WPI not waiting for Office 2010 to finish

I have WPI installing Office 2010 and it fires off the install perfectly. The only problem is WPI thinks the install is done after about 10 seconds even though Office is still working away. Have others had this problem? Is there a solution? Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't realize I wasn't subscribed to responses.

I'm using the Office Customization Tool, found by running setup.exe /admin on the setup file in the Office install directory, to create a .msp file instructing Office to install silently.

So, the WPI command I then use is: "%root%\Apps\Microsoft Office\2010\setup.exe"

It actually runs and installs correctly but WPI moves on to the next item in the list after about 5 seconds instead of waiting the 5 minutes it takes to install.

Thanks for your help.

Here's the whole config file.

// WPI Config 8.0.0
//
// User defined options
//

// Configurations tab
CheckOnLoad='default';
Configurations=[];
ShowMultiDefault=true;
// ---
SortOrder=['Apps','Office','Post Install','Apps (Optional)'];

//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Your programs here...
//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pn=1;
prog[pn]=['Actual Multiple Monitors'];
uid[pn]=['AMM'];
dflt[pn]=['yes'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
bit64[pn]=['yes'];
cat[pn]=['Apps'];
cmds[pn]=['"%root%\\Apps\\ActualMultipleMonitors\\amm.exe" /sp- /silent /norestart','"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Actual Multiple Monitors\\ActualMultipleMonitorsCenter.exe" r "Benchmark Plus" AMM30FE247FFA6DBABFE2684C02CD7E8359EF','"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Actual Multiple Monitors\\ActualMultipleMonitorsCenter.exe" s+ -all','{FILECOPY} "%root%\\Apps\\ActualMultipleMonitors\\MultiMonitorSettings.ini" "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Actual Multiple Monitors\\"','{FILECOPY} "%root%\\Apps\\ActualMultipleMonitors\\Options.ini" "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Actual Multiple Monitors\\"','{FILECOPY} "%root%\\Apps\\ActualMultipleMonitors\\UIPreferences.ini" "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Actual Multiple Monitors\\"'];
pn++;

prog[pn]=['Ad Muncher'];
shortdesc[pn]=['Ad Blocking Software. Protect against malware.'];
uid[pn]=['ADMUNCHER'];
dflt[pn]=['yes'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
bit64[pn]=['no'];
cat[pn]=['Apps'];
cmds[pn]=['"%root%\\Apps\\AdMuncher\\am.exe" /S /C "%root%\\Apps\\AdMuncher\\am_ConfigWithRegistration.amc"'];
desc[pn]=['Ad Muncher'];
pn++;

prog[pn]=['Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro'];
uid[pn]=['ACROBAT9PRO'];
dflt[pn]=['yes'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
bit64[pn]=['no'];
cat[pn]=['Apps'];
cmds[pn]=['"%root%\\Apps\\Acrobat\\Acrobat 9 Standard\\setup.exe"','"%root%\\Apps\\Acrobat\\Acrobat9x64PDFiFilter.msi" /quiet','"%root%\\Apps\\Acrobat\\Acrobat9x64ThumbnailFix.msi" /quiet'];
desc[pn]=['Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro'];
pn++;

prog[pn]=['Adobe Air'];
uid[pn]=['ADOBEAIR'];
dflt[pn]=['yes'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
bit64[pn]=['no'];
cat[pn]=['Apps'];
cmds[pn]=['"%root%\\Apps\\AdobeAir.exe" -silent'];
desc[pn]=['Adobe Air'];
pn++;

prog[pn]=['Adobe Flash'];
uid[pn]=['ADOBEFLASH'];
dflt[pn]=['yes'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
bit64[pn]=['no'];
cat[pn]=['Apps'];
cmds[pn]=['"%root%\\Apps\\AdobeFlash_FF.exe" -install','"%root%\\Apps\\AdobeFlash_IE.exe" -install'];
desc[pn]=['Adobe Flash for IE'];
pn++;

prog[pn]=['Brightwire Support Agent (Kasaya)'];
uid[pn]=['BRIGHTWIREAGENT'];
dflt[pn]=['yes'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
bit64[pn]=['no'];
cat[pn]=['Apps'];
cmds[pn]=['"%root%\\Apps\\BrightwireSupportAgent4Desktops.exe"'];
desc[pn]=['Brightwire Support Agent (Kasaya)'];
pn++;

prog[pn]=['Customize the Start Menu & Taskbar'];
uid[pn]=['CUSTOMIZEMENUS'];
ordr[pn]=[30];
dflt[pn]=['yes'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
bit64[pn]=['yes'];
cat[pn]=['Post Install'];
cmds[pn]=['"%root%\\Apps\\PostInstall\\CustomizeStartMenuAndTaskbar.vbs"'];
desc[pn]=['Post Install Stuff'];
pn++;

prog[pn]=['Java Runtime Environment'];
uid[pn]=['JAVA'];
dflt[pn]=['yes'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
bit64[pn]=['no'];
cat[pn]=['Apps'];
cmds[pn]=['"%root%\\Apps\\Java\\Java_x86.exe" /s /v "/qn REBOOT=Suppress JAVAUPDATE=0 EULA=1"','{JSCRIPT}=if (getBits()==64) RunCmd(\'"%root%\\Apps\\Java\\Java_x64.exe" /s /v "/qn REBOOT=Suppress JAVAUPDATE=0 EULA=1"\'%comma%false%comma%true)'];
desc[pn]=['Installs 32-bit JRE and, if 64-bit OS is detected, installs 64-bit JRE.'];
pn++;

