try moving the SP3 update file to another location on your hard disk for nLite to use. The desktop path may simply be too long for nLite to parse.

Try moving it to the root of drive C, for example.

Also, it seems that you've either made a typo here...

named Windowxkp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe

...or you renamed the file. Do not rename the file—nLite may not find it by another name.

Edited by 5eraph

1 - Run nLite

2 - Point nLite to your CD as Source

3 - Point nLite to the SP3.EXE (select it) - that means Click on the EXE then say "OK"

(note - nLite is just "browsing", not "selecting" - you have to select that single file to be processed/"opened" by nLite)

4 - proceed to select either "make the ISO" and/or "burn CD" (I believe that two options are there...)

(IOW, "do it"/Next/Process/whatever)

The filesize and name "jive" (IOW, correct).

Apparently, you downloaded to DeskTop instead of (usually) My Documents. Additionally, you have all of the Default Explorer settings, hence not seeing the EXE (maybe?). You've misunderstood, that's all. BTW, all of this info is in the nLite documentation - I suggest you read it for more integration and settings options. Recommend don't remove anything until you get the hang.

Ponch: my desktop where the downloaded sp3 install disk is stored contains an assortment of files, not just .exe. There are also .rar, .pdf, .doc, and some just for storage without any extension. nlite finds other files, but does not find the sp3 install disk.

Submix8c: I run nlite and I copy the contents of my xp install disk to a new file. I click on next and nlite tells me to browse to where the sp3 install disk was saved. This is on my desktop, and nlite does not recognize it. I don't know how to say this more clearly, The option of selecting the sp3 install disk does not exist. It is not there when searching with nlite, but it is on my desktop. I therefore can't select it or point it anywhere.