[SOLVED] problem with Vlite 1.2 and Win7 SP1 (MSDN)

tistou77

Super, we get back to my first post.

I did not understand, how to make Win7 SP1 compatible with the vLite using Gimagex. I read that it is necessary to change the date of some files and folders and I read the instructions how to modify the instal.wim with Gimagex and the question is how to combine these instructions together.

instructions for Gimagex are given in post # 105 ;)

not necessary to change the date of some files and folders

bapt

Thank you very much for replying to my question and supplying your preset. :thumbup

1. So, how do you integrate Windows update? Is it via DISM?

2. As for integrating drivers, do you use RT 7 Lite to integrate drivers?

3. I understand your highly recommended solution stating that first use Gimagex, integrate the updates, then vLite and finally RT 7 Lite. For all of this steps, we do not need to install WAIK for Windows Vista and WAIK for Windows 7, right? I only have to insert vista vimfltr and wimgapi.dll in vLite folder.

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by alvinkhorfire

bapt

Thank you very much for replying to my question and supplying your preset. :thumbup

1. So, how do you integrate Windows update? Is it via DISM?

2. As for integrating drivers, do you use RT 7 Lite to integrate drivers?

3. I understand your highly recommended solution stating that first use Gimagex, integrate the updates, then vLite and finally RT 7 Lite. For all of this steps, we do not need to install WAIK for Windows Vista and WAIK for Windows 7, right? I only have to insert vista vimfltr and wimgapi.dll in vLite folder.

Thanks again for your help.

1) yes I use dism

2) Indeed, it is with RT 7lite I integrate the drivers

3) it's right ;)

@bapt

Thank you so much for your explanation. You are very helpful. :thumbup

For me, after using RT 7 Lite as suggested in your steps, I would suggest executing the batch removal file via Gimage to remove redundant fonts. This batch file originates from dead0's guide. That way, we can achieve further slim down of the image.

So, you remove winsxs via RT 7 Lite. Can you install Windows updates to your Windows?

Everything looks good except windows update - updates some reports that have not been successfully installed - for example internet explorer 9.

Do you integrate the msu version of Internet Explorer 9 into your image before using vLite? Do you remove winsxs?

Edited by alvinkhorfire

@ vincentvega007

I would suggest that you integrate the msu version of IE9 into your image. The direct link for IE9 are as follow:

Win7

x86: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=210145

x64: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=210143

I mean, you really do not have to wait after Windows installation, to use Windows Update to install IE9.

As for some updates failed to be installed, I believe that the updates tried to update some components you have removed via vLite, and thus failed. I do encounter such case for my slimmed-down Windows 7 SP1. There is nothing much you can do, rather than rebuild a new image by integrating all newer updates before using vLite.

Edited by alvinkhorfire

@vincentvega007

Sorry for confusion. I was not questioning your ability of slimming down Windows. Anyone using a customized Windows 7 SP1 with IE 9 integrated, should not be installing IE9, because it has been integrated. That is why I found it weird that you have to install IE 9, as if you did not integrate IE 9 at all.

Everything looks good except windows update - updates some reports that have not been successfully installed - for example internet explorer 9.

Do you integrate the msu version of Internet Explorer 9 into your image before using vLite? Do you remove winsxs?

No I don´t. No I don´t, only removed some components in vLite.

Attach your Last Session.ini, please!

@myselfidem

Off topic a bit, you could choose to post a direct link to the post. On the upper right corner of each post, is the post number, such as #153 in this post. Right click the post number and copy the direct link of the post. That way, your post would contain the direct link to the indicated post, instead of having other readers manually scrolling down the page to find the quoted post.

Anyway, I notice that you always try to answer many inquires in this forum and try to be as helpful as you can. It is a definitely commendable effort from you. Keep up the good work. :thumbup

Hi.

After I create the install2.wim and rename it to install.wim, restart and the try to mount the recently created install.wim, I get an error from Gimagex that says:

ERROR: Unable to mount image

ERROR: The system cannot find the file specified

This a SP1'd image of Windows Home Premium.

Thx.

Edited by theKramer

I syspreped windows 7 sp1 with all updates and some programs like FireFox, Adobe Reader and other stuff. The wim image is now about 4GB in size, but I cant vlite it. Even the apply/capture workaround doesnt work.

Any suggestions?