[SOLVED] problem with Vlite 1.2 and Win7 SP1 (MSDN)

tistou77

I tryed again and indicated fields with "Windows 7 Professional",then just make ISO in vLite,nothing else and I got this error now

th_error2.jpg

I didnt entered cd-key in vLite,I only checked "Make ISO".

When i click OK its going to screen "Install now" and then i again recive this error.

Any idea?

This becoming very very frustrating.

if you have the ultimate msdn iso you can not use pro as a trial serial is not provided. u have to use ultimate

Yes,I have Ultimate Iso,thank you very much :)

I will try later with ultimate edition.

@xpJohnson

No,i have used just "Make Iso",all other boxes was unchecked.

It seem that i must put in sig "Sorry for my bad english" :D

EDIT:Thanks very much to all,now its working,finally :)

Edited by Veki(CRO)

i just did another test & no errors after vlite

u could try this way:

1) ensure waik 2.0 is installed

2) in cmd prompt, go to Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64 and execute wimmountinstall /install

3) copy wimmount.sys from above folder to Program Files (x86)\vLite\wimfltr\x64

4) rename wimfltr.sys (this is the vista version) to something else such as wimfltr2.sys as you will need it later

5) rename the copied wimmount.sys to wimfltr.sys

6) right click wimfltr.inf Program Files (x86)\vLite\wimfltr\x64 folder to install

7) using gimagex or imagex, mount install.wim and then dismount wim with commit changes. this should take a while around 20 minutes depending on pc. u should only need to do this once to a wim unless u start from afresh

8) go back to the vlite wimfltr folder and rename wimfltr2.sys to wimfltr.sys (also rename wimfltr.sys back to wimmount.sys)

9) right click wimfltr.inf and install again. this will copy the vista version back to system32\drivers

10) use vlite

u may need to switch between the 2 filters when using imagex and vlite

For Step 7, GImageX is used with Seven ImageX. For Step 10, vLite is used with Vista wimfltr. Okay, I get that.

Questions:

For Step 8, do I have to install WAIK 1.1 (Vista) or just have to rename wimfltr2.sys? Other than that, if I want to install WAIK 1.1 (Vista), do I have to uninstall WAIK 2 (Windows 7) first? In other words, can I keep both WAIKs installed without one affecting another?

Edited by alvinkhorfire

the whole renaming thing doesnt need to be done in the first place. browse to windows\system32\drivers and both should be there. wimmount and wimfltr. both are used in this case. AFAIK you can not have both installed. I tried installing waik2 when 1.1 was there and the install told me to remove the other first. No need to have both installed, you just need the imagex and filters from them. hope that answered your questions

i just did another test & no errors after vlite

u could try this way:

1) ensure waik 2.0 is installed

2) in cmd prompt, go to Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64 and execute wimmountinstall /install

3) copy wimmount.sys from above folder to Program Files (x86)\vLite\wimfltr\x64

4) rename wimfltr.sys (this is the vista version) to something else such as wimfltr2.sys as you will need it later

5) rename the copied wimmount.sys to wimfltr.sys

6) right click wimfltr.inf Program Files (x86)\vLite\wimfltr\x64 folder to install

7) using gimagex or imagex, mount install.wim and then dismount wim with commit changes. this should take a while around 20 minutes depending on pc. u should only need to do this once to a wim unless u start from afresh

8) go back to the vlite wimfltr folder and rename wimfltr2.sys to wimfltr.sys (also rename wimfltr.sys back to wimmount.sys)

9) right click wimfltr.inf and install again. this will copy the vista version back to system32\drivers

10) use vlite

u may need to switch between the 2 filters when using imagex and vlite

For Step 7, GImageX is used with Seven ImageX. For Step 10, vLite is used with Vista wimfltr. Okay, I get that.

Questions:

For Step 8, do I have to install WAIK 1.1 (Vista) or just have to rename wimfltr2.sys? Other than that, if I want to install WAIK 1.1 (Vista), do I have to uninstall WAIK 2 (Windows 7) first? In other words, can I keep both WAIKs installed without one affecting another?

u can not have both waiks installed. i recommend to install both not together though, to copy the imagex folder to another folder and then uninstall as the full waik installations are not required as in post #93

Edited by dead0

I tested three times already with following few steps :

1. use GIMAGEX with install.wim , tabs APPLY, then CAPTURE of desired image; i placed wimgapi.dll for Win7 (downloaded from win a win7 PE project) in Gimagex folder and that was enough ;

2. use VLITE in "original state" - vista vimfltr and wimgapi.dll copied in the wellknown folders.

No need switching between wimfltr an winmount ! No need WAIK (I never hadn't hve that kit in my computer just wimgapi.dll for GIMAGEX).

Vlite and GIMAGEX don't use common files, because they running in separated environments. Believe me, wimfltr.sys of Vista was ONLY vimfltr used in entire operation, and ONLY for vlite. Who needs winmount.sys ?!

That's all, 2 simple steps, and I installed without any error 3 various images from Windows 7 SP1 AIO kit.

