[SOLVED] problem with Vlite 1.2 and Win7 SP1 (MSDN)

tistou77

Here is the way I got it to werk, NOW THIS IS NOT FOR EVERYONE SO TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

I replaced in Vlite's root folder wimgapi.dll with win 7's wimgapi.dll from WAIK tools ( WAIK tools folder -> x86 folder\wimgapi.dll )( have to download the iso from MS ) and install WAIK to get these files .

You will need to uninstall the Vista wimfltr that is loaded on your PC ( if you have ran vlite after installing it ) as the files from WAIK 7 are not the same , not sure how to do it manually as I have the InstWimFltr.exe by JFK from a winbuilder project that I use, that will uninstall the wimfltr of Vista's ( yep fixed that winbuilder project too with WAIK 7 Files )

Also a reboot when uninstalling these files wont hurt, after removal of the wimfltr of Vista's just to clear any memory that might be latched onto these files.

From WAIK, I also copied in the x86 and (amd64) wimmount.sys replacing wimfltr.sys by renaming wimmount.sys to wimfltr.sys respectfully in both x86 and x64 folders so yes delete wimfltr.sys in both folders first then copy in the win 7 files :).

I didnt change the wimfltr.inf at all, I left it as vlite installed it, I just replaced the wimfltr.sys in Vlite's folder with wimmount.sys from WAIK and renaming it to wimfltr.. easy peasy

what you end up with is Vlite using win 7 dll files, it werkd for me, but I got a error or 2 at first, then they went away, I made 4 builds back to back with the SP1 x64 and everything was fine and the iso installs fine too.

NOTE: even uninstalling Vlite from Add | Remove Programs DOES NOT UNINSTALL the Vista wimfltr!

NOTE 2: After running Vlite on a win 7 moddin win 7 have you ever encountered that DISM fails( Pre SP1 iso files that is )??

NOTE 3: I got a few small errors after doing the above from Vlite, but after a few errors passed all was good hence the TRY IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Anyways maybe that is enough for some more knowledgeable person to figure out a better werk around than what I have done.

Vlite does the job I want quicker than RTLite, RTLite is way to slow and seems like it wants to just freeze up the whole time I run it,.. a scalpel over a hammer any day lol , this is my werk around for that :)

thank you for this feedback ;)

can you put the files/dll (x86/x64) substitution in the attachments (archive)?

I don't understand English very well, if you could make a "tutorial"to indicate which files to replace

thank you very much ;)

Edited by bapt

I downloaded and installed the WAIK for Windows 7 (WAIK3)

on C:\Program Files (x86)\vLite\wimfltr, I copied the x86 and x64 wimmount.sys in their respective files, deleted the wimfltr.sys and renamed wimmount.sys in wimfltr.sys

on C:\Program Files (x86)\vLite, I copied the x86 wimgapi.dll of WAIK

I uninstalled/reinstalled wimfltr with InstWimFltr (of Win7PE_SE)

during the process, Vlite closes by itself, while cleaning (after the removal of components)

what did I miss something?

thanks ;)

EDIT: I also tried putting the WimFltr.sys of WAIK (6.1 7600.16385) in C:\Windows\System32\drivers but without success, same error (vLite closes)

I need help!!

Edited by bapt

I downloaded and installed the WAIK for Windows 7 (WAIK3)

on C:\Program Files (x86)\vLite\wimfltr, I copied the x86 and x64 wimmount.sys in their respective files, deleted the wimfltr.sys and renamed wimmount.sys in wimfltr.sys

on C:\Program Files (x86)\vLite, I copied the x86 wimgapi.dll of WAIK

I uninstalled/reinstalled wimfltr with InstWimFltr (of Win7PE_SE)

during the process, Vlite closes by itself, while cleaning (after the removal of components)

what did I miss something?

thanks ;)

EDIT: I also tried putting the WimFltr.sys of WAIK (6.1 7600.16385) in C:\Windows\System32\drivers but without success, same error (vLite closes)

I need help!!

I got the same thing too with it just closing out by itself on that same spot, I had to unmount the folder in C:\Users\<Your_User_Name>\AppData\Local\Temp\vsTemp19 because of Vlite not finishing its job ( crashing ) and leaving mounted files behind..

May help to do a dism /cleanup-wim after unmounting if that is the case and then a reboot to clear any memory that is holding info, I had like 4 errors total then Vlite just did its thing as usual, and has since, its getting past the few errors is were its the trouble some part.

Edited by monkie53

then, there is always Vlite that closes by itself, with a command dism,i unmounting install.wim and I run Vlite, then I can finish the process,

but some components that I deleted are still present (after installing 7, for example, I disabled UAC, but I Always padlock on some files, I deleted file and printer sharing (Server) but it is always present)

is what it'll have a solution to make it compatible Vlite with 7 sp1?

Well after using Vlite with the win 7 dll's I think I have found a much simplier way to get the files to werk with the original Vlite..

Here is the short story..

After running Vlite on these new SP1 MSDN iso files we get corrupted files, with using the win 7 dll's its possible to run Vlite and it will work, then again more issues than good with this, ( trial and error here )..

SO I looked at a RTLited iso I had after Vlite had failed I thought well wont hurt to run it through Vlite,.. yea JUST to see what happens...

Well to my amazement, it didnt get corrupted!!

Ok, so I was like this is good, I then started looking into what why who, all those things.

The only thing I could find that had any kind of offset was date/time of the folders/files inside the install.wim .....

