BatchPatcher Downloader

Glenn9999

(Changed title, thread has gone beyond my questions to sharing this app I've been working on)

I've been working on downloading offline updates and have just about gotten where I want to go with the project. The only other thing that confuses me a little is locating some updated things that seem to be laying outside of what Windows/Microsoft Update presents which gets updated. I'm looking to automate that.

For example:
1) Microsoft Security Essentials definition updates show up in Microsoft Update, *but* they are delta/difference files which don't do too well if you want to offline update a fresh copy of MSE. That's fine to a point, but if you wanted the full offline update you would have to download it. I do have two links (32-bit - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=87342&clcid=0x409 64-bit - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=87341&clcid=0x409 ), but does the latest version always show up there? What does the 0x409 mean? Does that change, and for what reason?

2) Windows Update Agent doesn't ever show up in the site results, but gets updated. I know what they say about downloading the CAB to get the URL, but I have a link like the ones above for this. Same question: Would I always find the most updated version there? Probably the only way to check for a new version I guess is to get the CAB file and process it?

Also, are there any other files like this that I'm not thinking of?

Outside of that, what are PSF files and why would I want them?

BatDownloaderv100.zip

Edited by Glenn9999

What does the clcid=0x409 mean? Does that change, and for what reason?

That is the locale/language code. 0x409 = United States, English.

does the latest version always show up there?

If it's anything like similar links I've seen, the answer should be "yes." But I can't tell you for certain in this case since I don't use MSE.

For the Windows Update Agent I usually check the download links at KB949104. The latest so far can be found at KB982010, but the Windows Update website and the Automatic Update mechanism do not update machines to this version yet.

Edited by 5eraph

That is the locale/language code. 0x409 = United States, English.

Thanks. I wasn't used to seeing the number in hex. Usually, Microsoft uses decimal notation (US English = 1033). I got that one figured out, and should be able to automate this part.

but the Windows Update website and the Automatic Update mechanism do not update machines to this version yet.

Probably just a special version to fix the specific problem? Although, the file I got from 982010 is the one I have installed. Looks like, though, that I could check for WU_E_SELFUPDATE_REQUIRED and fire up the link I have on hand (x86 one at least) if it happens. But then again, I have it as a manual process anyway (the user has to click on it), so that might not matter. I need to figure out how to uninstall WUA in order to test this (or get a very old version and use /WUFORCE? ), though.

Edit: For those that want to know, the links I have for WUA are:

x86 - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=43264

Thanks for the help! Any other constructive thoughts are always welcome!

Edited by Glenn9999

Seems to work well for me too on XPx64. The only suggestion I can presently offer is to consider adding a "Working" indicator of some sort. On first run I had begun to think that the program had frozen—it had taken about 15-20 seconds to complete.

The only suggestion I can presently offer is to consider adding a "Working" indicator of some sort. On first run I had begun to think that the program had frozen—it had taken about 15-20 seconds to complete.

Definitely going on the list. Microsoft doesn't provide a progress indicator in Windows Update (i.e. 25% complete) for search operations. I'll probably just move the progress bar on the wait cycle. Personally I know it's searching when the controls are disabled, but good to do it :)

A bare .exe? What does it do, what's the licence, can we see the source? :)

Meant to get documentation in the text, but didn't. The documentation is in Help/About, though. Probably can make a CHM if it gets complex enough.

1) It queries Windows Update (like the site and automatic updates does) and locates the updates listed there. But instead of doing the normal Windows Update install thing (which uses the CAB links generally), it downloads the URLs indicated there to disk as the user indicates.

2) Same as the Batch Patcher thing. As long as you don't mess with the EXE itself, I don't care where or how you use it. But as the docs say, no guarantees, etc. Since it's a work in progress at the moment (especially since I don't know if Vista or 7 will choke on it yet), I'd rather not have large scale distribution, at least not until it's completed. This program basically has the same intention and reason as Batch Patcher does for me. A portable way to perform small scale automation of the installation of patches with a minimum of trouble. Part of the reason I put it here at this point is so I can get good constructive suggestions like written above.

