Can't un-install 3rd party drivers

leoliver

I have Win XP Pro SP3 on my Dell 4550 Dimension computer. I recently had to UN-install Acronis Disk Director 10.0 and Acronis True Image Home 10.0 because TI 10 was no longer working properly, The I re-installed both products and found that TI 10 was still not working well. Which concerns me because computer back ups are very important. I used Revo to UN-install , but it seems that 2- Acronis drivers were still on my system. The Acronis "snapman" and "timounter" drivers load when my computer boots, I've used "Auto Runs" software , "device remover" and "device manager" to disable or delete them , and when I reboot I always get the screen which says to boot to "The Last Know Good Configuration". Despite the fact that I UN-installed all Acronis Software , these 2 Acronis drivers remain and my computer will not boot without them.

I downloaded the "Acronis clean up utility" and it failed to remove the 2 drivers. I tried booting into "Safe-Mode" , but the 2 Acronis drivers loaded while booting to Safe Mode. While in Safe Mode , I used "Auto-Runs" to disable them, re-booted and my computer went back to the "The Last Know Good Configuration". And after rebooting to the "The Last Know Good Configuration" , I always find that the Acronis drivers are installed and re-enabled . I posted this problem on the Acronis Forums and received no replies to my post , which is why I'm posting here.

So my problem is I can't perform a clean re-install of Acronis TI 10 back up software , to back up my computer. Which means now I have no back ups.

Does anyone know of a way I can remove these 2 corrupted drivers and still boot into Windows? I have a slip-streamed Windows install disc that I made with Nlite. Would performing a repair install remove these 2 drivers from my computer?

Replies will be appreciated !

Acronis drivers are evil. :realmad: They recently almost fubar'd my system.

I installed True Image to test because I was looking for a way to backup my sisters recovery partition. When I went to uninstall it, the uninstaller failed. :realmad: So I deleted all file traces of it from my system and used Autoruns to delete the driver entries, shell extensions, etc. When I went to reboot the computer I got a blue screen 07B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

Luckily, I always install XP twice. Once on C and once on D. I use the XP on D to repair C and other stuff. I had an ERUNT backup from when I first installed XP and was able to restore the system hive to it's pristine condition. :thumbup

So be careful about removing the driver files (you might get an 07B and have to reinstall). It appears they get ingrained into the system and Autoruns alone will not remove everything.

You just need to boot to the recovery console from an XP CD and disable the drivers and remove the associated files.

I was told that, because i have a OEM computer , if I boot into the Rcovery Console, I won't be able to get out of Rcovery Console. Something about the passwords.

Acronis drivers are evil. :realmad: They recently almost fubar'd my system.

I installed True Image to test because I was looking for a way to backup my sisters recovery partition. When I went to uninstall it, the uninstaller failed. :realmad: So I deleted all file traces of it from my system and used Autoruns to delete the driver entries, shell extensions, etc. When I went to reboot the computer I got a blue screen 07B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

Luckily, I always install XP twice. Once on C and once on D. I use the XP on D to repair C and other stuff. I had an ERUNT backup from when I first installed XP and was able to restore the system hive to it's pristine condition. :thumbup

So be careful about removing the driver files (you might get an 07B and have to reinstall). It appears they get ingrained into the system and Autoruns alone will not remove everything.

Thanks for the warning about removing Acronis drivers. Maybe I was lucky I didn't remove them because I've no back up to restore to.

If you can't access you computer from the recovery console of the installation CD, you should still be able to use a winPE CD or by connecting the hard drive containing the windows installation on another working computer to clean properly the drivers (as described in the jaclaz's post) .

If you can't access you computer from the recovery console of the installation CD, you should still be able to use a winPE CD or by connecting the hard drive containing the windows installation on another working computer to clean properly the drivers (as described in the jaclaz's post) .

Well, NO.

The instructions are from a normally booted windows.

Simply DO NOT delete the drivers files, BEFORE having removed the entries in the Registry, rebooted AND checked twice and thrice that they are not anymore in use.

Upperfilters and lowerfilters cannot be detected by autoruns and similia.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

It shouldn't be that bad.

There are instructions:

http://kb.acronis.com/content/1620

http://forum.acronis.com/forum/11748

http://kb.acronis.com/content/1622

They ARE actually evil.

Never heard of ANY problem with OEM Recovery Console.

jaclaz

I'll try the procedures on the links you posted.

Here's the web-page where I saw a warning about a OEM Recovery Console.......My link , see the warning in the summary section.