BatchPatcher Downloader

Glenn9999

When should we expect version 0.09 to fix those problems i mentioned beforehand

It's coming. I got most of the basic tests I could get done on the pre-requisite detections that were mentioned in recent posts of this thread, but took a little while in testing (setting up XP VMs of various service packs, mainly, as well as identifying requirements). I've been working tonight in trying to identify and fix a few bugs. Then I want to work on the documentation and see if I can make it nicer before release.

As for testing, for those that are interested (0.09 should indicate problems if these are not done), things used are:

1) The main requirement for BatchPatcher Downloader is Windows Update Agent (WUA). I found this is not installed on any service pack level of XP (unmodified, nothing installed), and probably is the case on Vista and Seven as well. Since the app uses Windows Update to find the patch information and the URLs to download them from, the app is pretty much useless without WUA.

2) The app uses MSXML to read an XML file to get the download link for WUA for a specific OS. 0.08 used MSXML 6.0 to do this, but as was indicated, 0.09 was changed to use MSXML 3.0, which is installed along with WUA.

3) The app uses WinHTTP which is included in WUA.

4) The XML file mentioned above is contained within a CAB file that is downloaded. The API for that exists on most systems since Windows 98 or thereabouts, so if there is a problem there it's with your OS.

5) Windows Update Agent installs a service called "Automatic Updates" or "wuauserv". Most disable this usually because they do not use Windows Update, or wish to not use Automatic Updates. One thing I did learn in chasing down pre-requisites & errors is that it is for the entire Windows Update functionality and not just "Automatic Updates". Kinda misnamed.

So to put it in short terms:

1) A reasonably up-to-date Windows Update Agent needs to be installed.

2) "wuauserv" needs to be enabled and started. While I can do that with code (and disable it), it would likely be perceived as a security risk so I just warned about it.

3) BatchPatcher Downloader only uses the "scan" functionality of Windows Update and doesn't "download" or "install" any updates through Windows Update.

Windows Installer and BITS are good for full functionality of everything (especially Windows Installer, I know updates complain about that not being installed when you try to run them). But a good general rule is that if you can't hit Windows Update and scan for updates, then this app won't work either. This is because the pre-requisites for both are identical.

Hope that helps until the new version comes along (with some better documentation on this hopefully).

Edited by Glenn9999

Here is a newer version of the BatchPatcher Downloader. Much of what was done was to try to address the things that have been brought up recently in this thread. Hopefully they have been solved, if not, they can be worked on until they are solved.

Change log is below.

Changes from 0.08 BETA

------------------------------------

1. MSXML 6 was used, which is likely not on all systems. Compilation changed to use MSXML3 matching what is distributed with Windows Update Agent.

2. Check for pre-requisites and warn if not present. These pre-requisites have been identified and will be included in documentation.

3. File extension identification made a little more non-specific and thorough (Fixed? Can't test on Vista or 7 for the issue described in the MSFN forum post)

4. Driver items are shown if applicable device is connected. Code fixed so driver entries are effectively removed.

5. "Get URL List" changed to "Get Update List" to be more generically accurate and less confusing (the other label is technically accurate for the purposes of this program but can be confusing).

6. Check and report/handle all possible errors outside of the app's direct control which require reporting.

7. More thorough and hopefully better documentation as contained in the accompanying CHM file, which includes "minimum requirements".

8. A couple of under-the-hood change that relates to WinHTTP and downloading files.

9. Application is now identified in Windows Update, and will be listed in the WindowsUpdate.Log clearly.

Hope there isn't any problems, but if there are please let me know here. Also any constructive suggestions are welcome as well.

Edited by Glenn9999

Still cant download updates like these ones

2011-07-12          Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2533623)
Listing of File URLs:
Description:
Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
----------------------------------------------------------------

2011-07-12 Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2529073)
Listing of File URLs:
Description:
Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

2011-07-12 Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2555917)
Security Bulletin IDs: MS11-054
Listing of File URLs:
Description:
A security issue has been identified that could allow an authenticated local attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

2011-07-12 Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2507938)
Security Bulletin IDs: MS11-056
Listing of File URLs:
Description:
A security issue has been identified that could allow an authenticated local attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

Very interesting program.

I've been playing with "breaking out" information from the WindowsUpdate.log for downloading the needed files that my system has installed.

I've added to it a "watcher" program (autoit) that saves the basic info during the hotfix updates (IE windows update).

I'm just trying to get the hotfixes so I can have an updated unattended install. Over the last years I've come up with my own Windows Unattended Install programs. One to do a network install of windows. The other is run during the windows installation and installs drivers depending on hardware, hotfixes, etc.

your program is very interesting. I've played with it a bit, and will continue to do so.

After getting into the WindowsUpdate.log I have many question; that is if you are interesting in just talking about these things we are doing.

my environment:

WinXP Home & Pro

Win7 HomePro & Pro

--- now on VirtualBox till I get my install program working on win7. Then will install win7 on my system as a dual boot.

