[SOLVED] problem with Vlite 1.2 and Win7 SP1 (MSDN)

tistou77

I updated my vanilla Win 7 with SP1 using RT7lite and then clicking proceed and then finish once it was finished each step. I allowed it time to cleanup and close naturally by itself.

Then I followed all the steps from post 105 again.

I fired up Gimagex, went to the apply tab

Set source to = d:\s1\sources\install.wim

Destination = d:s2

Selected my image (2 for Home Premium) and then Applied.

Then went to the Capture tab.

Set s2 as my mount path (same folder as in apply tab, with mounted folders present)

Set my destination to d:\s1\sources\install2.wim

Set name and description to: Windows 7 HOMEPREMIUM

And then compression to Maximum.

Then created the new install2.wim.

Once that's finished, I close Gimagex, and when I try to reopen the install2.wim, I get the error that Gimagex cannot mount the image. I want to mount the image to apply the wim-tweak.

I redid the whole slipstream process from the beginning but still get this error :(

Any ideas?

You must remove install.wim and rename install2.wim as "install.wim"!

It's better to save first original install.wim file before!

Hi.

I did that also each time, but it wont open the captured wim :(

Does it matter if you have WAIK installed or not for Gimagex?

I have WAIK for 7 installed, since I needed that for slipstreaming SP1 via RT7lite.

Thx

Edited by theKramer

WAIK 1.1 for Vista installed and using GImageX.exe!

Choose the version you need: 32-bit or 64-bit.

Set GImageX.exe inside: C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\ or C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\

Because GImageX.exe needs files inside this folder to work properly!!

Launch GImageX.exe to use it and CLOSE the current open folder window!

*Workaround: with imagex.exe or GImageX.exe, we need to create a new temp folder each time we used a temp folder to Mount /Unmount an image!

If an error occurs, use: Dism /Cleanup-Wim

to remove an image not correctly mounted.

You can use also this reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WIMMount\Mounted Images]

*Edit: post updated about WAIK 1.1 for Vista!

Edited by myselfidem

You can read how to do, here:

http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__957787 (post #105)

That's what I have been following. To me its not 100% clear whether I should use the same mount folder both times, or a different mount folder for the capture. This is what I just wanted to double check....

From post #105

when process is finished go "Capture" tab

Source: empty folder path (Mount in the example)

The part that makes it slightly ambiguous for me is: "Source: empty folder path"

Edited by theKramer

To me it looks like I should use the same mount folder both times, but I just wanted to double check....

NO!

The temp folder "mount" (example given) is used ONE time and not both times!

When you use Apply tab with GImageX.exe, the image selected is mounted inside the temp folder "mount".

GImageX is still open, and not closed.

After when you use Capture tab, the image selected is captured.

When it's done, GImageX is closed!

Move your original install.wim inside the location folder on another folder (like this if an error occurs, you can restart the process!)

Rename install2.wim as install.wim inside the location (example: C:\Win7\sources\install2.wim)

Restart the PC like explained!

How to remove the temp folder "mount" after the image is captured?

http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__957910

Edited by myselfidem

I made a complete test successfully with Windows 7 SP1 MSDN! :thumbup

1) Installed WAIK 1.1 for Vista, and using GImageX.exe inside: C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\x86\

2) Using Apply tab and Capture tab with GImageX.exe

3) Restart the PC

4) Using vLite 1.2 (installed also vLite 1.1.6 Final to have wimfltr folder and files) with my Last Session.ini customized

5) To make "lite": Same process and method as explained here (because my Windows 7 x86 SP1 is with French language):

http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__970230

*I'm guessing the trouble (Windows could not find the digital signature for Winload.exe - [ and installation fails])

was to use WAIK 3.0 for Windows 7 first to Mount /Unmount Commit the image and after to use WAIK 1.1 for Vista.

Using ONLY WAIK 1.1 for Vista works fine, and the workaround given by bapt WORKS! B)

http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__957787

Edited by myselfidem

It works for me with WAIK 1.1.

For whatever reason, which I dont understand, Gimagex wont work with WAIK 2.0 and WAIK 3.0 on my PC.

I am applying the dism batch file as I type.....

P.S. Thanks myselfidem for your help and patience ;)

Edited by theKramer

It works for me with WAIK 1.1.

For whatever reason, which I dont understand, Gimagex wont work with WAIK 2.0 and WAIK 3.0 on my PC.

Thanks ;)

Using GImageX.exe or imagex.exe with WAIK 1.1 for Vista, I see I can keep the same temp folder to mount /unmount images.

But using WAIK 3.0, I need to change every time the temp folder after mounting /unmounting an image and always close the the current folder window if I use GImageX.exe, and if I don't use

the "workaround" below.

Workaround!