prog[pn]=['Microsoft Office 2010'];
uid[pn]=['MSOFFICE2010'];
ordr[pn]=[29];
dflt[pn]=['no'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
bit64[pn]=['no'];
cat[pn]=['Office'];
cmds[pn]=['"%root%\\Apps\\Microsoft Office\\2010\\setup.exe"'];
desc[pn]=['Microsoft Office'];
pn++;

prog[pn]=['Screenpresso'];
uid[pn]=['SCREENPRESSO'];
dflt[pn]=['yes'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
bit64[pn]=['no'];
cat[pn]=['Apps'];
cmds[pn]=['"%root%\\Apps\\Screenpresso\\Screenpresso.exe" /install pf /silent','{FILECOPY} "%root%\\Apps\\Screenpresso\\settings.xml" "%LocalAppData%\\LearnPulse\\Screenpresso\\"'];
desc[pn]=['Screenpresso'];
pn++;

prog[pn]=['Vertical WaveIP ViewPoint Client'];
uid[pn]=['WAVEIPCLIENT'];
dflt[pn]=['no'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
bit64[pn]=['no'];
cat[pn]=['Apps (Optional)'];
cmds[pn]=['"%root%\\Apps\\NetSetup\\setup.exe" /S /v /qn'];
desc[pn]=['Vertical WaveIP ViewPoint Client'];
pn++;

prog[pn]=['Windows Live Essentials'];
uid[pn]=['WINDOWSLIVEESSENTIALS'];
dflt[pn]=['yes'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
bit64[pn]=['no'];
cat[pn]=['Apps'];
cmds[pn]=['"%root%\\Apps\\WindowsLive\\WL.exe" /q /NoLaunch /NoToolbarCEIP /NoHomepage /NoSearch /AppSelect:Messenger%comma%MovieMaker%comma%Silverlight%comma%WLSync%comma%IDCRL32%comma%IDCRL64','{REGEDIT} "%root%\\Apps\\WindowsLive\\WL_RegistrySettings.reg"'];
desc[pn]=['Windows Live Essentials'];
pn++;

// End of program definitions ...

Edited by FoaMDarT

Hello,

I also used the Office Customization Tool and -> cmds[pn]=['"%root%\\Apps\\Microsoft Office\\2010\\setup.exe"'];

and everything is working perfect (it waits until office is installed and then goes to the next command).

The thing I noticed is that you don't have an order number -> ordr[pn]=[29]; for example for every item in your config file.

Don't know if this is the problem but maybe you can add an order number for every item. (didn't test this)

Maybe you can check and test again.

greetz, DJPro

You must use this command for office 2010 with *.msp

"%wpipath%\INSTALL\OFFICE2007X86\setup.exe" /adminfile CUSTOM.MSP (custom or whatever name you gave to msp)

and the WPI shouldn't move on next item...

Tried this without success. Check out the time stamps on this log.

Monday, February 28, 2011 1:46:43 PM
Program: Microsoft Office 2010-2
Unique ID: MSOFFICE2010-2
Order: 900014
Category: Office
Monday, February 28, 2011 1:46:43 PM - cmd1 Success (returned code 0): "C:\PostInstall\Apps\Office\2010\setup.exe" /adminfile "C:\PostInstall\Apps\Office\2010\x86\Updates\SetupCustomizations.msp"
Monday, February 28, 2011 1:46:44 PM - Finished installation.

Again, Office installs correctly but WPI doesn't wait for it to finish.

I'll try giving everything an order number as a next attempt, but I don't have high hopes.

Hello,

I also used the Office Customization Tool and -> cmds[pn]=['"%root%\\Apps\\Microsoft Office\\2010\\setup.exe"'];

and everything is working perfect (it waits until office is installed and then goes to the next command).

The thing I noticed is that you don't have an order number -> ordr[pn]=[29]; for example for every item in your config file.

Don't know if this is the problem but maybe you can add an order number for every item. (didn't test this)

Maybe you can check and test again.

greetz, DJPro

No luck. Thanks for the idea though. It seems strange I'd be the only one having this issue. I tried on a completely fresh download of WPI with the same results.

Not sure whether it might make any difference but with my installation I have the msp file in the same folder as the main setup.exe file so there is no redirection to an alternative folder (x86\Updates\) it just 'finds' the named msp file.

May be worth a try? :-)

Cheers

Dreddnort

Not sure whether it might make any difference but with my installation I have the msp file in the same folder as the main setup.exe file so there is no redirection to an alternative folder (x86\Updates\) it just 'finds' the named msp file.

May be worth a try? :-)

Cheers

Dreddnort

Thanks for the reply. Are you sure that works?

According to Microsoft documentation, and my own experience, setup.exe will only "auto find" a .msp customization file located in the Updates folder.

By using the OCT, you customize Office and save your customizations in a Setup customization .msp file. You place the file in the Updates folder on the network installation point. When you install Office, Setup looks for a Setup customization file in the Updates folder and applies the customizations. The Updates folder can only be used to deploy software updates during an initial installation of Office 2010.

Doing this works perfectly fine as far as applying the customizations, but WPI doesn't wait for it to finish installing. This is exactly the procedure I'm using in the original post.

This is not a new problem. It started with Office 2007. We found the workaround, not cure, for it. But now 2010 has a new issue.

For now, try adding a second command to Office, {SLEEP} 360

This will pause for 360 seconds before going to next item. All I have for you for noq.

This is not a new problem. It started with Office 2007. We found the workaround, not cure, for it. But now 2010 has a new issue.

For now, try adding a second command to Office, {SLEEP} 360

This will pause for 360 seconds before going to next item. All I have for you for noq.

Cool. Thanks for the info. mritter. I can quit trying everything under the sun now. :D