Here I thought, ok what if I took my untouched iso files and mounted the version I needed ( Ultimate ) and changed the date/time on the windows and winsxs folders.. So I did.

It was a kinda long process to wait for the takeown to run on 5.52GB of winsxs folders/files but it was worth it, I then changed the date/time back to, yep ya guessed it, July 13 2009 for the WIndows and winsxs folder.

unmounted commiting changes, ran it thru Vlite and test install went flawlessly using the default Vlite files for Vista..

So what does this mean, I have no darn clue, but changing the date/time on the windows and winsxs folder was all I needed, I tested this on the other version in my x64 to see if it was just a fluke and I spent all last night testing and it werks for all versions for x64

x86 not so sure about, but surly there is some sort of werk around if x86 is effected too.

Simply put - mount the version you need and takeown of the entire winsxs folder and after that has ran and you know own that folder just use a app to change the date/time of the windows and winsxs folder to the July 13 2009 for Last Accessed, Date Created, and Date Modified the time can be whatever ya prefer.

Also you may want to make a copy of the folder of the source files after the unmount/commit so this way you have a fresh files to work with after testing it in Vlite ( new fresh clean files unmodded )

So if you have used my silly and crazy method above just un do it by making sure you uninstall the modded wimfltr.inf with the InstWimFltr.exe from JFK removing the Vlite you are currently using ( to get rid of all those files etc.. ) making sure to reboot after the uninstall of these modded files. then install the 1.2 version of Vlite.

then do the simple - mount - takeown - change date/time on windows folder and winsxs ( time here about 15 minutes ~ ) - unmount/commit - run the results thru Vlite ( original ) - test in virtual box etc..

Hope this werks better than the crazy modded Vlite files like it has for me ( no issues at all with Vlite Now YaY )

If anyone tries it, lets hear about it

Edited by monkie53

I wish I tell that your - everyone - solution solved my problem, but my "lite" installation of W7 SP1 vlited fails - after first restart of installation - with a blank screen, with white text, telling me that : "Windows fails to start" with error code 0xc0000428, "Windows cannot verify digital signature of file : C:\Windows\System32\winload.exe", and inviting me to reboot with Windows 7 repair disc. In fact, i tried many times to install.

BUT, if SP1 is slipstreamed in original kit - with original 07/13/09 files (i found that kind of kit in a Legolash release) - w7 vlited installation works without any problem !!! In fact i applied that solution in my computer and works even today. Seems like 11/20/2010 kit have a compatibility problem (in vlite I see 3 patches in that kit, and vlite label that kit "Windows 7 with Service Pack 1", ... in 07/13/2009 I can see just SP1 patch and no reffrerence to SP1 in the very first screen after launching application.

how to change the date and time of the Windows and Winsxs folder?

when using vLite, we did not have time to make this change?

if you mount the image before using Vlite date is July 13, 2009 and 8:20 p.m.

how can we do?

thanks ;)

EDIT: I compared the dates/times (creation of file and date modified)

after using Vlite modded and true Vlite and that the same (et also Rt7lite)

I don't know what to do :huh:

Edited by bapt

Bapt, your image is based to original 07/13/2009 kit (I vlited this kit with no problems - see my post ...) so you dont need to modify the date. Date modification maybe useful for the "11/20/2010 SP1 kit". Btw, I used Total Commander for that task (submenu Change Attributes in Files menu).

Indeed, if I integrate SP1 to Windows 7 ISO, Vlite works fine

if I use Windows 7 SP1, there are problems with Vlite

what is the difference between a Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 7 with sp1 integrated

just the SP1 Update in Windows 7 sp1?

and I still do not understand the history to change the date and time ^ ^

named "07/13/2009 kit", the one that have SP1 slipstreamed. Vlite works perfect with that image.

what do I have to rename in 07/13/2009 Kit (with windows 7 sp1 MSDN?)

I watched with a Windows 7 and sp1 integrated

date of install.wim (example) is the January 17, 2011 and no problems with Vlite

I do not know what to Modify

thanks ;)

EDIT:

for the windows folder

creation date: 13 July 2009

modifiaction date: February 23, 2011

same for the winsxs folder

Edited by bapt

Dates of install.wim or boot wim are not relevant, is the date of release creation (depends of the creator) , but the rest of files date is 11/20/2010 when SP1 MSDN was released. Setup files, bootmgr and many other files are different (not just by date) between images and I think that vlite have problems with newest SP1 files.

Dates of install.wim or boot wim are not relevant, is the date of release creation (depends of the creator) , but the rest of files date is 11/20/2010 when SP1 MSDN was released. Setup files, bootmgr and many other files are different (not just by date) between images and I think that vlite have problems with newest SP1 files.

and what needs to be changed then?

for Windows sp1 MSDN works with Vlite

that's what I do not understand :unsure:

thank you very much ;)

Sorry for my english too :) (I am romanian) ... My work with Windows 7 is a little bit complex, because I use "7elite32" method for size reduction (vlite + some batches, another topic in this forum). This metod worked fine with original W7 kit, but in W7SP1 case my problem is the poor size reduction applied to original W7 kit+SP1. So I have tried MSDN SP1 kit and - surprize - vlited image don't work ! Windows cannot start after the first reboot :(. Too shame because the image and installation size both are very small, much smaller than image obtained with W7 original+SP1. I am sure that vlite must be "adapted" to the MSDN kit and therefore I believe that replacing wimfltr and wimgapi is seemed a good ideea.