How exactly do I install Java JRE 6 on win-98?

Guest wsxedcrfv

Guest wsxedcrfv

The version-numbering of these JRE's is crazy. Is version 1.6 the same as 6?

So I've downloaded jre-6u23-windows-i586.exe and when I try to run it, it causes a page fault and craps out. I can unpack it using 7-zip, but I'm not sure what to do with the contents (just move them around over-top my existing install of JRE 5 update 22?).

Or do I have to set a certain KernelEx compatibility setting for jre-6u23-windows-i586.exe before I run it?

(I'm trying to get Jdownloader to run under win-98, and it sort-of does with JRE 5 update 22, but they say it really needs JRE 6).

The version-numbering of these JRE's is crazy. Is version 1.6 the same as 6?

Not quite, actually. the JRE's have a major revision number and then an update number. JRE5 is a prior version than JRE6. Then you have to consider update numbers from there. JRE6u22 is an earlier version than JRE6u23.

As I understand it, the major revision number involves how the Runtime handles Java code. If that gets changed, the Java applets become incompatible. As for updates that goes for adding new features, bug fixes, and changes - all that don't break backwards compatibility.

You may be able to get higher versions to work properly with KernelEx, but I will say the last version I have here on my Windows ME disk that I know that works with 98/ME is JRE6U6. You can download prior versions of Java software here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/archive-139210.html

Edited by Glenn9999

Here it goes like that with KernelEx installed for the latest java runtimes. I run the executable which seems to autoexit without doing anything. In fact it extracts an msi installer + cab file to a subfolder of C:\Windows\Application Data\Sun\Java named as the version to install. Then I run the msi installer from there and it installs normally. Just installed the newly released update 24 today, no problems.

:hello:

Wsxedcrfv, you need to uninstalled previous version and clean all tracks of it.

To install a new one, you can use the way mentioned by loblo or that discovered by WIN98SE:

After installation, you need to disable Java next-generation plugin and also renamed it directory (to force Java to use an older plugin).

Btw, I'm using Java 6 update 24 now.

Edited by rainyd

Guest wsxedcrfv

Ok, thanks for the tips everyone. I do have JRE 6 update 23 installed and seems to be working.

And JDownloader is also working. So that's another useful program that runs on Win-98 thanks to KernelEx.

If you do a lot of downloading from "one-click hosters" like Rapidshare, hotfile, fileserve (etc) then you should look at Jdownloader.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried 8u8 firefox acted like there was nothing at all and told me i need to dl java, i'm trying 6u24 now. even if it doesn't work on FF i'm gonna see if it is good enough to run this java psp emulator.

EDIT

well nothing on emu, runescape tries to load up atleast it doesn't prompt me to install java instead it sits there and these blank java dos windows open up.

Edited by cdoublejj