3) At this point, source is kind of pointless since I've been working on it for a few months and changing a number of things. But probably eventually once I'm sure everything is reasonably stable I can share the whole WUAPI library code I have.

Edited by Glenn9999

The /download_to or /download_cache option of WuInstall (http://www.wuinstall.com) does about the same, download_to copies from the internal cache, download_cache uses the URLs as you do.

Trial version can be downloaded from there, maybe you are interested in comparing results.

Your question about the psf-Files: we found that they are not neccessary for the updates to be installed, so WuInstall skips them

The /download_to or /download_cache option of WuInstall (http://www.wuinstall.com) does about the same, download_to copies from the internal cache, download_cache uses the URLs as you do.

Trial version can be downloaded from there, maybe you are interested in comparing results.

Thanks for the tip. I had a look at the program, it works well. I like the unattended/automate functionality of it, and was planning on doing that with what I posted (as Batch Patcher is). I wasn't previously aware of it, so it'll be a good reference point. The other program packages I was aware of have numerous problems and drawbacks for my purposes, so part of making things for my personal use is addressing those (along with learning about stuff, I pretty well got the WUAPI functionality worked out). As any hobbyist project I do, I almost always share if I think someone else has interest, and this likely does.

As for functionality, there is one thing I have yet to figure out from using Windows Update directly (or the offine scanner file) and will likely try to figure that out before I call my WUAPI code done: How to find out what patches are deprecated by newer ones. I'm sure that can be figured out when the time comes.

Your question about the psf-Files: we found that they are not neccessary for the updates to be installed, so WuInstall skips them

I gathered in research that CAB files are used by the Windows Update Site and PSF files are used by WSUS. I know about the WU site, but I don't know enough about WSUS to know whether downloading those files separately would be an interesting option or not.

• 3 weeks later...

For those who are interested, I did an update of the file downloader I posted earlier. Posted below is version 0.05 beta.

Changes from 0.04 beta

----------------------------

1) Finished out the Special Downloads Section. Windows Update Agent now downloads according to the proscribed Microsoft manner and should always produce the latest version of the updater.

2) You can get the currently installed Windows Update Agent version in the Help submenu.

3) Per suggestion, now the progress bar moves while the program retrieves the Windows Update List.

4) Cleaned up a number of things.

Edited by Glenn9999

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are interested, I did an update of the file downloader I posted earlier. Posted below is version 0.06 beta.

Changes from 0.05 beta

1) Moved the Windows Update Agent version listing to the About & documentation menu.

2) Added more detailed data including URLs to the data list function.

3) Added Security Bulletin to the report data and detail data (For example KB2483614 is security bulletin MS11-017).

4) Gave the project the unofficial name of BatchPatcher Downloader, for lack of a better name. Several places now reflect this. An icon will be generated soon as well as a name change of the executable.

5) Added initial functionality of Bookmarks or URL downloads accessible through the menu. These are read from the file GETNEWSTUFF.INI, which a sample should be included and the format obvious. Changes within the program will come. In addition, the WSUS Offline Scanner download was moved to the BookMarks section.

Edited by Glenn9999

• 1 month later...

0.07 beta.

--------------

Changed code to use WinHTTP instead of WinInet. Should be a little more versatile by what I've gathered.

Edited by Glenn9999

• 5 weeks later...

I revised the downloader. I got one or two feature ideas left and then will just try to bug fix and finish it up.

Changes from 0.07 beta

1) Bookmark editor menu added.

2) Cleaned up a number of things.

3) A specific icon was generated for the executable as well as a name change.

Edited by Glenn9999

• 3 weeks later...

How do you start scanning your system for missing updates. Please give guide

When you run it, click the "Get URL List" button. It should pop up what updates are missing. Click the "Installed" box if you want it to show you what has been installed when you click "Get URL List".

FYI, As for Windows Vista or 7, I haven't been able to test it there, so I don't know what kind of results you would get there. Feel free to try it though.

Edited by Glenn9999