Thanks,

Joe

3. File extension identification made a little more non-specific and thorough (Fixed? Can't test on Vista or 7 for the issue described in the MSFN forum post)

Still cant download updates like these ones

As stated, I can't test on Vista or 7 because I don't have access to it to develop on. But it looks like the logging feature would be a good one to include it in the next version (0.10)

After getting into the WindowsUpdate.log I have many question; that is if you are interesting in just talking about these things we are doing.

Sure, if I can answer anything, feel free to ask. But I may not know the answers either.

I'm sure ths will be a handy tool as soon as the bugs get worked out, below are mine.

I duplicated the AVs, and removed them here. This should hopefully be fixed in the next revision.

• 2 weeks later...

New revision.

Changes Since 0.09

---------------

1. I got the AVs to disappear. At least on my end.

2. I added the logging function. It should put a file named "BATDOWNLOADER.LOG" into your Windows directory, which will display everything that the program is finding when it scans. Hopefully I can see this listing for other systems on these "I can't download patches for these things" posts so I can address them (or find out that it won't work, etc).

A quick example of what you should see in this file, and what I would need to see in order to troubleshoot those kind of errors.

2011-07-12 Security Update for Windows XP (KB2507938)
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/secu/2011/05/windowsxp-kb2507938-x86-enu_5568319a9f23638b28306ec6c79f14f1c35c7414.exe
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/secu/2011/05/windowsxp-kb2507938-x86-express-enu_0f3b3933b0ccdab98a530770662d6b4068dda74d.cab
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/secu/2011/05/windowsxp-kb2507938-x86-enu_ce16888cb16108a3d418a6014acea2b126c6de8b.psf

Edited by Glenn9999

• 2 weeks later...

New Revision

Changes Since 0.10 Beta

-----------------------------------

1. File check menu added. This allows saving and checking of SHA-1 values for a folder. As well, it allows files with SHA-1 values in their names to be renamed so the values are removed.

2. Bookmarks file changed from INI format to XML format. Please change and update any added bookmarks accordingly.

3. Documentation updated.

Changes Since 0.11 Beta

------------------------------------

1. Check file now saves relative path instead of exact path. Now you should be able to move the file along with the structure below it and have it still work.

Edited by Glenn9999

Glenn9999 Please if it possible to look as to why your program does not download updates in Win 7 (x64) it searches them but can't download. This program would save many people by downloading updates for later use. i hope you will my problem consideration. see my attached files

Please note that am not talking of language packs. language packs can be downloaded.

See the Batchdownloader.log attached as rar file

09 Aug 11 updates win 7.Txt

WindowsUpdate log.rar

batdownloader Log.rar

Edited by centi50

Please if it possible to look as to why your program does not download updates in Win 7 (x64) it searches them but can't download.

You should have a file in your Windows directory named BATDOWNLOADER.LOG. Could I see that? Thanks.

i have edited my post and attached the batchdownloader.log. see post #41

Okay, now that I got to see what is going on...

It seems for OS specific updates, Vista and Seven are serving CAB files only through Windows Update. Again Microsoft doesn't keep anything uniform (I've never noticed anything consistent with patch installs). Now, all operating systems are served CAB files, since that's how Windows Update works, but others are served other files as well given the need.

For example, Windows XP:

2011-08-09 Security Update for Windows XP (KB2567680)
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/secu/2011/07/windowsxp-kb2567680-x86-enu_ae4f8a155c19138586f182c92bb87f0bdb3e09a5.exe (BPD chooses this to download)
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/secu/2011/07/windowsxp-kb2567680-x86-express-enu_2e396f50eb1f13f6e91c306aba81548f1f996eee.cab
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/secu/2011/07/windowsxp-kb2567680-x86-enu_0336760bc590b43c9e39ddca835234f2a8b92c73.psf

compared to yours:

2011-08-09 Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2567680)
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/secu/2011/07/windows6.1-kb2567680-x64_ad40775fb58909a17f7050817b684d624bccd688.cab
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/secu/2011/07/windows6.1-kb2567680-x64-express_d178f45ae039cbd15f53a49f6ba038bdd433a157.cab
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/secu/2011/07/windows6.1-kb2567680-x64_3b0755f485116f8734925f49b2d7c749cb7c1546.psf

Now from what I read, Vista and Seven serve CAB files on offline install as well. The MSU file for this update contains the exact same CAB file as the first link along with some informational files. As I understand it, the install process copies the CAB data to "SoftwareDistribution" and then calls the Windows Update Installer (same routine used if you used automatic updates or Windows Update web site to install it).

Now, for Windows versions > 6.0, I can use the CAB extension (along with maybe filtering out the ones that say "express" in them somewhere) instead of the MSU extension I'm looking for now and these files would show up. But I don't know if you could do anything with it if you got the file, so someone else would have to fill me in on that.

Sorry if that's not an ideal answer, but that seems to be what is going on here.

but does that mean guys with win 7 system would not be able to use this program. or you'll be looking into ways of making it happen

Like I said, I don't know anything about win7 administration to know if you could do anything with those CAB files like what is in the first link. The best I could do is enable those to be shown in the list so it'll be downloaded. After that, I really can't say.