And to be shure, I worked with fresh instaled OS every time..

I tested three times already with following few steps :

1. use GIMAGEX with install.wim , tabs APPLY, then CAPTURE of desired image; i placed wimgapi.dll for Win7 (downloaded from win a win7 PE project) in Gimagex folder and that was enough ;

2. use VLITE in "original state" - vista vimfltr and wimgapi.dll copied in the wellknown folders.

No need switching between wimfltr an winmount ! No need WAIK (I never hadn't hve that kit in my computer just wimgapi.dll for GIMAGEX).

Vlite and GIMAGEX don't use common files, because they running in separated environments. Believe me, wimfltr.sys of Vista was ONLY vimfltr used in entire operation, and ONLY for vlite. Who needs winmount.sys ?!

That's all, 2 simple steps, and I installed without any error 3 various images from Windows 7 SP1 AIO kit.

And to be shure, I worked with fresh instaled OS every time..

switching between filters is no longer required. u just need to make sure when using seven imagex, waik 2.0 wim filter is in use

Edited by dead0

Speaking about imagex, dead0, I agree with you. But GIMAGEX don't need wimfltr (maybe because somehow is integrated his own in exe or in dll files). That is the reason I prefer GIMAGEX : shortest way to success :rolleyes: . But,, anyway, by your effort, the case is solved.

EDIT .

In fact, wimmount is used for mount/unmount operations, like Microsoft help says :

Copy the following files into the same folder as gimagex.exe:

wimgapi.dll

wimmount.inf

wimmount.sys

WimMountInstall.exe

wimserv.exe

imagex.exe (optional, but handy if you also want to use the orginal command-line version of imagex)

You should now be able to run gimagex.exe from this installation folder to capture and apply WIM files. If you also wish to be able to mount WIM files then you need to also install the wimmount.sys driver by running WimMountInstall.exe.

Edited by romantiq

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Argh, I can't get this to work for me. Have been using RT7 Lite but I found that it edits the registry permissions to give 'Users' full control over hkcr and most of hklm which is extremely dodgy.

I want vLite working again :( It used to work perfectly (for my needs) with Windows 7 without SP1 but it just crashes now after clicking apply.

I've tried dead0's suggestion but it didn't work for me.

Can anyone offer some suggestions please?

Edited by nickster

I've managed to run vLite on a Windows 7 SP1 image without error but I had to omit 'Component' modification in order for it to complete. I managed to integrate drivers add tweaks, but I would really like to remove languages.

I can do it with RT7 Lite but doing so changes registry permissions to potentially dangerous settings so I would rather use vLite if possible.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this please?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, i have tested this and it works with vLite.

But since i want to use both vLite and RT 7 Lite, then what should i use first?

Should i first use RT 7 Lite, then GImageX with you're steps and then vLite?

Let me know how i have to go forward.

Me, I use first Gimagex then Vlite and I finally rt7lite

if we use first rt7lite is an error message launching Vlite about the boot (boot-optimized by rt7lite and not "compatible" with vLite)

bapt

I do not really understand what you meant with the bolded part.

As recommended, I used Gimagex to create a modified wim of Windows 7 SP1 (MSDN). Subsequently, I used RT 7 Lite to integrate Windows updates and remove components. However, after this step, if I use vLite to slim down this image, vLite will stop responding. Is this what you meant by error message launching vLite?

You suggested to use vLite after using GImagex, but vLite cannot be used to integrate Windows updates to the image. Moreover, we should not remove components prior to integrating updates to the image. By your method "I use first Gimagex then Vlite and I finally rt7lite", could you explain when the time to integrate updates is?

It would be very helpful if you can share your RT 7 Lite and vLite preset, so that I would know components that should be removed by respective software.

Thank you very much. :)

Edited by alvinkhorfire

Ok, i have tested this and it works with vLite.

But since i want to use both vLite and RT 7 Lite, then what should i use first?

Should i first use RT 7 Lite, then GImageX with you're steps and then vLite?

Let me know how i have to go forward.

Me, I use first Gimagex then Vlite and I finally rt7lite

if we use first rt7lite is an error message launching Vlite about the boot (boot-optimized by rt7lite and not "compatible" with vLite)

bapt

I do not really understand what you meant with the bolded part.

As recommended, I used Gimagex to create a modified wim of Windows 7 SP1 (MSDN). Subsequently, I used RT 7 Lite to integrate Windows updates and remove components. However, after this step, if I use vLite to slim down this image, vLite will stop responding. Is this what you meant by error message launching vLite?

You suggested to use vLite after using GImagex, but vLite cannot be used to integrate Windows updates to the image. Moreover, we should not remove components prior to integrating updates to the image. By your method "I use first Gimagex then Vlite and I finally rt7lite", could you explain when the time to integrate updates is?

It would be very helpful if you can share your RT 7 Lite and vLite preset, so that I would know components that should be removed by respective software.

Thank you very much. :)

answered to your MP ;)

My RT 7 Lite and vLite preset

Vlite.ini

RT 7lite.inf