Extract:

You must install the WIMMount filter before you can mount an image. Disable System Restore when running Windows image filter. Windows imaging filter may fail when copying files into the mount point. On Windows Server 2003,

running the xcopy command against a Windows image mounted from DVD or CD may cause system failure. Do not run the xcopy command during the mount.

http://technet.micro...302(WS.10).aspx

Works whitout errors, with all WAIK, if I use the workaround and disabling Antivirus!

*Edit: Remember if you use another WAIK to move GImagex.exe and to set a new time inside the location = C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\ (or .\amd64).

Edited by myselfidem

Indeed, I have not yet to find how "unmount"

I use "take ownership" on each folder and delete the files after

Hello! :rolleyes:

To cleanup the temp folder (mount) more easily, After using Apply and Capture with GImageX.exe, I made a batch file: Cleanup.cmd (en-US/fr-FR)!

Also available for any temp folder for images x86 or amd64!

Enjoy!

*Edit: NEW Batch files works fine and faster now (en-US/fr-FR)

Cleanup.zip(fr-FR/en-US)

Edited by myselfidem

• 4 weeks later...

In your note #3 you said you got a few small errors. Would you share them and how you dealt with them? Thanks in advance.

Here is the way I got it to werk, NOW THIS IS NOT FOR EVERYONE SO TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

I replaced in Vlite's root folder wimgapi.dll with win 7's wimgapi.dll from WAIK tools ( WAIK tools folder -> x86 folder\wimgapi.dll )( have to download the iso from MS ) and install WAIK to get these files .

You will need to uninstall the Vista wimfltr that is loaded on your PC ( if you have ran vlite after installing it ) as the files from WAIK 7 are not the same , not sure how to do it manually as I have the InstWimFltr.exe by JFK from a winbuilder project that I use, that will uninstall the wimfltr of Vista's ( yep fixed that winbuilder project too with WAIK 7 Files )

Also a reboot when uninstalling these files wont hurt, after removal of the wimfltr of Vista's just to clear any memory that might be latched onto these files.

From WAIK, I also copied in the x86 and (amd64) wimmount.sys replacing wimfltr.sys by renaming wimmount.sys to wimfltr.sys respectfully in both x86 and x64 folders so yes delete wimfltr.sys in both folders first then copy in the win 7 files :).

I didnt change the wimfltr.inf at all, I left it as vlite installed it, I just replaced the wimfltr.sys in Vlite's folder with wimmount.sys from WAIK and renaming it to wimfltr.. easy peasy

what you end up with is Vlite using win 7 dll files, it werkd for me, but I got a error or 2 at first, then they went away, I made 4 builds back to back with the SP1 x64 and everything was fine and the iso installs fine too.

NOTE: even uninstalling Vlite from Add | Remove Programs DOES NOT UNINSTALL the Vista wimfltr!

NOTE 2: After running Vlite on a win 7 moddin win 7 have you ever encountered that DISM fails( Pre SP1 iso files that is )??

NOTE 3: I got a few small errors after doing the above from Vlite, but after a few errors passed all was good hence the TRY IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Anyways maybe that is enough for some more knowledgeable person to figure out a better werk around than what I have done.

Vlite does the job I want quicker than RTLite, RTLite is way to slow and seems like it wants to just freeze up the whole time I run it,.. a scalpel over a hammer any day lol , this is my werk around for that :)

Just had to sign up to say thank you for solving this issue as I happened to become a victim of it today and I was really taking a big risk without testing it first on a virtual machine (it's not the first time it happens) and I've been spending the whole day trying to get Windows 7 SP1 integrated slipstreamed installed and I've faced all kinds of annoying issues with my older windows slipstream copies (I don't always name the CDs/DVDs very well :P) so been chasing after those and then I get probs accepting the HDD partition accept the partition as OS disk and what not so had to use a Maxtor HDD (for some reason I've always been able to rely on Maxtors when every1 keeps swearing they are the most unrealiable HDDs out there) I've stopped using to empty it completely and it finally let me install Vista where I'd have to take care of the Win 7 SP1 MSDN slipstream issues which was an easy task as I happened to stumble across this useful thread. So here I am and have just confirmed the install working in VMware so kudos to you guys for making my VERY BAD day better (you wouldn't have wanted to be with me in the same room, trust me, I've raged so hard... :P).

Edited by RPGWiZaRD

NEW batch file to remove temp folder containing an mounted image. It's not needed to restart the computre now using WAIK for Windows 7:

CleanUpTemp.zip (fr-FR/en-US)

http://www.mediafire.com/?z6v9uj6x97tg8

Regards

*EDit: Using WAIK SP1 for Vista it's needed to restart the computer to remove the temp folder using Cleanup.cmd!

Edited by myselfidem